Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Another thing that was happening about that time was safety rim mandates. If the tire blew and you drove on it, it would only come off on the inner side.

there. one of them is a hump wheel. Look up the meaning of the tire markings

j is for the hump that keeps the tire on, looks like a one humper Smile

H2 is a double humper

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

Thank you guys for verifying that there indeed was a difference in wheels. Is there a chance that I could but that odd ball wheel from you? I want to see if I can get that wheel to work on my future application for my bus. I have a 69 Bay window and plan to use late bay discs on the front with wheel adapters to go from small 5 to wide 5. I could use that single wheel and a pair of adapter and test fit it on my friends bus to see if that would work. If it does work then I would be on the hunt for 4 more of those wheels to make a complete set of 5 wheels for my bus.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
Thank you guys for verifying that there indeed was a difference in wheels. Is there a chance that I could but that odd ball wheel from you? I want to see if I can get that wheel to work on my future application for my bus. I have a 69 Bay window and plan to use late bay discs on the front with wheel adapters to go from small 5 to wide 5. I could use that single wheel and a pair of adapter and test fit it on my friends bus to see if that would work. If it does work then I would be on the hunt for 4 more of those wheels to make a complete set of 5 wheels for my bus.

Won't the standard everyday 14" wide five bus wheel work just fine in your application? Much easier to find those than to find these oddballs.
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
beatles4 wrote:

Won't the standard everyday 14" wide five bus wheel work just fine in your application? Much easier to find those than to find these oddballs.

I have asked around to a few people that tried to do what I am doing, convert the front brakes to late bay discs and the problem ends up being the space between the wheel and the brake caliper not having clearance. I have from at least one source saying that those funky wheels fit fine.

I am about ready to buy the adapters to go from narrow 5 to wide 5 and test fit my generic early bay wheels to a friends late bay to see if it would fit though.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

Wide 5 bus 14,s won't fit on bay discs with adapters. Later bay 5 x 112mm rims are larger diameter inside so they clear. You have to run 15 inch wheels if you want wide 5 pattern.
1962type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

Hello, All:

I have a pair of Lemmerz 3.50Dx16 wheels that don't seem to fit the specifications listed at the beginning of this post -- in that they are 16-inch with no slots, but dated '58(?)

Are they not VW?

Any info would be appreciated!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks,

-Jeff
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

They are probably later dealer replacement wheels.

I have seen that color paint used on other 16" replacement wheels in the past.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1962type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

Thanks, Everett. Assuming you are right, later dealer replacement wheels for which era bus -- barndoor?

-Jeff
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

1962type1 wrote:
Thanks, Everett. Assuming you are right, later dealer replacement wheels for which era bus -- barndoor?

Yes, sorry if that was not clear.

I found this photo in the gallery of ones that look similar (left side)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=437468

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1962type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

Thanks again!

I found the two that I have in my parts stash that I am trying to thin out -- and I simply don't want to misrepresent anything to the next person who gets them. What you suggest makes sense to me.

-Jeff
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

They look to be NOS as no sign of lug nuts' scuff.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

These arnt on a bus, but are bus rims.
15" 68 country buggy rims. Factory black, not date stamps.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

Interesting, but how do you know they aren't regular 15" bus rims? Do you have an original country buggy on which they came? Is there some other identifying mark?

Not trying to disqualify, I am just curious about them for future reference.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Interesting, but how do you know they aren't regular 15" bus rims? Do you have an original country buggy on which they came? Is there some other identifying mark?

Not trying to disqualify, I am just curious about them for future reference.

This is a valid question. And the answer is yes I do have an original country buggy. I have rebuild the original motor for it too in a thread in vintage speed, odd thread I know but it's a one off motor.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636167&highlight=country+buggy
It's ready to fire up but I havnt yet.

Here's the stampings on the rims, this is the cleanest rim I have too and there's no date stamp that I can find.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

D-train wrote:

I am guessing that the 3 68 stamp is the date. What is the production date of your country buggy? My bet is April or May of 68. I will also guess that if you strip those wheels to bare metal, a date stamp will be revealed. I have a few bus wheels where the stamp is barely visible through the original paint even.

Neat to see 15" bus wheels with later date stamps.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

Those are very cool!

Is the offset the same as a bus 15"? I thought the country buggy was based on a type one chassis? Did it have reduction boxes as well?
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
Those are very cool!

Is the offset the same as a bus 15"? I thought the country buggy was based on a type one chassis? Did it have reduction boxes as well?

Just measured them up, there's maybe 2mm difference between them so basically the same. The cb is a bug pan with one off changes on it, a Similar set up as a late kombi rear, large nut RGBS, lsd, one off shock mounts, KDF style clamps on axle tubes, mix of bus brakes front and rear, one off handbrake cables.
Front is a bug beam with one off front spindles, strengthened bump stop mounts, strengthened top arm. Random parts really..
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
D-train wrote:

I am guessing that the 3 68 stamp is the date. What is the production date of your country buggy? My bet is April or May of 68. I will also guess that if you strip those wheels to bare metal, a date stamp will be revealed. I have a few bus wheels where the stamp is barely visible through the original paint even.

Neat to see 15" bus wheels with later date stamps.

Well spotted, I won't lie, I didn't pick up on that. Learn something new everyday! I'm leaving them original paint as much as I'd love to strip to find if there is stamps on the outers.
The centers on the hoops I bare metalled and cleaned up ready for tyres.
No idea on the production date, I havnt chased it up.
Even in Australia country buggy stuff is thin on the ground too, I'm pumped just having these rims
magiceddie88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

I want to add but not take away to this discussion.

I recently aquired a 1960 Kombi, in need of a couple rims to have a complete set I bought what I thought was a specific to Splitty 15" design rim with the 4 slots.

To my surprise once it arrived, it was far from identical, yet very similar perhaps you can verify what I think.

Both are 15" and sit directly on each lip. The wider rim came off of a 1960 Kombi. The thinner rim came from a seller on TheSamba. The design is the same as the Kombi's 4 slotted rim. Once the Rim showed up and I verified it wasn't what I wanted, I sanded down to the identifying spots, it apears that the thinner rim was made in '72. And also has a prefix of KH 72 also the Rim size reads; 4J x 15. Any verification would be greatly appreciated that this is indeed a Type 181 rim. Thanks in advance for any info/insight on this.

Instagram: Magiceddielive
Drive alive
Enthusiast-would be an understatement.
...Air-cooled by SummerFroze by Winter...
www.arcticaircooledvws.com
Wild Bill wrote:
"Life In the FAST LANE". What the Hell does that feel like?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

Interesting wheel. First thing I noticed is that the valve stem does not line up with a lug hole like other bus 15's.

Things wheels are 14", at least for US import models. Not sure about other countries but I can't imagine they would have been narrower than the 14" rims.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 17

Jump to: