Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What did you do with your Thing today"?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Died on the the way to my daughters trunk or tread at her day care. 7 miles into an 8 mile drive. Thought it ran out of gas because my sending unit is flaky but I guess that wasn't it. Turns over just fine but no spark, not excited to hear from the shop that is looking at it for me. It has been running so well this year Sad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Technut27 wrote:
Died on the the way to my daughters trunk or tread at her day care. 7 miles into an 8 mile drive. Thought it ran out of gas because my sending unit is flaky but I guess that wasn't it. Turns over just fine but no spark, not excited to hear from the shop that is looking at it for me. It has been running so well this year Sad

That sucks.
Probably the points.
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

+1 to the points suggestion! Got it back today, new points, condenser, some misc tubing\wires that had gotten brittle, a carb cleaning, basically it's first professional tune up in probably 20 years. Starts idles and runs better than ever and didn't break the bank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Solomon Grundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Got some pumpkins in Half Moon Bay. Wink

| _______
| |_______| '73 Thing "481"
| _\_\_|_/_/_
| |O||_4_||O|
| [ ]=====[ ]
http://vwthingregistry.com
https://doublecabshaka.wordpress.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Geothing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Finally tied the battery down! Reply with quote

With the proper battery clamp and battery pad (from Mike at Thing Parts), finally tied the battery down - been meaning to do that for months! Not a great idea to hold the battery in place by using the battery cables! Shocked

Geothing
Dan Scully
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Switched out the steering wheel .

perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

got new tires (continental vancontact 4seasons)

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

14 degrees Fahrenheit, started right up and drove around doing some errands. Didn't end so well, though. Driver's door was persnickety about opening and had to get out on passenger side. After fetching a couple of boxes out the back seat, driver's side rear door was even more persnickety about closing. Didn't take a look but I'm guessing the cold played a factor. Sure was fun driving but I need to look at it before pulling it out of storage again.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Dan Scully wrote:
Switched out the steering wheel .

Nice wheel there Dan!

Just curious, did it change the amount of leg room between you and the seat and the bottom of the wheel? [ie; give you more, less or no change?]

Like it!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Changed the Oil and took it for a test run Sunday, was the nicest weather we've had in a long while.

T
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Trying to figure out why my left side doors don't close ... Think
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

oasis wrote:

Most likely the locking mechanism on the door is all gummed up. Go ahead and remove it. Then clean and relubricate. If I'm in a hurry, I just hit it with some WD40 and exercise it a bit. Best thing to do would be to run it through a parts cleaner as a unit then lubricate with a dry lubricate. WD40 and oil just seem to attract more dirt and gum things up again. It's happen to each one of my door latches at one time or another.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
oasis wrote:

Most likely the locking mechanism on the door is all gummed up. Go ahead and remove it. Then clean and relubricate. If I'm in a hurry, I just hit it with some WD40 and exercise it a bit. Best thing to do would be to run it through a parts cleaner as a unit then lubricate with a dry lubricate. WD40 and oil just seem to attract more dirt and gum things up again. It's happen to each one of my door latches at one time or another.

Thanks. I'll give it a go when there is a stretch of better weather coinciding with my schedule.

It was weird when it happened. No warning. At first, I couldn't get out until I crawled through the passenger side. Once out, I got the driver's door open but I struggled with it. In the process, I opened the driver's side rear door. It wouldn't close at first. I finally got the rear door closed (without the window in), and I drove Thing back to storage (I had it at my house while I was minus Beetle) by holding the door as closed as I could -- not easy to do when steering and shifting in sub-20 degree weather. Hopefully, I will get a break soon to revisit it.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Took mine out for a short drive, was a bit chilly, got to exercise the heater too.

T
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Over the last few days in my spare time between surprise visitors and my 19 month old I managed to get the passenger side rear brakes rebuilt. I cleaned up the backer plate and painted it along the way. Next weekend the driver side.

So what did I learn?

1. Thor torqued the hub nut on or it has been on there 30 years, I had to cut it off... and broke my last cutting wheel for my Dremel half way through, bought a pack and expect the same out of the drivers side.
2. The torque multiplier tool for the drum is simply awesome when it came to re-assembly... After I bought new lug bolts that were longer and waited for them to be delivered, mine were too short.
3. My starting gremlins that were fine when it was parked in the fall after a tune up are back but at the moment I blame a shot battery, plus maybe some stale gas I was late to treating it, going to drain it/new filters/fresh gas next weekend. Fail on my part ignoring my reminder to start it up once in a while too.
4. And after I replaced the spedo cable the radio won't turn on, it sure seemed like a good idea to feed that new cable through the dash behind it in order not to kink it at the time.
5. Watched a bunch of video's about re-indexing the torsion bars to raise the passenger side up some but not entirely sure I want to do that myself.

All in all it was a fantastically fun weekend considering just one wheel is done (I rebuilt the fronts in the fall) and when I repeatedly realized I was missing something that cost me a ton of time Smile
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Technut27 wrote:
5. Watched a bunch of video's about re-indexing the torsion bars to raise the passenger side up some but not entirely sure I want to do that myself.

Hey Technut, I just reindexed the torsion bars over the winter. I too was a little worried but what the heck, no broken bones. Replaced all the bushings while I was in there and may have the stinkbug stance now but I can always take it apart again and lower it if it doesn't settle. I'm around the area, PM me if you have questions, need advice or maybe some help.
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Got my Thing out for the first time this year after a long winters worth of work. Was a little chilly but the gas heater worked great. Rear bushings, rear seals, and reindexed, replaced fuel lines and added and original air cleaner. Ran pretty good first time out, quieter with less engine noise and squeaks than last year. The rear end settled out nice after a drive. Even had my picture taken while fueling up.
Now if we can just get some consistently warmer weather...
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Well not today but last weekend.

We got her out for a cruise in with the Nifty Fifty car club. Bonus round, they used to gather about 30-40 mins away. They moved locations to within our neighborhood. 5-10 drive.

Fun night out with my oldest (not pictured) and my youngest who is now 16 and just got his license. Yes, he is challenging dad for the tallest in the family.

pic at the show and one afterwards when we stopped for a bite to eat. Thinger is rest comfortable in the night air outside the burger joint.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

This Saturday, I entered a local car show and won "Best Import" with the THING!
There was only one other VW there, I think they won Peoples Choice, 65 Convertible Beetle.
There were a few other imports there but the VDubs won the day!

T
nikita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Getting the Thing on the road again for summer. Tri-mil exhaust is gone for a stock muffler. It was way too loud. Because of a custom rear bumper, the tailpipes are custom, made from galvanized EMT electrical conduit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Page 82 of 88

Jump to: