Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

For all you musicians.....
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My double cab is our band rig. We can get my drum kit, bass rig, guitar amps x 2 and all the small PA stuff as well as all four members in the DoKa. It makes a pretty good gig rig. I still need to make a canvas cover for the back area so that everything stays covered. Right now we just have to tarp it.

I like that guitar amp install. Very nicely done!

Craig

ps - You can check out our band Speedqueen Underground at:

myspace.com/speedqueenunderground
RevKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run my old Zoom 3030 Multieffects pedal through the CD Deck in my old Toyota wagon. I picked up a cigarette power adapter for it at Radio Shack to power it and then ran it into the aux input.

What I love about my Vanagon is my Crate Blue Voodoo half stack fits perfectly in the back without having to fold down the seats and I still have room my my rack effects, pedal board, and guitars.

On a related subject my dad has some nice vintage tube hookups right now. I replaced the Groove Tube repackaged Sovtek 12AX7s that came in it with some nice American black plates the other week, HUGE HUGE HUGE difference. The 6L6 Russian equivalents he got for me just arrived from Czechoslovakia the other day, I pick them up Monday. If you have a tube amp start buying up tubes now, especially 12AX7s because they're starting to get really hard to find and really the only new ones being manufactured are coming from China which are absolute crap. Half the ones coming off the assembly line get thrown away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting into recording and I've actually used the westy as a portable control room twice. We were recording a demo for my friend's band. I parallel parked next to their garage door and set up the laptop and monitor speakers on the table and ran all the cables under the door. That was fun. Also managed to do it again in my 7 passenger, but that was much less cool.
I also haul the PA system and stuff for some local shows I help put on. I'm always amazed how much stuff can fit. I'll pop a drumkit and a few guitar cabs in there and still somehow have room for a few more speakers and boxes and stuff. Incredible. It's like a magic show unloading it in front of people...

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RevKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I helped my buddy move a big '63 Wurlitzer organ about 6 months ago. Everyone elses van was 2 inches too short, the Vanagon had 2 inches of clearance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use my Vanagon for practicing, just to get warmed up (we don't have the liberty of sound checks and such since all we play is open mic's and one gig so far) but we're only two guys with acoustic guitars, so it works out very well.

www.atomicdrawers.com
www.atomicdrawers.com/atomicblog

If anybody's interested, you can search Youtube for atomic drawers and we've got a few songs out there.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RevKevin wrote:
On a related subject my dad has some nice vintage tube hookups right now. I replaced the Groove Tube repackaged Sovtek 12AX7s that came in it with some nice American black plates the other week, HUGE HUGE HUGE difference. The 6L6 Russian equivalents he got for me just arrived from Czechoslovakia the other day, I pick them up Monday. If you have a tube amp start buying up tubes now, especially 12AX7s because they're starting to get really hard to find and really the only new ones being manufactured are coming from China which are absolute crap. Half the ones coming off the assembly line get thrown away.

To extend this threadjack: My "practice amp" is a 1942 Wurlitzer Leslie style cabinet. I just had to replace the original RCA 7027 tubes a few years ago with a matched pair of Russian 6L6 tubes built to 7027 specs. I've got another amp my dad built in the '50s that uses 807 power tubes... I guess I should take your advice and buy replacements now.

Back on topic: It's cool that MadMax has used the Vanagon as a control room for recording. I've only used it as a quiet place to record while I wait for kids in dance lessons and such, but my son and his friend are taking a sound engineering class and wanting to get into recording bands so I'll have to suggest that to him to use in a pinch.
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote] Carat I am sitting here listening to your tunes on myspace, KiLLeR JaMs! I can dig it, especially Venus Toast. Do you have any more samples?[/quote]

Thanks for the complement! All of those tunes were just jams that we recorded one night and then developed them into actual tunes. We have recorded some new stuff, haven't had time to post it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CasaDelSol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post! Sure beats playing through my Pignose amp. I will endeavor to rig something like this in CasDelSol this summer. Too cool!
RevKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksaholic wrote:
My "practice amp" is a 1942 Wurlitzer Leslie style cabinet.

There's a guy down in Texas who builds amps out of old Hammonds they have some of the best transformers. He guts the circuitry completely and turns them into really clean sounding amps. I think it's called Bear Claw or Bear Paw or something.
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would share a couple of pics from a gig this past weekend. This is an entire drum set, 3 amps, a quiver of guitars and misc. Carried all of this and 4 guys...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: