Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil leaks- do any engines not leak? FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dead 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having small leaks coming from the acorn nuts down by the sump. When changing the oil a few days ago I applied Hylomar to the gaskets that goes on the strainer and then also applied Hylomar to the studs where the acorn nuts screw on. No more leaks! Very Happy

"The American Dream - true enough because you gotta be asleep to believe it"
RanX0R0X
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
RanX0R0X wrote:
With oil pressure hitting 150+ psi

Shut that sucker down Shocked . You have a problem. No wonder you've had oil cooler seal problems.

I don't even have it together yet so I'm not seeing any oil pressure at all Very Happy

That figure is from the Aircooled VW Interchange Manual:

"Be aware that even the stock oil system is capable of 150psi on a pressure gauge when the oil is cold. If a high-volume pump is used, especially in conjunction with aftermarket relief valves, pressures as much as 300psi are not uncommon when the engine is first fired up, even when the stock by-pass (relief) valve is used!...."
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RanX0R0X wrote:
so I'm not seeing any oil pressure at all Very Happy

No pressure at all- better shut it down Laughing Laughing Laughing

I just plain don't know what to think about that other stuff thou. Confused; Sure, if the relief is stuck closed. But I just plain can't imagine it if the valves are functioning.
RanX0R0X
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:

I just plain don't know what to think about that other stuff thou. Confused; Sure, if the relief is stuck closed. But I just plain can't imagine it if the valves are functioning.

Yeah, I was surprised too. I have read on Aircooled.net that they recommend synthetic due to better cooling properties. Since VWs use oil and air as primary coolers that seems logical.

Another site recommend 10W-40 dino oil for new engines because it flows well.

I'm going to run synthetic and change it 1k miles or less. While synth is more expensive, the VW engine doesn't use that much and oil is critical to the engine and engine life. An oil in 5w50 is going to flow very well when cold and cool better after the engine heats up.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
My 40hp 1200 "sweats". Doesn't drip, but there always seems to be a drop on one or two of the acorn nuts on the oil sump plate, and always a drop on the bottom of the bellhousing. Never actually drops off. Just hangs there.

Me too. Last year it was "drip, drip, drip" from a few places but I found out the front crankshaft seal had gone and was letting oil out into the fan and spraying it EVERYWHERE! After I fixed that and cleaned the mess up she's been pretty constant with oil consumption and where she leaks (A drip here and there at the sump plate and occasionally the oil filter). But like 79SuperVert said, it mostly "sweats".
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hippie
Samba Tinner

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine only leaks to the point of dripping on the ground with full synthetic.
RanX0R0X
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:

I was just reading a tech note on Gene Bergs site and his comment was that the 150 psi readings and up were taken at the oil pump. By the time a standard oil gauge reads it it has passed through relief valves and other restrictions reducing it to a nominal 40 psi.

http://www.geneberg.com/article.php?ArticleID=243

But the problem is at the pump outlet itself. If the oil is too cold and slow flowing the pressure shoots up.

That's more my concern than the synthetics heat or engine wear protection. Those are wonderful characteristics but for our little flat fours it's the oil pressure and the squirrely little valve and routing systems that tell the real problem -- oil pressure.

Cold oil is thick and syrupy and hot oil is runny. The enigma faced by the original designers. We don't face that problem. A good synthetic flows the same no matter the temperature.
spiderjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no professional mechanic but have built maybe 1/2 dozen or so full rebuilds over the years, and too many partial rebuilds to count 'em. I have found that when motors are new and properly assembled they don't leak. At least initially. Leaks usually accur at the same places and indicate something needs to be looked at, replaced or retorqued. I generally use permatex on most gasket areas and it seams to decrease/postpone most leaks. here's what I have notice over the years regarding common leaks for what it is worth.

CASE HALVES:
In theory they shouldn't need any sealant at all since they are machined in pairs. In practise I have always used aviation permatex and blue locktite and don't have trouble if the torquing sequence is followed properly. In older motors that are seeping sometimes just a retorquing of all the case bolts is enough to stop it.

VALVE COVERS:
I use some fine sand paper on a block and smooth the sealing surfaces on the heads. Then put permatex (any good sealer would probably work here) between the seal and the cover. No sealant between the gasket and the head, just a film of oil. I use off the shelf gaskets whatever is available and reuse them a couple times when doing valve adjustments. My covers never leak.

OIL COOLER:
No tricks here. Just need to use the correct seals. I don't use sealant here. My experience has shown me that trying to use a SP oil cooler with a late model case just doesn't work well even with those fancy adaptar seals. They just never hold up for me. I get best results using a single relief case for SP applications. For DP applications either case is fine as the above mentioned seals work fine for adapting earlier cases to doghouse type applications.

PUSHROD TUBES:
I have found that leaks here usually indicate that the heads need to be retorqued. Some sealant on these will help to delay the leaks a bit.

FRONT MAIN SEAL:
If this is leaking you just gotta pull the engine a replace it. While you are at it check the endplay and retorque everything.

OIL SCREEN:
I put a tiny bit of permatex just around the outside edges of the paper seals. They still seem to seep a bit.

GENERATOR STAND:
I dont usually have an issue here if torqued properly. Old engines usually just need the nuts tightened and the leaking will go away

FUEL PUMP:
I usually don't have trouble here either. again just some seepage usually.

Did I miss anything?

Remember this is just my two cents worth based on my experience, but if a motor is new and I assembled it properly it usually doesn't leak. As the motor ages if I pull it occassionally, like for valve jobs and the like, and retorque eveything properly even an old motor wont leak much. Maybe just some seepage which is easily taken care of with routine cleaning s(purple power).
enjoispammy8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mines got a leak, im not sure exactly where from yet. but im betting its the seal behind the flywheel.

Desertbusman wrote:
Is there a message here? Enjoy Spammy Ate

EZ Gruv wrote:
Way to fuck up some little kids riding in the car next to you.

hazetguy wrote:
you need to be doing better drugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My engine seems to have developed a leak and it appears to be the front main seal (says rear here).

Quote:
There is also a seal between the crankshaft and the flywheel called the rear main seal. Many busses leak there because the seal was installed incorrectly or they used a cheap seal. This seal is a nuisance because it means dropping the engine and removing the flywheel.

Are the reinz seals from Bus depot OK or is the Elring Klinger seal better. I have already had it replaced once before and will do it myself this time so I know what is used for it.
Rusty O'Toole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old time aircraft mechanic taught me to put Harley crankcases together with Permatex #2 and a silk thread laid on the middle of the joint O ring style. I think he learned this in the 1930s.

The dental floss sounds like the same idea. If this is the case, the thing to use would be small round waxed floss, any flavor.
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stock 1600 leaks...not badly, and not all from one particular spot. Just slow, steady leaks from all around the engine. I don't think the case has ever been split, 104,xxx miles. No puddles or anything, just a few drops.
vw donvieira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the silk thread and waxed floss are tricks that John Hayes taught me to keep the cases sealed. They work really well. vwdon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TrickyThom
Samba Anarchist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRustySuper wrote:
My stock 1600 leaks...not badly, and not all from one particular spot. Just slow, steady leaks from all around the engine. I don't think the case has ever been split, 104,xxx miles. No puddles or anything, just a few drops.

I also have almost 90K on original engine. Maybe 2 drops after driving hard for 3+ hours in hot conditions.
Other than that, nothing. Neither did my last buses after I rebuilt the engines.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a SABO seal for mine. Hopefully this will do it. That and I will double check the flywheel to make sure it isn't grooved.
hamid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: oil leak Reply with quote

HI

I recently got a 78 bus. it was just leaking few drops right under the engine while the engine was runing. then the engine was dropped by bunch of not so honest mechanics for puting on a new trany. then, I took the bus home. now when the engine is on. I can see the oil driipping on the passenger side right under the head cover. can you help diagnose this. when the engine is not running there is NO leaking. help thanks.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: oil leak Reply with quote

hamid wrote:
HI

I recently got a 78 bus. it was just leaking few drops right under the engine while the engine was runing. then the engine was dropped by bunch of not so honest mechanics for puting on a new trany. then, I took the bus home. now when the engine is on. I can see the oil driipping on the passenger side right under the head cover. can you help diagnose this. when the engine is not running there is NO leaking. help thanks.

Eithor the valve cover or the push rod tubes.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hamid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: oil leak Reply with quote

thanks

I will check those and reply later. thanks a lot
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure the VW logo on the valve covers is upside down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hamid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: oil leak Reply with quote

thanks

I have to get under the bus and check things out. if it is the push rod tubes what is to do? I hope I do not need to do a valve job now! thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: