Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please Upload Your Photos To The Samba Gallery... Why?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not typically have to resize here either - I increased the size on the site to allow posting from phones.

If people want to post VW stuff here, they can do so, it's different than Facebook and I do not want people posting random non-VW stuff in the Gallery here.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
it's different than Facebook

You mean you don't sell user's personal info and images to marketing companies?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
EverettB wrote:

and don't forget about the Fed...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
Glenn wrote:
EverettB wrote:

and don't forget about the Fed...

I do not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting links to Facebook pictures will work if the poster has made the pictures "Public." The trouble is most people set the picture viewing rights to "Friends" etc so anyone else outside their FB Friends list will see the dreaded red x.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering why I couldn't post pictures. I even purchased my own physical server because I got tired of the crap from "hosting services". I made it so easy too. I just save pics to a folder on my desktop, then I can link them.

Oh well. I'll see how the gallery works. I tried it once and failed, it's got to be the nut behind the keyboard that's the problem.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Upload Your Photos To The Samba Gallery... Why? Reply with quote

Very old thread

My issue with uploading pics to the Samba gallery is still the same as it always has been.
- I upload a pic that I want to use in a discussion.
Then after it is uploaded, I open that pic and select the link to use for posting in a forum.
- Then when I try to post it into the topic, the link will not have "copied" to the clipboard. No link will post in the thread.

For a solution, I find that selecting the link in the box by left clicking on it, then right clicking on it and again left click selecting "Copy" in the right click menu, DOES work and I can then paste that link in my topic post.

While Photobucket can be a real PITA at times, It is nearly always easier than using the Samba Gallery.

Another issue is that I can only upload into a category of photos, rather than being able to upload into my own gallery. Sure, uploading into, say the "Offroad" category, will place the pictures into my gallery when I want to come back to them. But if a user wants info regarding a certain subject about his fiberglass buggy, then he must search through both the KitCar/Fiberglass Buggy forum and the HBBOffroad forum to finds that pic.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Upload Your Photos To The Samba Gallery... Why? Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
My issue with uploading pics to the Samba gallery is still the same as it always has been.
- I upload a pic that I want to use in a discussion.
Then after it is uploaded, I open that pic and select the link to use for posting in a forum.
- Then when I try to post it into the topic, the link will not have "copied" to the clipboard. No link will post in the thread.

For a solution, I find that selecting the link in the box by left clicking on it, then right clicking on it and again left click selecting "Copy" in the right click menu, DOES work and I can then paste that link in my topic post.

Yes, you have always had to "copy" the text here first to have it on your clipboard.

I believe all modern browsers now support a built-in clipboard copy with no trickery so I have added that - clicking on the link now copies it to the clipboard. I tested it in Chrome and Firefox.

If you are using it in the Forums there is no need to copy the text at all, it's easier to use the method detailed here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6
Look for the "Show my recent Gallery photos" when you are posting a Forum message:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dustymojave wrote:
Another issue is that I can only upload into a category of photos, rather than being able to upload into my own gallery. Sure, uploading into, say the "Offroad" category, will place the pictures into my gallery when I want to come back to them. But if a user wants info regarding a certain subject about his fiberglass buggy, then he must search through both the KitCar/Fiberglass Buggy forum and the HBBOffroad forum to finds that pic.

Yes, a person might have to search both those categories if people don't put things in the right section.
Honestly this is true for everything in the Gallery - I almost always search the entire Gallery for keywords rather than one category because there are thousands of pics that people posted wrong.

If it was in a "personal gallery" a user would have to search your gallery only so I'm not sure how that would help. Who is going to search your gallery only? Maybe I don't understand what you are saying there.
They can search by your username if they wanted to, which would be the same as searching your "personal gallery".
I often do that for a couple users that I know have posted tons of good reference items in the past. This includes my username too. Smile
I search on keyword(s) and their (or my) username.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Upload Your Photos To The Samba Gallery... Why? Reply with quote

Quick response there considering how busy this forum is! Thanks.

Quote:
Yes, you have always had to "copy" the text here first to have it on your clipboard.

I believe all modern browsers now support a built-in clipboard copy with no trickery so I have added that - clicking on the link now copies it to the clipboard. I tested it in Chrome and Firefox.

I use Firefox. It does not "copy" the link when I try to link a newly uploaded photo in a post. It acts as if I have not done anything to copy the link unless I do as I described above with using the right click menu.

I'll check out the method you linked to above.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Upload Your Photos To The Samba Gallery... Why? Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Quick response there considering how busy this forum is! Thanks.

Quote:

I use Firefox. It does not "copy" the link when I try to link a newly uploaded photo in a post. It acts as if I have not done anything to copy the link unless I do as I described above with using the right click menu.

I'll check out the method you linked to above.

Great, let me know if you have any questions.

In case I wasn't super clear, I just added the auto-copying when you click the link right before I posted above so unless you just tried it RIGHT NOW, it didn't work before. Smile
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Upload Your Photos To The Samba Gallery... Why? Reply with quote

Thanks for adding the auto-copy function.

I'll check it out soon (next time I try to add a pic in a post).
SoCalBajas Member
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsup wrote:
I was wondering why I couldn't post pictures. I even purchased my own physical server because I got tired of the crap from "hosting services". I made it so easy too. I just save pics to a folder on my desktop, then I can link them.

Oh well. I'll see how the gallery works. I tried it once and failed, it's got to be the nut behind the keyboard that's the problem.
I also have trouble with this. People can explain to me how to do it plenty of times, but I am not computer savvy. The day I finally figured out how to link a photo for a classified ad was HUGE for me. If it were as easy as placing a photo for a classified, I'd have a build page for my '55 ragtop. I have mentioned this to Everett in the past.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: