Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I throw a type 1 transmission in?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just_Shep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:25 pm    Post subject: Should I throw a type 1 transmission in? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I was given a 73 super beetle trans and was wondering what you all think about throwing it in my 74 thing? I am familiar with having to make sure the correct nose cone is used, and swapping over the stub axles.

I am just not very familiar with how gearing numbers work and how big of a difference will be made? For you all who have done the swap, did you notice a difference in cruising speed or drivability?

info: 1974 thing, 1835cc, almost entirely street cruising with some freeway miles to and from the beach.
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Should I throw a type 1 transmission in? Reply with quote

Use this gear calculator to see the differences.
https://weddleindustries.com/gear-calculator

Do you know for a fact that your Thing trans is 100% stock as far as the gear ratios are concerned? You can confirm the R&P by counting the teeth. Drain the oil and count the teeth looking up through the drain hole. ( if I remember correctly, you will count 31,33 or 35. 3.88/4.12/4.37) If you have a tach, take a drive and write down speed (use a GPS speedometer app. on your phone) and RPMs at various speeds (use 3rd and 4th gear, as few would have changed 1st and 2nd) Plug that info into the gear calculator to verify your ratios. Now compare with the SB trans look up what those ratios are supposed to be. You can find stock ratios listed in the Bentley manual. Or some Google searching. But after 50 + years someone may have changed something in either of the transmissions that you have and the VW case code may not mean anything. Do a search on the case codes that you have.

Tire diameter is a big difference maker. Also, keep in mind that 2000 rpm @ 60 mph might sound good but it will kill your ACVW. But you might know that already.

Stub axles are at the wheels, output flanges are at the trans.

Olli
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: