Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What did you do with your Thing today"?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

can you tell how you did it? Looks like a fine idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

harbor freight cutting wheel for air tool
with my bigger mtr. (1679) w/duel 40mm carbs i needed more air in motor
i got all the tins(front and back) and actually sealed any cracks between rubber and metal w/caulk-so the mtr. compartment was almost air tight
so i believe putting this vent above the shroud intake will relieve some of the air vacum because of the small grills on the 73
i really hear the carbs when accelrating-but crusing not much noise
when i remove the top should be quiter
at least "my motor will be happier"
Then i'm happy Cool
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
convertable-beetle-w/bugspray & screamer dist.(019) gone
"Where There's a Will There's a Way"
63 one of a kind beetle. 57 dash,double rear window--sweet!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

I'll haft to call this
"VW MOSES Modification" Yellow 181
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

How much difference the mod make?
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

no gagues or anything so i can't tell yall direct numbers, but it sure is drawing a lot more air in there.that plus the side vents-i got the engine compartment sealed good--so all air going in is fresh.
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Kicked off the 4th of July this morning early. Local VW Club meeting at 7:30 to join neighborhood parade. Over 85 entries/floats/marching bands etc wind through the town center area. Good dozen VW's representing. Bay Double Cab, Camper, Super Beetle, Convertible and 3 Things believe or not. That's not the norm. But Cool

some pics to share

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BVC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

The wife and I took our daughters Thing on a 650 +/- mile round trip from Long Beach to Monterey for a quick weekend drive. After working out the bugs over the last several years it's becoming a very reliable 181.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

BVC wrote:
The wife and I took our daughters Thing on a 650 +/- mile round trip from Long Beach to Monterey for a quick weekend drive. After working out the bugs over the last several years it's becoming a very reliable 181.

Any pictures?
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Placed Top 20 at a local car show!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

"CONGRATS"
Thats a cool THING! Cool
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
Solomon Grundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Got up the guts to drill the 3 holes the body shop forgot to do, and installed my 3D Printed custom KDF emblem. Made sure the OG one fit first. Plus I had to replace my blinker relay and was happy to replace the after market one that came with the car with a proper OEM one I had stashed. Also dropped in a a new Billet Pulley because my Type 4 engine keeps eating stock pulleys every year or so. Probably start eating belts now…

| _______
| |_______| '73 Thing "481"
| _\_\_|_/_/_
| |O||_4_||O|
| [ ]=====[ ]
http://vwthingregistry.com
https://doublecabshaka.wordpress.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Saturday night we headed out to the Nifty Fifties cruise in. It had been months since my son and I snuck out to attend. We had a free pass. I checked the weather. 15% chance, Future radar showed everything well off to the north east and not moving our way. It had rained earlier in the day but cleared.

so bam, we headed out. about a 30 minute drive. We got there with a half dozen rides. We were told they cancelled due to weather. looking at skies, what weather. so we hung out.

well about 30-45 minutes later, skies to the east got crazy dark and lightning flashes every where. we started the pack up.

remember, my ride has no top.

long story short, we hooked faster than normal. My son who is 14 was getting a kick out of it. We were heading directly in to the storm.

It was crazy. The good news, we beat the torrential down pour by about 10 minutes. This is se TX in the summer.

Fun crazy ride home. Had to be there I guess.

Here's a couple pics

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

a little rain is one thing but that could have been a soaker...
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Or ended up in OZ
GB
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Placed in Top 30 at the 1st car show at our local VFW post! Excellent show, even with the 95* temps!!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Congrats Joe

I passed on a local show about 30 mins away today. 60% thunderstorms. of course since I decided not to chance it, it never rained at least not at my place

good to see you got out and scored as well
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

I drove my Thing for the first time in months. Not much, but my post-surgery recovery is enough ahead of schedule I can drive a stick again. In a few months I will be able to tackle the many projects I have inquired about.
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Browsing the Samba planning my next Thing adventures today since I'm missing my Thing... She's been on vacation at the family farm 100 miles away since this summer. That worked out great when a tree destroyed my carport during the hurricane, but I'd love to be out enjoying the weather now that it's bearable.

I can't decide what to try on my mostly stock 1641 to get the running temperatures down. The summer weather causes all kinds of problems for it. I think it might need lower gears to deal with the 205/75R15 tires, but I'm tossed up between doing that or rebuilding the engine as a budget stroker with thick-wall pistons.
AngelDeVille
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Bled the brakes, added a spin on oil filter, changed the oil, added new fender bolts, adjusted the shifter, touched up the camo paint and shook my head thinking of all the things left to do.

Suck it up, Buttercup!
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

couple days late

On Wed right before Thanksgiving, we shut down early at work. I got home and decided it was perfect for a drive with my youngest-my co-pilot. My Thing had other ideas. Hit the key and short drag on the starter. hit the key again, short drag and nothing.

Bottom line, my 2007 battery decided it was time to check out. Off to Sears we headed. picked a new battery. Got home, tossed her in. started tightening the terminals. positive connections great, ground, tightened but connections keep moving. turns out the connector on the ground cable broke not allowing the connection to get tight on the battery post. another set back.

swapped the battery ground cable the next morning before Thanksgiving travels.

back together again. not bad though....9 years on the battery..of course she is a weekend cruiser
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Page 79 of 88

Jump to: