Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'90 multivan springs
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redcanoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: '90 multivan springs Reply with quote

I'm looking at a completely rebuilt '90 multivan. This model came with 1" lower springs, 14" alloy rims and the side cladding. I'm considering a purchase but contemplating mucking with a nice street oriented van and putting taller springs and at least 15" rims on. Any thoughts or discussion why I should not do this?
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this a fairly conventional switch. No one will argue with you over the 15" rims (other than maybe a total stock purist), and taller springs came standard on the non-carat vans. Seems like a good idea if you want/need the higher profile. Depending on how you use it, I would consider doing the rims/tires first and seeing how you like it. The street height vanagons with 15" rims probably have the best road manners of any possible configuration, while still having enough clearance for most rough dirt roads.
If you find yourself limited by the missing extra inch all the time inch, maybe you should really be saving up for a syncro...(or a maybe a bay window, the poor man's syncro...haha).

I'm interested to hear how it goes.
redcanoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your suggestions, sounds the logical way to go. I wondered if the extra inch or so would look "out of place" with the side cladding.

As for the syncro, I fantasize. Had one in the palm of my hand, so to speak, 2 years ago and chickened out on the purchase after being counselled over the costs of ownership.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: