Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

very cool. and the price is right too

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
JimVeeW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

Hi All,

Will these wheels work okay on my 71 Early Bay? They are 4J x 15’s, any advice appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

If your 71 has the small five bolt pattern, then the answer is no. At least not without a small 5 to wide 5 adapter.

Are those beetle wheels?
JimVeeW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
If your 71 has the small five bolt pattern, then the answer is no. At least not without a small 5 to wide 5 adapter.

Are those beetle wheels?

Hi cdennisg,
Yeah, I have the wide 5 x 205 hubs and drums fitted. Yes they are Beetle wheels too, looking at JK Kampers they are showing these size wheels as fitting a Bay. Would they need inner tubes if they will fit?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

or the other way around, if you are wide five then yes, and beetle wheels will bring the tires farther out. Not an issue usually

saw the response about tubes. J should be tube wheels. if you look at the rim you want 2 humps to hold the tire bead in place. without that the bead can drop on the inside and you lose air quickly...

just to be clear, the double hump is what makes the difference

Uli

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

JimVeeW wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Are those beetle wheels?

Hi cdennisg,
Yeah, I have the wide 5 x 205 hubs and drums fitted. Yes they are Beetle wheels too, looking at JK Kampers they are showing these size wheels as fitting a Bay. Would they need inner tubes if they will fit?

Stock height or lowered? If low, you will have rubbing issues with beetle offset.

Beetle wheels will technically fit the setup you have. Tubes may be a good idea for the reasons mentioned already. Many have run those rims without tubes with success (myself included).
JimVeeW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
JimVeeW wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Are those beetle wheels?

Hi cdennisg,

Stock height or lowered? If low, you will have rubbing issues with beetle offset.

Beetle wheels will technically fit the setup you have. Tubes may be a good idea for the reasons mentioned already. Many have run those rims without tubes with success (myself included).

Thanks and lowered,

JimVeeW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
or the other way around, if you are wide five then yes, and beetle wheels will bring the tires farther out. Not an issue usually

saw the response about tubes. J should be tube wheels. if you look at the rim you want 2 humps to hold the tire bead in place. without that the bead can drop on the inside and you lose air quickly...

just to be clear, the double hump is what makes the difference

Thanks, will have a look in the morning
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

Without a narrowed beam, those beetle wheels will likely not fit without rubbing unless you use very tiny tires.
JimVeeW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

Trying to see if the 2 humps can be seen in a pic rather go out to the garage lol

JimVeeW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Without a narrowed beam, those beetle wheels will likely not fit without rubbing unless you use very tiny tires.

It has a 4” narrowed beam with 2.1/2 dropped spindles raised a little bit to stop the beam hitting the road as we have some poorly maintained roads lol

Was thinking of 145/65 front and 185/65 rear
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

JimVeeW wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

It has a 4” narrowed beam with 2.1/2 dropped spindles raised a little bit to stop the beam hitting the road as we have some poorly maintained roads lol

You are just going to have to do some trial fitting. Custom stuff is like that. Also, posting this in the bay bus lowering thread would likely get you better answers, as this is the split bus forum and they have a very different front structure than early bays.

Also, here is what the safety bead looks like. I don't think those wheels have them.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

JimVeeW wrote:
Trying to see if the 2 humps can be seen in a pic rather go out to the garage lol

looks like they do not have the 2nd hump. older wheels won't have that. As said before, people run radials without tubes on the older wheels, i never have. but i do like bias plies.

Uli

JimVeeW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
JimVeeW wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

You are just going to have to do some trial fitting. Custom stuff is like that. Also, posting this in the bay bus lowering thread would likely get you better answers, as this is the split bus forum and they have a very different front structure than early bays.

Also, here is what the safety bead looks like. I don't think those wheels have
them.

Thanks, Clicked on a link from a mate and didn’t realise it was the Splitty
forum. Will fit some tyres and have ago at fitting them, if it doesn’t work I will sell them on.
JimVeeW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
JimVeeW wrote:

looks like they do not have the 2nd hump. older wheels won't have that. As said before, people run radials without tubes on the older wheels, i never have. but i do like bias plies.

Looking at the diagram, I agree, tubes it is then, thanks.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

...and PLEASE tell us that you are planning to sand all of the paint in the lug bolt holes off so that you have metal wheel to metal lug bolt contact with no paint in between those two surfaces!!! If you don't you will probably loose a wheel at speed when the paint softens under running conditions and your lug bolts start rapidly unscrewing themselves. Very dangerous. That has happened to quite a few of us, but it only happens once, because if we and the Bus survives the incident, we learn our valuable lesson. Then we pass it on to others. You've been warned!

Enjoy your Bus...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
...and PLEASE tell us that you are planning to sand all of the paint in the lug bolt holes off so that you have metal wheel to metal lug bolt contact with no paint in between those two surfaces!!! If you don't you will probably loose a wheel at speed when the paint softens under running conditions and your lug bolts start rapidly unscrewing themselves. Very dangerous. That has happened to quite a few of us, but it only happens once, because if we and the Bus survives the incident, we learn our valuable lesson. Then we pass it on to others. You've been warned!

Enjoy your Bus...

Bill Bowman

Yes. make one of these from an old lug bolt and a chisel. Then spin it in each hole to quickly remove the paint. I use my cordless drill and a 19mm socket. Takes mere seconds.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
BulliBill wrote:

Enjoy your Bus...

Bill Bowman

Yes. make one of these from an old lug bolt and a chisel. Then spin it in each hole to quickly remove the paint. I use my cordless drill and a 19mm socket. Takes mere seconds.

Now that's brilliant tool-making! Nice tip!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JimVeeW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

Cdennisg and BulliBill,

Thanks guys and yes I will be going metal to metal. That tool is great 👍
pvlocal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16" Reply with quote

If this got answered previously I missed it: project is a '66 Deluxe hardtop. I bought it with 4 different rims, mostly Bug wheels, and ONE correct 1966 rim.

So I just bought five 14" rims dated '68 to '70, all identical, and my resto guy, who is very good, tells me the rim on a '66 is unique to that model year. Elsewhere I have read that after the change from 15" to 14", a Bus rim is a Bus rim is a Bus rim.

So which is it? Do I need to start hunting down date-stamped 1966 rims, or have I got what I need (times FIVE) to do this project correctly?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: