Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5-Speed Trans Help Please
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: 5-Speed Trans Help Please Reply with quote

I just went and looked at an old Thing (type 181) that someone was serious about setting up for off road use awhile ago. Probably back in the late 80's judging by the work. High quality for the most part, just old school (fine by me) and a little haggard from sitting for quite a few years.

Anyway, it has a bus (type 4) 1.7 engine crammed in it, mated to a 5-speed trans. I crawled under it and it looks like a regular bus box as near as I can tell, maybe a bit longer towards the nose cone. It's been a while since I studied the greasy bottom of a late bus, so I can't be sure. The guy who owns the car doesn't really know much history on it, and doesn't realize how unusal a 5-speed is.

Anyone know where this baby came from? I am thinking VW must have made a 5-speed for modern big window buses that are still in service in south America, Mexico or Europe somewhere. Of course, I didn't do anything smart like write down any markings or take pictures or anything.

Seems bitchin' to me to have a freeway flyer in a car that I am going to drive all over Baja in. My intention is not to restore it anyway and I had plans for a regular 4-speed bus box so I think this should be even better.

Anyone have experience with this trans?

Thanks!
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: 5-Speed Trans Help Please Reply with quote

This sounds like one of Gary Peloquin's 5-speed conversions for the 091 bus box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: