Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

zip ties for CV boots?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: zip ties for CV boots? Reply with quote

okay, so i'm doing my front end. new CVs, bearings, and big brake upgrade.

after much cursing, i get the outer CVs off and go to put on the new ones. get them on, get the boots around them. then i got to attach the metal strap clamps around the boot. the only problem is both clamps small and large are totally loose when attached. and they only have one setting really, if you try tighter, the little bumps interfere with the the clamp. kind of hard to describe. but i'm not sure what to do. they are clearly too lose to be effective. the inner CV had a similar type clamp and it holds on great.

so, for the larger side of the boot i tried using two zip ties to see if it would work. i got them on tight enough that i couldn't spin the boot, but i'm not sure it's a good solution. seems kinda dumb. should i go find another clamp? or try something else? wrap the clamping area with something so the clamp is actually tight? the boots are a bit different then the ones i had so i can't reuse the old clamps.

anyone else ever run into this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: zip ties for CV boots? Reply with quote

<<anyone else ever run into this?>>

No, But I have used Nylon Ties for CV boots many times.

Works mighty fine.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are special pliers for those clamps, I dont have them, and I cant remember the work around that I used. But I feel like I may have pinched the clamps after they were locked in place. so there were a couple of "U's" or bumps in the clamp. It was about 6 years ago when I changed the CVs on my Syncro (R.I.P. Sad ).
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dpdunrite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: cv boot clamp pliers Reply with quote

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_009998940...921x00003a

Sears sells these

DP
"Niles" 85 xj6 Jaguar Sauveriegn
"Al" 07 Cheverolet Silverado Z71 LT crewcab
"Soney" 78 18' Sunrunner runabout
"Kelly" Wife
"Kirby" Black Lab
"Bear" Black cat
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: cv boot clamp pliers Reply with quote

dpdunrite wrote:

Sears sells these

DP

thanks, i found them on amazon too. maybe i'll go that route, i'm a sucker for new tools.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a very detailed tech article from our pals at Van Cafe that talks about this very topic.

http://www.van-cafe.com/?ip=1150562894&pa=ip

from the article:
"-Large zip ties (boots may come with metal clamps—use them if you like, but the zip ties are much easier to use, don’t require a special tool to use them, and are less likely to cut into the boot)"

So it looks like zip ties work just fine. Check out this article, as it seems very informative.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried zip-ties on the front outer CVs of my wifes BMW and although the boot never came off, I would continually find small spots of CV grease on the front wheels. What I found out was that when turning full lock, when the CVs were fully extened on one side and fully contracted on the other, the zip-ties were distorting just enough to allow a small amount of grease to escape. I replaced the zip-ties with the proper metal CV clamps and have not had any further issues.

I guess what I am saying is that I think that zip-ties are perfectly fine for inner CVs on the front and both inner and outer on the rear, but not so much for the out front. There is just too much articulation at the out fronts.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:

I guess what I am saying is that I think that zip-ties are perfectly fine for inner CVs on the front and both inner and outer on the rear, but not so much for the out front. There is just too much articulation at the out fronts.

good insight loogy, as i said i can't resist the "need" for new tools, so i already picked one up this morning at the local toolland.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been using zip ties on cvs for years. I used to use the worm type clamps, but those seem to come loose before the zipties. i always carry spare zip ties and check them peridocally. Seven years using them and no problems yet. I say, if it works stick with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my zip ties from a boat repar shop. They use special ones for fuel lines that have the locking block of the zip tie that are countoured to fit tightly around round fuel lines. Works great for me, but I only use them on the rear of my 2wd Westy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: