Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What did you do with your Thing today"?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Just did valves

Link

Randy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Today I am thinking of getting one of Innovative Motorsports LM-2 tuning devices. My engine is a 2110 with dual weber 44 IDF carbs.
I think I have them significantly screwed up to justify the purchase.
Any tips or advice on this potential purchase?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mountain man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Moved to Tennessee, installed a new soft top, and installed light switches and gauges. Actually did all that over the last eight months.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

This is as good a place as any so I will ask my question.

What is the approximate cost of a complete restoration for a 1974 VW Thing?
This is to include new floors (Thing Shop original Mexico).
Repair all dents and scrapes 1 bad crash in rt rear corner.
I am plan on using a fairly local company (I am in Albuquerque, NM) located 35 miles from Albuquerque, NM in Los Lunas, NM.
Complete paint job inside and out.
The name of the company is Color Works.

The jobs completed by them is pretty fantastic.

Randall Rountree
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Installed new ball joint boots . Bought a ball joint press from Harbor Freight as I did not have one anymore. Cost $14.95. Took just under 2 hours and came out perfect. I found them broken after we got back from Yellowstone last year and just got around it today. Joints are still very tight so no need to replace. We are off to Utah in 2 weeks to see the Mighty 5 parks and did not want to get all that sand in them. Got the Boots from Mike at thingparts.com very nice looking boots.
GB
landkholdings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Performed the annual cleaning and declared it the daily driver until it starts raining again.

2165cc

kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

New shoes!
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

New shoes!
Jeremy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Finally got the top back on.

63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Well I have been little down on my Thing lately.

The last few drives, she has not wanted to idle when first start. I have had to lean on throttle to keep her from dying. Then once she warms up, idle has a tendency to climb high.

This on top of family changes etc had me down. I hate fine tuning with the dual carbs mainly bcs I dont know what I am doing and where to start. So I broke down and hauled her to local european repair shop. Sharp older gentleman that owns the shop and is a world of knowledge and expertise. Time for the calvary. Dropped her off mid week. Should get her back next week.

My youngest (16yr old son) followed me in his Jeep. Yep, I am proud of him. It's a 6 spd manual. One of the rare kids these days that can drive standard. I have started letting him get some drive time in the Thing. couple outings and he has a great grasp. Yep, 2006 Jeep does drive like a cadillac compared to 74 VW.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

New shoes for my Thing. Toyo Open Country P215/75R15's all around.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

fixed the lack of a conection on my wiper motor with a spade of a generator and a fine thread bolt
I Can Stop it and it stops where i turn them off
but wont Return if i stop anywhere else

replaced turn bulbs and relay but still tracing wires

swapped out wheels for some 15" jackmans

hooked up some hose for the heater

looked up PC for the windows

filled some windshield frame bits with foam

replaced all the fuel line and filter

put back in the Float part of the sender..still wonky at times

TRYING TO CLEAN THE GOD DAMN WINDOWS!

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Made some defrost ducts.

av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Turbo charged it.

63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Well, what did I do today, maybe a few days involved. Last check in, I had downsized tires. With that, I decided to pull the 2" raised spindles and 2" raised swing plates. yep, after several years of riding high, decided to come back down. at least a little. still keeping body lift and new fresh tires (215's) so need clearance. adjusters keep front where I want it and little pre-load in rear.

took a few days off and on. Had to do the back twice to get ride where I wanted. first try was definitely too much preload for me. not on stops but like 1/8" off stops. fun of doing it twice. positive note, you get good and its easier second go round. did not take as long.

also decided to replace the HID yellow glow headlights with LED plug and play conversion. yes, not original but I have "white bright" light now. And it was plug and play, super easy.disconnect headlights and reconnect LED kit wiring.

some pics

63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

finally got a chance to get her in the shop for a 4 wheel alignment. had slight delay with all rainy weather and other priorities. then my oil temp sensor decided to start leaking pretty good. got that fixed, couple test runs, then off to shop for alignment.

fun times when shop told me they did front end but could not align rear as was solid axle. I kinda of went huh? I proceeded to inform the shop and the alignment tech that there were slots in the swing plates. yep, took them a couple rounds on the alignment rack. kind of sad bcs it was the same shop that aligned it several years ago. guess they are used to modern rides. end result, got her within specs/close enough for a 44 yr old fair weather weekend cruiser.

so appears we are back and road worthy for a while. time to enjoy the new shocks, tires and renewed pep in her step not pushing the heavier LT mud tires. back to fun peppy cruising.

raced my son home in his 06 Jeep LJ from the alignment shop. yea not a good influence for 16 yr old kid but was fun side beside on our main parkway. not crazy race, just fun stuff
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Fetched The Thing from my storage unit where it has been hibernating since Dec. Cleaned it up real good and ran a shop vac in the inside and got it ready for the shop visit on Thursday where it will be getting the mechanicals gone over. Had to reverse the rear seat backs. They were wrong and would not lock. Perfect now

1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kansasthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

Got stuck in the sand at Lake Powell, drove around Monument Valley.

Flush_Gordon337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

New old exhaust. Did not like the round pipe the PO had welded on.

palemoon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "What did you do with your Thing today"? Reply with quote

i have rear things for 1978 bus to sale, where can i find marlet in LA, CA to sale them soon ?

ppppp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Page 83 of 88

Jump to: