Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building my own camper interior (tips?)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmattp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Building my own camper interior (tips?) Reply with quote

Ok, I'm willing to accept that I will probably need to make up my own plans. Not a problem. But the only thing I'm afraid of is using the wrong screws, or tearing up the metal on the floors/walls. Oh, and what kind of wood to use. Right now all I want/need to do is make cabinets, and maybe a sink. Oh yeah, it's going in a vanagon most likely. Sorry it's not aircooled.

Any tips?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Building my own camper interior (tips?) Reply with quote

It would be easier and most likely cheaper to purchase them from a salvage yard. Where are you located? I know of several in SC.

If you decide to build, your options are almost limitless. You can get cabinet grade hardware in most towns- look under lumber or cabinetmaking supplies. If you're not worried about staining it (ie you plan to paint or laminate) then any plywood from Lowes/HomeDepot, etc will work. Remember to try to keep the weight down. When putting screws into metal, be sure to use metal screws so that the hold better. Personally, if I take a screw out, I try to replace it with a stainless one.
blackchop65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Building my own camper interior (tips?) Reply with quote

my bus (aircooled though) has custom built cabinets in it. the cabinet holds the stove,sink, and icebox, plus has 3 drawers and a bottom storage area. all made of partlicle wood. but will be covered with plywood and the counter/cabinet top will have a vinyl covering.
actually works out real nice.
all set behind the drivers side seat.

i do like the looks of the original cabinets etc, but custom is cool too, when done right.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: