Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Gotta stop doing crack!
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

love my A-1 exhaust....have never hit anything....... Cool Cool

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

This new one was a pretty penny, so I'm going to make sure it doesn't snag on anything. Just need to figure out how I'm going to get a skidplate mounted up in there. This exhaust is a low hanging mess, but should be excellent in the performance department.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

BRIAN.......question......what make & model is your ignition coil ??

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

CB Magnaspark coil. So, China.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Sooooo this thing runs. And it's a monster.

Brian?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Yea 'bout that
So, new engine is in the car and it is running.

Engine specs are as follows:
Big
Loud
Vroom vroom
(specs are in a notebook somewhere, I'll throw them up later)

It has some dual 40s on it and the jetting is way off on it. So gonna book a day with Airschooled to use his LM1 and get that tuned in. After that I got the CB MagnaSpark which I'll do the fine tuning with.

The CSP exhaust I got is ridiculously nice too. I'm just worried about how low it hangs.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Patty g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Brian, what cross bars do you have on the beetle that are able to support your tepui tent?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Thule 387 Gutter Mounts and Thule LB58

The load bars are flat and the mounting hardware for the tent is also flat. So, nice and secure.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
TiredandWornARTifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

I just read all 16 pages...

more, please! Very Happy
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Sadly not much going on lately but I do have plans for a new motor be slapped in hopefully soon. I had to take the 2110 out as I found a circlip in my last oil change. Also the oversight of the build was the oil pickup

The cosmetically I'm looking for a drivers side vent window that is chrome instead of polished.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

"circlip"
As in piston to wrist pin?

Or as in rocker arm retainer?

I lost oil pressure in the 1835 in my Hi Jumper while suspension testing about 40 years ago. So parked it off the side of the trail and hitched a ride back to camp and trailered it home. Found a rocker arm retainer clip in the oil sump. and another inside the oil pump, wedged between the gears. The drive tang of the pump broken off in the end of the cam. I not only changed to bolt-on rocker shafts, I also changed to a "Der Zueger" oil sump and pickup. Never had any such problem since.

https://www.appletreeauto.com/SUPER-OIL-SUCTION-KI...S4QAvD_BwE

EMPI makes them now. But I just helped a friend put one on his Bug a couple of months ago and his is nearly identical to mine that's nearly 40 years old. EMPI hasn't messed it up yet.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
"circlip"

..."Der Zueger"...

Yup, wrist pin clip. I've had enough of them bounce off my forehead I should call them the right thing Laughing

And definitely will be changing over to one of those as it seems like that's the easy fix. But if I have the engine torn apart then I might look to just replacing the pickup, then welding some plates on it to make a classic windage tray thingy.

Hope you all are staying safe

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
"circlip"

..."Der Zueger"...

Yup, wrist pin clip. I've had enough of them bounce off my forehead I should call them the right thing Laughing

And definitely will be changing over to one of those as it seems like that's the easy fix. But if I have the engine torn apart then I might look to just replacing the pickup, then welding some plates on it to make a classic windage tray thingy.

Hope you all are staying safe

I'd definitely recommend welding to the pickup to create a windage tray. I have the HVX mods on my 1835 class 11 looker without a deep sump. My oil pressure light would go off around corners and even hard acceleration. My fix for now is a custom 1/2" extended sump plate and a 3/4" extended pickup tube and so far I haven't had the oil light go off yet, but I really wish I had just made the windage tray when I put the motor together.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Not sure where I saw it in the last few days, maybe SoCal Bajas FB? But someone posted up pics of his windage baffles that are vertical sheet steel panels welded to the oil pickup Lengthwise along the case seam. Far from the 1st time I've seen that done, but was hoping I could share the picture with you guys.

The vertical baffles he did combined with an off-the shelf (OMG Shocked ) EMPI windage tray would probably be much better still. Baffle for horizontal slosh and horizontal windage tray for vertical slosh.

I was out testing the re-indexed rear torsions in my Baja the other day and experienced some low oil pressure moments. I have an EMPI windage tray in my engine. I WAS driving it like an offroad race car... Embarassed Rubbed the tires on the rear fender wells a few times, but it's working way better than the previous sagged out situation. Now it could use a little more shock.

Back in the 1970s, it was popular for offroad desert racers to connect the oil pressure idiot light switch to the horn as well as a large dash light, so you would see a buggy go across the desert with the horn occasionally beeping... you have to hear it and see it together to really understand it. Especially interesting at night, when the car is a long way away from another car. With the long range pencil beam lights flashing up and down lighting up the dust in the air, occasionally going dark for a moment when the car noses in, occasionally making a momentary streak across the night sky when the car noses up high. The sound of the engine undulating unevenly with the rough terrain...ruhh ruhh ruhh..ruhh ruhh Beeeep! ... ruhh ruhh ruhhh...a tiny pause after the beep for the oil pressure to come back up before he gets on the throttle again. If you hear that followed by a loud KRUMP! and the lights are out for a second, then back on pointing back through the dust cloud the way they came, to another sustained beeeeeeeep, lights arcing over the top to point forward again, then going dark again as you hear another KRUMP, followed by a couple of thump - thumps and the lights wind up pointing goofy directions and the horn going full time... Then you know it's time to run to where they're at to put them back on their wheels because they just double endoed!!!!!

Been there a time or 12 Cool
SoCalBajas Member
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Dusty, oh man I can only imagine that scenario! It's all fun and games off road, until stuff starts breaking and going "interstingly". I've a had few times driving out in the middle of, what feels like, nowhere and having some "funny" stuff going on. I've had the main terminal on the voltage regulator go loose so my radio was cutting out; it was a cool day in the desert but I was sweating bullets fearing I was going to be stuck in the dessert for days. I'm sure we've all had some fun panic moments Very Happy

This is the one I was thinking about:

And I drive on the streets like this as well, so should be warranted

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Once had the fuel pump that started randomly cutting out on me, only for it to work fine 20min later. Found out a mouse and chewed the insulation off the wires and it was shorting. Having any car randomly conk out in the middle of nowhere, particularly at night, is always nerve racking!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

I still build engines using windage trays, both vertical and flat plate style. I dont use slip in trays because over time they wear into the case and leave grooves so that case material is going somewhere, so I just use bolt in plus braze a vertical plate in. I use the same "super sucker" pickup Dusty uses and have ever since they were first made. I don't really have problems with loss of psi.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
warranted

Yeah I don't see any problems here.
Robbie

Set THAT as your desktop background!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Are you a cop? Cause I'm seeing donuts! Cool
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: