Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Part suppliers? Recommended and avoided?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you quote some, link to others, ignore entire threads, skip over vendors, and in general, spend all that time for less results than anyone could get by searching for themselves?

Weird.
Bugs'n'Pugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: the-ovw.com Reply with quote

the-ovw.com

http://www.the-ovw.com

Buyer and Seller Feedback:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=202192
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=184202
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168465

Lotrat wrote:
I haven't tried www.the-ovw.com yet, but their prices look darn good. Not sure if I will ever go mail order...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbie13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had incorrect parts sent to me two times on two different orders with So-Cal Imports Crying or Very sad . I've used Gene Berg for their quality and knowledge and highly recommend them Razz .
Mildred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: BFY Obsolete Reply with quote

I am new to Kombi's and Forums, but have had my first bad experience dealing with US companies over the Net. BFY Obsolete took my money, didn't respond to emails, hung up when I phoned, promised goods would arrive 'next week' and yet 6 weeks later still no goods. No Tracking numbers, can't supply accurate Customs Number. All up their web site is great, their customer service is so indescribably lacking and their shipping ? Well who knows? I still have yet to receive anything.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned my lesson with those guys. It'll never happen again.
Maxtrax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSF wrote:
Why did you quote some, link to others, ignore entire threads, skip over vendors, and in general, spend all that time for less results than anyone could get by searching for themselves?

Weird.

First off, Thanks Pugs n Bugs.

I haven't been on for a while because of work. With all the BS ranting and arguing back and forth it was nice that someone went through and summed up the overall impressions for me.

I guess I will be ordering the windshield and seals through JBugs and calling BFY and seeing if they have the rest in stock. As for fast shipping: this isn't really a time pressing project as it is an after work hobby.

Thanks again
bnoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: BFY Reply with quote

Please do not order anything from BFY, I have had two bad experiences with them (never receiving items ordered and charged to credit card) the Better Business Bureau needs to investigate them. Wolfsburg West has always been very good. Sad
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg west, Gene Berg and Mid America for some things. I use to use BFY but after reading that thread I wont anymore. I also used to use cip1 but I don't believe in their $25 minimum.
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shano63 wrote:
Wolfsburg west, Gene Berg and Mid America for some things. I use to use BFY but after reading that thread I wont anymore. I also used to use cip1 but I don't believe in their $25 minimum.

A great read on MidAmerica.
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, i think it depends on what you are looking to purchase, i've had great luck with cb performance, west coast metric, wolfsburg west, cip1, and mid america motorworks, although part from mam seem to be on the low side of quiality! remember, you get the quality that you pay for, if its cheaper you'll know why when it rusts in 2 weeks after putting it on!

you can have everything you want, just don't want so much!

"the wrong way always seems the more reasonable."
george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Mark Twain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manyvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: here is my 2 cents on this whole thing... Reply with quote

I have been working VWs for 30 years. I have used them all! (Affiliated with a TOP NOTCH RESTO Shop).

It all depends on what you’re looking for! Different shops are best for certain things, so don't lock into just 1 shop. I live on the east coast and there are virtually no shops around here! Before I go on, I ALWAYS recommend finding used or NOS German parts for everything! I would much prefer to restore and OEM component than replacing with aftermarket. It takes more work, but in the long run, it is ALWAYS the best! (from clips, to pans, to beams, to engines, to distributors, to Carbs, to anything GERMAN stamped!) Nothing fits like real German parts. Period.

Now I know a lot of crap has been published about TDC. Most of which is BS (IMHO). I have recently finished a 2332cc stoker (built by my buddy at Autocraft, high end racing engines for midget and Baha). My parts supplier was Ben from TDC and he is about the best I have found in the business. He has had some really bad press about his engines, but what I have found is that if you stay within the guidelines of his policies (not unlike every supplier out there) he stands by everything! His engines have caused a lot of ruckus out there. He had an engine builder that was a hack, and as soon as he found issues with the engines, he fired the guy and stood by the engines (if you didn't tear it down- voiding warranty - like everyone else who sells engines does). Granted, it may cost you shipping to get it back (like everyone else would do), but he is behind his stuff 100%. I have had issues with Ben, not unlike every other supplier out there, but he has always put my best interest first, and has ALWAYS come through for me! It's all about the relationship! All we hear about is the NOT GOOD stuff, and when things go real well, most often we don't hear about that! (ie: out of 100 engines built, installed and running flawlessly, if 1 engine goes bad (which they will), we have a tendency to “peanut butter” spread the feedback to everything that supplier does. Not a good way to articulate experiences.)

Ben has great relationships with many suppliers and is a very reasonable guy to talk to and gets the parts you’re looking for at very good prices. He wants my business and will do whatever it takes to get it! No BS here!

I like A.C.E as well. I use Wolfburg West, CIP1, and many others but again, it all depends on what you’re looking for. IT PAYS TO SHOP AROUND AND TALK TO EVERYONE YOUR LOOKING TO DO BIZ WITH! My style is straight up, talk to them, if you like what you hear, then tell them.. "look, I have been around the block so I will try "you" if your straight with me. Don't F with me and we may have a long standing relationship.” If you have a problem, be straight! don't send BS before you give anyone out there a chance to get it resolved. And be patient! There are MANY shops vying for your business! YOU are in the driver’s seat... Do your homework!

I don't put to a ton of weight on reading about personal experiences of others. Most of my weight goes into MY own assessment of the situation and how well it was worked through by the supplier with ME.

Just my 2 cents! when dealing with the MANY suppliers out there, it's all about what your gut tells you. Like everything else, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! there are a ton of scammers out there (welcome to the World Wide Wait!)

Build a relationship FIRST! Then try doing business with them! If you don't like the way the person on the other end responds to your questions or concerns or Interest in YOUR business, then move on! There are plenty out there who would LOVE you business!

ManyVWs - aka Roger
'65 bone stock (best-in-show) car
'67 Prostreet
'66 21 window delux
'93 Eurovan
'03 GTI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ If all of that is BS about TDC and Ben, why is there so much negative feedback from so many people? Also, why have neither come here to address the issues in the feedback thread?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderator note:
We don't want to get into individual feedback topics here, we have the dedicated feedback threads for that.

In fact I'm not even sure what the point of this thread is, you can search on individual company names as needed.

I have decided to lock this for that reason.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: