Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Yea, I'll see if the dude I'm talking to will work with me on that. Measure twice, cut once

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

How many times in working as a fabricator or as a carpenter have I heard a coworker say "Measure twice, cut once" then heard..."But it's STILL too damned short!!!"
Cool

I've done it myself a time or 2 Embarassed .
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Well, made the decision today that I'm going to unbaja this car. Already got my stock tires on.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jk. I put some stock tires on and rode around the neighborhood to see if I should change my gearing. The motor feels pretty gutless right now and I was hoping to find some answers. It felt better with small tires but still a little sluggish. I'm going to get a LM1 so I can fine tune the motor, and if that comes to a wall I'm going to jump from a 4.12 R&P to 4.375. In that, I'll probably end up getting a new transmission.

I'll probably shoot for a dual side cover, 4.375, LSD, and get those 930 flanges on there.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

a shame to "undo" all the work to make this car "offroadable"......a shame indeed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Bill I'm joking Very Happy I'd quit Volkswagens before I undid this car.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

THANK YOU.....JESUS !!

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

love this bug!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Me too Wink

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

B&R Buggies had a closing sale today, sad to hear. But I scored a right rear Type 3 trailing arm for $30. Rusty as hell, but I'm going to use the arm to practice welding a box kit and then clean up the T3 brake hub and parts.

Time to stock up on the right brake parts now Cool
If I remember correctly, for using T3 brakes I need the following as they're the only parts different from T1:
Hub - 311501581
Drums - 311501615F
Shoes - 311609537E
Hoses - 211611775C

Are parking brake cables different? Should be the same because I'm not changing the position of the handle.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

There are some differences between T1 and T3 parking brake cables. However, that's mostly due to pan differences. and where the cable housing come out into the open under the car.

As far as attaching a T1 brake cable in a Bug to a T3 brake, it should work no problem. How the cable housing mounts to the backing plate is similar. How the cable attaches to the actuating arm is the same.

The wheel cylinder is different. The back plate spacing is similar to Super Beetle wheel cylinder, but mounting to the plate is the same as T1.

The springs are ALL different than T1. The bottom shoe springs, instead of one long spring across from one shoe to the other, it has 2 short springs that attach to a triangular opening in the reinforcing plate above the adjuster anchor. The upper cross spring is similar to T1, but is bigger. The nails are longer than most T1 as well. So buy a spring kit for a T3. IIRC, the T3 rear brakes are all the same, re shoes and springs and wheel cylinders, but the drums are either 5 lug early or 4 lug late. Use normal IRS T1 bearing caps, seals, and gasket.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

No real updates on this thread. Getting things cleaned and lubed, but nothing major.

Yet.

I'm aiming to get the suspension redone over the next few months. Starting out with shocks. I bought some bilstein 7100s and waiting for them to be delievered. I'd like some opinions on valving.

Rears I bought some B46-0359R which are 180/75
Fronts I got the B46-1085R which are 220/115

I'm afraid the rears are going to be too soft, thoughts?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

For a baja, eshocks recommends 360/80. I would think you are heavier than a baja?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

360/80 all around?

Stock '71 is about 1800 lbs + a roll cage + me is probably around 2000 lbs. I'm doing 1/4" cut and turn up front and my spring plates are slapping the lower stops at the moment.

Anyone have some scales so I can see my weight bias Very Happy

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

i'm using the Bilstein 5165 reservoir shock valved 360/80
My car is probably about same weight as yours and these shocks work well. Not to stiff.

THe 180/ might be kind of soft

B46-0493VW Bilstein 6100 265/70 on the front. my car rides great ..when its not busted
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
my car rides great ..when its not busted

Sad

I'm fine with a stiff ride, my back isn't too bad yet. For a bug is it good to have the valving the same on all fours? The back carries a bit more weight than the back.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Oop's. I meant on the rear.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

I think I'm going to try out 275/78 in the front and 360/80 rears. Anyone have some nitrogen I can use? Very Happy

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
eytch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Brian,
I have some shocks you might be interested in.
My son and I are working on his daily driver 73 THING and we decided to go with the 7100 class 11 reservoir shocks from eshock. I was sure they would work for us but because we have our stock trailing arms lengthened by 1.5" and some other issues they ended up being a little short in the rear. The rears have not been installed and are brand new. I had to special order them and waited two months to get them. I have the matching fronts as well that are great on the front of the THING that we have adjusters on. The fronts have about 100 miles on them and look brand new.

Part numbers are
B46-1885R for the front
B46-0930R for the rear

http://eshocks.com/bil_ORvh.asp?Series_Index=Q3&Length_Index=6Q6&Manf=All&SubChar=Q

I have $800 in these shocks that are brand new. If you are interested in them let me know and I will make you a deal on them.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

No real updates for me. The shocks ended up being perfect for me, soft on the street but solid where it counts.

I'm starting to dabble a bit more on my steering because I have a shit ton of freeplay at the wheel and while I'm driving. It's odd because on the ground, slight movements of the wheel translate to the tie rods no problem, but when I'm turning it has a lot of room to just kinda wander.

The top adjuster is the one that handles that free play right?

I ordered a new steering wheel because no one on planet earth has the horn button for formuling wheels.

Anyways, here's pictures from my most recent trip. Drones are awesome btw

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Very cool, Brian!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 18

Jump to: