Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Part suppliers? Recommended and avoided?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwhippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing more from "MAM"? they talk a good talk, but the going get tuff, they run Laughing
64SunroofVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered front turn signals for my '64 from JBugs...I received a left and right sided one that were obviously from different manufacturers. On one the rubber gasket was a very poor fit. I called to explain and asked to have them replaced with two from the same manufacturer, but never did get the right one. I ended up returning them both and they wouldn't reimburse me the shipping costs for their mistake and my correspondence to reimburse the shipping costs went unanswered. Consequently, they will never get my business again.

I have had good success with Wolfsburg West (convertible boot cover) and BFY obsolete (floor pans).
burdpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had great luck with Jbugs. Get really fast shipping. I bougt a light switch from Wolfsberg West and it fell apart the first time I used it. Got reimbursed for the switch but not for shipping. Other than that I have had good luck with them.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burdpete wrote:
Ive had great luck with Jbugs. Get really fast shipping. I bougt a light switch from Wolfsberg West and it fell apart the first time I used it. Got reimbursed for the switch but not for shipping. Other than that I have had good luck with them.

If you have experience with catalog/Internet ordering then you would know that there's probably no company that will reimburse shipping if the product is replaced.
burdpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I realize that. I shouldnt have made that sound negative. They were very polite when I contacted them. I was just a little disapointed with the quality of the switch.
Inky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
burdpete wrote:

If you have experience with catalog/Internet ordering then you would know that there's probably no company that will reimburse shipping if the product is replaced.

That doesn't mean they sholdn't. Companies should step up. Either they shouldn't screw up or they should make it 100% right when they do. The very fact that most of them overcharge for shipping is a good argument that they should refund it and reimburse the return cost as well when they dont' get things right.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not yet jumped into this fray as BAP has most of the ACVW parts I need, just about a 10 mile drive away, and they're open nights and Sundays. My comment is that I doubt that there are that many suppliers of certain parts, so all the suppliers essentially deliver the same part from the same source. Like I doubt that there's 20 manufacturers of turn signals for ACVW, I'd guess (off the top of my head) maybe three, maybe one in Europe. There can't be enough worldwide demand for a zillion manufacturers. So my opinion is just deal with a supplier that will stand by it, and take your chance. If you want European, you will pay more for it, but should be better quality.

Three months ago I bought a replacement fuel sending unit for my Mazda truck tank, special order from Autozone for $50. I took my multimeter to the store, along with the old one (to match up the size) and the ohms resistance on the new one was faulty, so I didn't take it. I ended up cleaning mine and bending the contact arm to fix it. I also saw at Rockauto.com the exact same fuel sender part number as Autozone had, and same at CSK, all made in Taiwan. I'm sure some, maybe even most are fine, but my special order was crap - luckily and didn't take it and install it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

angelo70bug wrote:
... i have found only one parts supplier to be the rudest and cheapest with the parts they push out onto the VW community. JBUGS always gives me poor service and decent products...

X2. When I'm working on my bug, I want my parts now so I go and get um. I live a few minutes from Jbugs, VW Paradise, and B&R Buggies.

Jbugs - Spent hundreds of dollars in there. The guys in the store either don't know much or don't want to answer any questions. They never heard of an H30/31 carb, tried to sell me the wrong axle beam bushings, but customer service is what gets me. Even Walmart says hi to me when I come in the store.

VW Paradise - In-store prices are different than what they have on the web which makes me mad, but there is no shipping cost for me, so I let it slide. Mark is way cool. Will tell you everything he knows.

B&R Buggies - Gary is another great guy. You have questions, he'll spend the time with you. I only bought my ball joints there and had them pressed into my arms, so I don't have alot to say. He was a little high on the parts, but I expect that from a shop. They need a web site so I can shop their prices.

I haven't tried www.the-ovw.com yet, but their prices look darn good. Not sure if I will ever go mail order...

I use to go to Warshawsky's when I lived in Chicago. You know them now as JC Whitney. They were in a rough part of town, but I like my parts in hand. Everything always came in an opened box, parts missing, used and abused. I would send stuff back over the will-call desk 2-3 times until I got something that looked new. Maybe they tried pushing all the mail order returns at the store. I was still able to build a bug with their stuff.
vwhippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just bought dissy & carb from CB performance, and i wasn't to happy when i open thew box!! Evil or Very Mad
the dissy was recommend by Glenn, which turned out to be a beauty Very Happy Very Happy thank you sir!!
but the carb turn out to be a Bocar which is'nt bad, but the website (CB) had Solex everywere!! Hello false advertising!! Twisted Evil
so, i called them up and asked them about it, and they said they don't carry Solex. i replyed that the website was misleading and that the site would need fixing
http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=528
Inky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwhippie wrote:
the carb turn out to be a Bocar which is'nt bad, but the website (CB) had Solex everywere!! Hello false advertising!! Twisted Evil
so, i called them up and asked them about it, and they said they don't carry Solex. i replyed that the website was misleading and that the site would need fixing
http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=528

Bait and switch, anyone? Mad
72supervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Part Suppliers? Recommended and avoided? Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West, BFY, and California Import Parts have been good. Good prices, customer service. California offers free shipping on a lot of stuff over a certain price but depending where you live "expedited" shipping can still be at least a week. Regular ground figure 10 plus days to the east coast.

I have had pretty good luck with my local Napa for some stuff. (No aircooled dealers locally.)

Be really careful when ordering some parts. Some of the quality control seems non existent. There is a sticky on this subject.
superman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugjuice82 wrote:
I've had nothing but great things to say about Airhead Parts. Their tech support is second to none(talk to Bob), have had NO quality issues, and they even carry later model parts(late T-1,Ghia, Bus and Vanagon).
They ship the same day and even though I live in MI, I get my orders in 5 days.

exactly, i got my last order within 5 days as specified. the part seem to be good. i havnt installed them yet though. but no ordering problems.

Jesus Saves

70 deluxe bus
74 ghia 1776 dual carb
67 manx clone

various other parts cars.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228364&highlight=superman73sb+bellsouth
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwhippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't you just love the "bait & switch", inky!!

just thought i would let you guys know (and everyone) before that happens to you
dubluvv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwhippie wrote:

just thought i would let you guys know (and everyone) before that happens to you

Solex doesn't make carbs anymore.....right? or am I missing something? I thought that was general knowledge...

'76 Westy 2.0L FI "Lucy" Project Thread
'84 Rabbit L Diesel - Potential Greasecar Project

[quote="chazz79"]"Aw honey, I got another one of those bay-bus things on my shoe again...dammit"[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwhippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73superb wrote:
vwhippie wrote:

Solex doesn't make carbs anymore.....right? or am I missing something? I thought that was general knowledge...

i guess not! you never know tho. but , that dosen't help the fact of CB false advertising Shame on you
do you know when they stop making them?
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never ordered from oeveedub before and I was looking for the thickest pans. They had 18 gauge so I called and ordered complete both sides. That was last Friday and they arrived on Tuesday. From Colorado to western Iowa in a total of 2 1/2 business days. Awesome! their shipping was only $36 also. Pans seem to be good quality also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwhippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are they pretty thick? im looking for good tin on the left side.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowa vw wrote:
I had never ordered from oeveedub before and I was looking for the thickest pans. They had 18 gauge so I called and ordered complete both sides. That was last Friday and they arrived on Tuesday. From Colorado to western Iowa in a total of 2 1/2 business days. Awesome! their shipping was only $36 also. Pans seem to be good quality also.

Should have come over to the house. I have T-1 pans laying out back, because I don't have room inside.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent put a thickness gauge on them yet but I set then over top of the old ones to see and by eye ball the look the same as the OGs.

Sorry Russ, I didnt even look through the classifieds for them. I went straight to brand new. I have seen alot of your posts here the last couple of days and will surely keep you in mind for the many future parts for my 66 rebuild I am just starting. Try to keep it all in Iowa!!
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowa vw wrote:
I havent put a thickness gauge on them yet but I set then over top of the old ones to see and by eye ball the look the same as the OGs.

Sorry Russ, I didnt even look through the classifieds for them. I went straight to brand new. I have seen alot of your posts here the last couple of days and will surely keep you in mind for the many future parts for my 66 rebuild I am just starting. Try to keep it all in Iowa!!

I bought out the inventory of Jerry's Bug Shoppe, in Des moines. 50 years accumulation of VW parts. New and used.
Just an example. Carb cores that may be going out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: