Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust sealing issues
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Exhaust sealing issues Reply with quote

I've been working the entire day to get my new (Dansk) heater boxes (72-74) to fit my heads (2.0l heads, AMC casting)

I have read Ratwell's write up on this subject which was very helpfull and pretty much every related forum post. I'm still having problems to get a good seal.

I have two questions;
1. When the exhaust is seated do to the 2 flanges have to be seated aswell? Or is is ok to have a little space between the head and the flanges?

2. I put the exhaust studs into the heads with the indicated torque value. However, the lower threads aren't completely in the head. Since the lower thread is a bit wider, this could pose a problem if the holes in the heater box flanges are too small, here's a picture:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2010: Amsterdam - Cape Town - FIFA World Cup -- 26.000km
2014: New York - Rio de Janeiro - FIFA World Cup -- 27.000km
http://www.oranjetrophy.nl
Camper Special Club Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is any space, you will have an exhaust leak. That stud should be flush with the surface of the head. I would think the heater box isn't seating because it's hitting the shoulder of that stud before it hits the head. I would try to get it flush with the head, or maybe just open up the holes in the heater boxes just at the end so it will sit flush.
Ritter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust sealing issues Reply with quote

MadMax78 wrote:

1. When the exhaust is seated do to the 2 flanges have to be seated aswell? Or is is ok to have a little space between the head and the flanges?

The two flanges (where the bolts go through) should not seat. In fact, if they do, you'll need to file some off of the mating side. There needs to be clearance to ensure the gasket gets squished and fills up any little voids. This won't happen if the flanges are making contact with the head first. Make sense?

As for your second question, I would await a more qualified responder. It doesn't look right though.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outer bosses on the heat exchanger flanges don't meet up tight with the head but could be hanging up on the stud. Have you ran it and heard a leak or are you still assembling?

You may need to grind a bit off the head end of that stud to get it down flush if you think it's hanging up.
Anneal the gaskets with a propane torch (blue heat, air cool) before installing as well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust sealing issues Reply with quote

[quote="Ritter"]
MadMax78 wrote:

The two flanges (where the bolts go through) should not seat. In fact, if they do, you'll need to file some off of the mating side. There needs to be clearance to ensure the gasket gets squished and fills up any little voids. This won't happen if the flanges are making contact with the head first. Make sense?

I understand that this has to happen, on the other hand, what would happen if force is exerted on the heater boxes (i.e. when lifting the engine), this would cause a force to push on one side of the gasket. This would squash the gasket on one side and cause a leak. If the flanges would have been seated the heater box can't tilt so this won't happen...

Does anyone know if it's normal on new AMC heads that the threads aren't flush with the head?

Thanks for the replies so far
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ritter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust sealing issues Reply with quote

MadMax78 wrote:
what would happen if force is exerted on the heater boxes (i.e. when lifting the engine), this would cause a force to push on one side of the gasket. This would squash the gasket on one side and cause a leak. If the flanges would have been seated the heater box can't tilt so this won't happen...

Got me there! I don't know as I had the experience of doing mine laying on my back under the bus. It was super fun!
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The outer bosses on the heat exchanger flanges don't meet up tight with the head but could be hanging up on the stud. Have you ran it and heard a leak or are you still assembling?

You may need to grind a bit off the head end of that stud to get it down flush if you think it's hanging up.
Anneal the gaskets with a propane torch (blue heat, air cool) before installing as well.

I'm still assembling (testing for leaks with compressed air), I just want to make sure that the exhaust pipes sit flush on the head before I anneal the gaskets and crush them. Taking of the head end of the studs is an option, maybe my only one...
At the moment I can get a seal which looks ok by eye and no blowby can be felt by hand. However, some leak detector revealed a lot of bubbles. Maybe the studs are just about 2mm out of the head and this is about the thickness of the gasket, causing a small leak. I guess taking down the studs should fix this.

I'm glad my engine is in a stand and not under my bus Razz
CarlSpackler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drill your flanges larger on the side where the interference is occuring so they'll clear the threads. You can run it all the way through too, if you wish, but at the very least, drill them out to 9mm for a cm or so into the flange.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdaddy is right about the gaskets needing annealed, but you must heat it beyond blue, copper requires being heated to a dull red, then either air cooled or dropped it in water if you are in a hurry, it makes no difference how you cool it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also this may be of help to you.....

http://www.bostonengine.com/articles/hbmanifold.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bursch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent another day on the HE's...

The Dansk repro is a bitch. The bend in the exhaustpipe of the 1/2 HE was way off, creating a mismatch on my header and engine tin and hitting the mustache. Spent a few hours carefully filing the sealing area 2mm down on one side to compensate.

Anyway, gone through the whole process of filing/marking/filing/marking/filing/etc. I'm still in the fase of test fitting with the un-annealed seals. When torqued to spec it's still leaking noticeably. Is it even possible to obtain a proper seal without annealing and using locktite 518?