Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Self-adjusting pistons on 1976 rear drums?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pogolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Self-adjusting pistons on 1976 rear drums? Reply with quote

Here's a good question: Is it possible to put self-adjusting pistons on the rear drum brakes on a 1976 bus? If so, which pistons for which year could I use?

Just re-adjusted the rear brakes and now that they're beautiful, I would love NOT to have to adjust them every couple months.
pogolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Self-adjusting pistons on 1976 rear drums? Reply with quote

I meant stars....self-adjusting stars. Oops.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Self-adjusting pistons on 1976 rear drums? Reply with quote

Interesting idea. The VW brake drum is not self cleaning so once you start down the road of never going in there ever, it's going to get cruddy. When I re-adjust the brakes I clean that area with brake cleaner and make sure there is a little anti-seize between the sides of the shoes and where they run on the backing plate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Self-adjusting pistons on 1976 rear drums? Reply with quote

ratwell,do you take off your drums to adjust your brakes?
pogolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Self-adjusting pistons on 1976 rear drums? Reply with quote

True....mine were pretty well covered in brake dust. But you have to admit...it sure would be nice if the shoes adjusted themselves.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Self-adjusting pistons on 1976 rear drums? Reply with quote

The shoes have to be backed off to adjust the brakes properly so it's no hardship for me to remove the wheel and the drum to check the state of the replacable parts and to see if the wheel cylinder is leaking. Not a big deal every 6-12 months.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Self-adjusting pistons on 1976 rear drums? Reply with quote

good advice, ratwell.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Self-adjusting pistons on 1976 rear drums? Reply with quote

When my 78 rear brakes are worn out, I am going to 'upgrade' to the 80 and up Vanagon rear brakes. They are self-adjusting.
One of these days....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: