Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 2s [buses], used in advertising products & services
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Type 2s [buses], used in advertising products & services Reply with quote

Here are a few 1968~79 VW Type 2s, used in advertising products & services, which I have cut out of one of the British national newspapers. What others have you seen?

Daily Mail, Wednesday 27th June 2007, page 26

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This advertisement picture, supposedly based upon a photograph outside No. 10 Downing Street, Westminster, London, England, was intimating that Tony Blair's replacement vehicle, after stepping down as Great Britain's, Labour prime minister, was going to be a yellow & white, 1974~79 VW Type 2 campervan.

Daily Mail, Friday 1st March 2002, page 24

Daily Mail, Wddnesday 27th February 2002, page 38.

For those of you beyond the borders of the United Kingdom or Western Europe, who don't recognise the other base vehicle, it is a circa 1980s vintage, Bedford CF, produced by the British division of General Motors. These were widely available as minibuses, panel vans, pickups, mobile shops (including icecream vans) and ambulances; although I believe the mobile shops and ambulances were special coachbuilt conversions.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72Bay&SB'vert-n-KS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1968~79 VW Type 2s, used in advertising products & s Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

For those of you beyond the borders of the United Kingdom or Western Europe, who don't recognise the other base vehicle, it is a circa 1980s vintage, Bedford CF, produced by the British division of General Motors. These were widely available as minibuses, panel vans, pickups, mobile shops (including icecream vans) and ambulances; although I believe the mobile shops and ambulances were special coachbuilt conversions.

Yeah, we have those Chevy vans here in the US. When I was scrolling through your pics and came across this one I immediately recognized it as a Chevy. We use them for all the same purposes you do in Europe. Even the Ice Cream Men drive them!

Thanks for sharing these!

Oh yeah and the first pic representing the step-down of Tony - Totally hilarious! Laughing
1972 Weekender Bus
2007 GTI

VW's of my past:
1979 Super Beetle Convertible (95-97)
1974 Super Beetle (97)
1967 Beetle (97-99)
2003 New Beetle 1.8 Turbo (03-07)
1969 Beetle Convertible (05-07)
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1968~79 VW Type 2s, used in advertising products & s Reply with quote

72Bay&SB'vert-n-KS wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

Yeah, we have those Chevy vans here in the US. When I was scrolling through your pics and came across this one I immediately recognized it as a Chevy. We use them for all the same purposes you do in Europe. Even the Ice Cream Men drive them!

Thanks for sharing these!

Oh yeah and the first pic representing the step-down of Tony - Totally hilarious! Laughing

Back in the mid-to-late 1980s, I occasionally used to drive a diesel-powered Bedford CF panel van, in association with my work as an R & D scientist cum engineer. It had the heaviest clutch of any vehicle I have ever driven, including a diesel-powered Leyland 440 FG, 2˝ tonner!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1968~79 VW Type 2s, used in advertising products & s Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
cum engineer.

That certainly explains a lot. Twisted Evil
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1968~79 VW Type 2s, used in advertising products & s Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
cum engineer.

In proper British English, "cum" is a conjunction, indicating a combination of things or a combined function (e.g. kitchen cum dining room).

Being a holder of three separate degrees in applied physics, applied energy engineering and mathematics, it wasn't an unreasonable description! Cool

Nigel A. Skeet

djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I was at the Bug-In last Sunday a woman came by and asked if she could take pics of my bus and get some contact info from me. She said she worked for an agency that used old cars for commercials, print ads, etc. With the recent surge of bays popping up in ads everywhere, keep your fingers crossed for me!

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was recently an ad here in the ol' US with an older gentleman with his Baywindow. The ad insinuated that of all the things this rich man owned, the VW Bus was his most prized possession.

Of course, the ad called it a 1969 (I think) Bus and it had the front turn signal lights of a post '72 Bus...

I don't have a copy, but somebody might...
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1968~79 VW Type 2s, used in advertising products & s Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
cum engineer.

vwbusbusvw wrote:
VDubTech wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
cum engineer.

DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! Twisted Evil

Fixed it for you.

Regards,

VW Bus. VW

Some responses, are undeserving of any rebuttal statement, but in the case of this pair, a quotation from the late, great Obi Wan Knobi (aka Sir Alec Guiness) came to mind:

Who is the greater fool; the fool or the fool who follows him!?!

Nigel A. Skeet

vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1968~79 VW Type 2s, used in advertising products & s Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
VDubTech wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
cum engineer.

vwbusbusvw wrote:
VDubTech wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
cum engineer.

DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! Twisted Evil

Fixed it for you.

Regards,

VW Bus. VW

Some responses, are undeserving of any rebuttal statement, but in the case of this pair, a quotation from the late, great Obi Wan Knobi (aka Sir Alec Guiness) came to mind:

Who is the greater fool; the fool or the fool who follows him!?!

My hatred for your long winded, misinformed, asinine, rambling posts is all my own Idea

When I spot another Skeet-hater, I cannot help but give a helping hand.

Regards,

Vw Bus. Vw

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or instead of bitching like a gut-shot hound in response to every of Nigel's posts, you could just do this and be done with it.
vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Or instead of bitching like a gut-shot hound in response to every of Nigel's posts, you could just do this and be done with it.

Rolling Eyes

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back of the Cheerios box.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have since come across several more examples of 1968~79 VW Type 2s being used to advertise or promote a variety of products and services, including up-market breakfast cereals.

Nigel A. Skeet

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
I have since come across several more examples of 1968~79 VW Type 2s being used to advertise or promote a variety of products and services, including up-market breakfast cereals.

They are indeed quite popular now a days.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Dorset Cereals Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

Here are a few pictures from Dorset Cereals:

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Type 2s [buses], used in advertising products & services Reply with quote

Here are a few examples, pertaining to fuel & energy supplies, plus domestic utilities.

Anglia Water

French Antargaz

http://www.antargaz.fr/

http://www.antargaz.fr/particuliers/nos-produits/bouteilles-propanes-butanes.html

http://www.antargaz.fr/particuliers/nos-produits/l...-elfi.html

http://www.antargaz.fr/particuliers/nos-produits/l...-elfi.html

Sainsbury's supermarket petrol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2774042/Ne...etrol.html

Nigel A. Skeet

dillon70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split window, but still cool.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyer for the 52nd annual Hesperus ski swap here in Durango, Co.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Type 2s [buses], used in advertising products & services Reply with quote

found the pics on the net, curious to what engine swap is in the back.
it's a ASI riviera top with pseudo camper interior. anyone know the bus?

http://argo-sports.com/product/lookbook.html

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Type 2s [buses], used in advertising products & services Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: