Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Well darn.... oil screen stud
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Well darn.... oil screen stud Reply with quote

Well one of the oil screen studs snapped when I was putting the nut back on. Was even trying to be overly careful to get the torque right. I’m sure it was prob over torqued in its life and it’s old.
Anyway, as anyone else had one snapped? Is it possible to drill it out and use a bolt or re-stud it?
concpt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Well darn.... oil screen stud Reply with quote

Yes. If you use a 5.5mm drill bit or close you can go back with a M6 tap. If the threads get screwed up, several company's offer a stud with an MS on the case side and a M6 on the cover side. The standard M6 studs are easy to find at almost any Internet site that sells old vw parts. The worst part is drilling it out then cleaning any shavings out of the case. When I have done it in the past I'll put some wheel bearing grease on the drill or tap for the shavings to stick to. Hope this helps. Also remember one of the front studs holds the oil pickup tube inside the case.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Well darn.... oil screen stud Reply with quote

Yes, you can use a step stud.

Looks like these:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

You tap the case for the larger size and loctite the stud into the case. The size for the nut is M6x1.0
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Well darn.... oil screen stud Reply with quote

6x7 (left) 6x8 (right)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Well darn.... oil screen stud Reply with quote

Glenn who sells the 6x7 studs? Never seen those, good to know they exist.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Well darn.... oil screen stud Reply with quote

If you snapped it while tightening it, it might not be too hard to get it to come out with a left handed drill an/or easy out, worth a try at least. Note that one stud is longer and has a nut hidden up in the sump that needs to be loosen before you try to turn the stud out. With a bit of grinding and bending of a 10mm wrench you can reach it to get it off. There was just a thread in the Bay Bus forum on how to install a new stud, though there are easier ways to get a new stud in than the idea given there.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Well darn.... oil screen stud Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good info.
New stud is on the way. The broken stud is at the rear of the car
Ozmello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Well darn.... oil screen stud Reply with quote

Reviving an old post I learn something new every time I come to this forum. I hadn't realized that one of the sump studs secured the pickup tube in place. Can someone enlighten me as to which stud it is?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Well darn.... oil screen stud Reply with quote

Ozmello wrote:
Can someone enlighten me as to which stud it is?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Well darn.... oil screen stud Reply with quote

BelMetric sells M6xM7 step studs.

The advantage is in the thread pitch, 1mm, for both ends; so it's m6-1 x M7-1.

With the butter-soft material of the engine case, it might not be necessary to re-tap the hole, depending on wear (or at least not necessary to tap to full depth for a nice, tight fit.)

Good luck
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ozmello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Well darn.... oil screen stud Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. At my first oil change I had to replace a broken stud with a stepped stud and then as I was putting everything back together had two studs start spinning into the block. Wasn't horsing on them and was using an inch pound torque wrench set to 60. The joys of working with a 50 year old car Sad

Speedo took a dump last night, so I have been reading speedo threads. Always something!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Well darn.... oil screen stud Reply with quote

Take a very skeptical look at your oil drain plate.
The standard steel plates are often distorted from over tightening the 6 nuts.
The gasket surface must be flat, or it cannot seal.
Often a distorted drain plate can be resurrected with some careful hammering, but for me, the solution is one of those "billet aluminum" drain plates. It's the only "goof ball aftermarket billet accessory" I would use, but despite their shitworth quality, they always stay flat and seal perfectly without any need to strong arm the 6 nuts.
I always re-thread the drain hole 1/2" NPT and the plate stays clean and dry.

My 2¢, good luck.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Well darn.... oil screen stud Reply with quote

Install an oil filter, run synthetic oil, install a drain plate with a drain plug in it, and then put inspecting/cleaning the screen on a 50,000 mile maintenance schedule.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: