Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Yesterday was a long day, and there was a shortage of beer. T3 brakes are in and adjusted. Amazing how easy it is to fit stock VW parts compared to crappy aftermarket parts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

What that last post did contain: my legs.

What that last post didn't contain:

"Brian, how the hell do you do Type 1/3 brakes? I've only done buses. Actually, I haven't even; my bus adjusters were rusted, so I left them, and adjusted them with a hammer and chisel in Xevin's driveway. You cool with that?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Well good news, finished a mini road trip up to Oregon to watch the eclipse. Was about 2,200 miles round trip, did it in about 3 days. It sure is having a nice load offroad car on the freeway Very Happy

Steering has gotten much better, I ended up getting pissed off at my box and turned that adjusted screw waaaaaaaaaaaay in. Turns out TRW does NOT adjust the boxes at the factory. They have an extra long adjusting screw and you have to crank them way the hell down. Did that and a tow adjustment, steering is better but not perfect.

Eclipse was cool.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

My wife and I went to camp in the Sierras (Kennedy Meadows at the Pacific Crest Trail and the South Fork of the Kern River) to celebrate our 35th anniversary. Of course, Mother Nature very nicely provided the eclipse to celebrate the day.

A couple of young pretty ladies camped near us and brought some of those glasses like you and your lady are shown using above and they shared them with us. I, in turn, shared how to use a paper plate to achieve much the same eclipse viewing by poking a hole in the plate and the shadow shows the crescent of the eclipse. Multiple holes in the plate makes a group of crescents, like the multiple moons you see in fantasy art. One can even make your hand into an "OK" sign and the crescent of the eclipse will show in the shadow of the "O".
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

well i had to throw in here i was out road trippin in my bug too this last week. a trip from the south end of the eastern sierras to the North end .I was at kennedy meadows in Kern last week and was at the other kennedy meadows on the sonora pass the day of the eclipse.

My recent upgrade to type 3 brakes made a great improvement and more importantly i made some special brake bleeding valves where i cut off the back side, so they were fully open while tighten down, and pumped all the air out with a hose and a bottle set up. This eliminated the problem of air being sucked in through the threads when you loosen the bleeder valves. I finally got all the air out of my steering brake.

My steering wanders because i have a bad negative camber on one front wheel. i think it has a bent part. i think the arm. And to make matters worse the alignment shop i had it at put air in my tires up to 32lbs. Which i drove the whole week on. I usually have them at 24 in the front an 28 in the rear which works much better. I think my week run was about 2000 miles. Bug ran great but at 9000' it ran a little weak. I had one car problem. one of my heater hoses blew of , got caught up on the fan belt and ripped it all to shreds. Luckily even with unloading the car to get to the spare parts i change out to a new belt i had (i believe i put this fan belt in my emergency kit about 30 years ago but it was still in wonderful shape. Back on the road in 30 minutes.

I have a good video i will upload.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

So you snuck out of Kennedy Meadows before the wife and I arrived huh? Punk! Laughing

We arrived Sunday evening via 9 Mile Canyon. Stayed 'til Wednesday. Beautiful weather. 40s in the AM, near 80 in the afternoon.

The eclipse was fun. Patchy clouds didn't really interfere.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

To anyone still following, car is still good and eye candy below. Right now I'm battling some oil leaking. Basically my crank pressure is too high so oil is being shot out through just about every seal. I think I'm going to do some re-works on the powerhouse to get some better power and fuel economy.

Suspension is still 100% and the shocks have been treating me well. I don't think I will be re-valving them any time soon. Still having a little bit of float in steering with the TRW steering box, I think it's just a bad box at this point.

Berdoo Canyon in Joshua Tree is just as stressful going down the hill as it is going up. But I learned that there is not much that can stop this car. Pretty much the limiting factor is me driving the car.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

sweeeeet Cool

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
MI-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. Keep it up! I've enjoyed following this thread for a long while now. Looks like you swapped out front tires recently?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Yea, a while back I got some General Grabber AT2 up front. They're the same size as the BFGs, and will eventually be moving to the back. But I don't want to rub on the rear shocks.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
jthoren14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

How do you like that tent? It appears to be fairly well made, and looks too be a good design.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

I really like the tent. I was going back and forth between a few brands, but got lucky with the price on this one. I have nothing bad to say about it's build. Only downside is that the bedding that it comes with is not going to compare to your mattress at home. They brand I got sells an upgraded mattress and I might be getting that for myself soon. I usually just take a shit ton of blankets to make for some soft bedding.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Merry New Years, y'all
Got some quality time in the desert. Broke my exhaust for the third time, and I have a massive oil leak from the case somewhere. Also a new engine on the way.

Post donuts

Glamour shots while drifting

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
PopPop Jambon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ-BUG wrote:

I see you had to put it in reverse to pull that Jeep up the hill. Good Man!!
Sort of a Baja
(PO removed the deck lid, cut out the rear skirt and added rear fiberglass fenders, that's about it)
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Merry New Years, y'all

Post donuts

Everybody's always telling me to marry someone. I can't marry Miss Chris and I can't marry the new girl. 1st off, she's not mine. 2nd, I've been married for 35 years.

Smile Cool Smile Cool Smile Cool

Then...I didn't know you're a police officer. Out doing donuts, huh?
SoCalBajas Member

Last edited by dustymojave on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Andrews
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Brian, you asked if anyone is following your thread. Well, the answer is YES. I have followed (lurked) this thread since the beginning.

I have a '70 Type 1 of which I am seriously considering the street legal Class 11 mods. It's time to retire the car from the occasional drag race and onto trailblazing.

You mentioned oil spewing from the engine. Perform a leak-down check of every cylinder. Blowby can cause the condition of which you described.

For my engine build, I will use a Revmaster 76mm forged crank with either VW 311B rods or Eagle H Beam 5.400 rods, in a single pressure relief engine case with all the tricks. I have a NOS set of Berg B stroke 88's, or bore the 85.5's to 86 and use a modern piston with modern ring packs. My plan is to use single port heads with minimal portwork. The combustion chambers will be blended and the stock seats replaced for durability. Dual springs, CroMo retainers and heavy wall aluminum pushrods to retain valve lash. Camshaft is something that I'll need to give in depth consideration. Whether to use factory VW 1.1:1 ratio rockers, or early Scat 1.4:1 (actual 1.52) rockers. A Leistritz Sport exhaust is the simplest solution for ground clearance and fitment vs gutting a stock muffler and seam welding. Induction may be a modified 30 PICT or aftermarket version. I could use a MicroSquirt EFI module with crankfired ignition but, I would really dislike being stranded due to electronic gremlins. A tried and true Bosch 205 or 009 with a Red Coil is reliable.

Thing spindles would be the best datum point vs aftermarket cast raised spindles. Though, a plated ball joint spindle with a grafted linkpin spindle would be awesome. However, going that route, may as well switch out the framehorn to linkpin and never worry about broken balljoints.

As you well know, one must focus on the net result.

By the way, you have a bitchin car, and the rooftop tent rocks! Post more drone videos of your adventures.

Chris Andrews - The Mailman
mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Chris Andrews, I'm not finding any info on the exhaust you mentioned,
Leistritz Sport exhaust. Do you any additional information?

Pit Boy 6163 Spec Trophy Truck
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

So, small updates from me. During that New Years celebration, I finally managed to do my engine in for a final doosey, apparently. I went on a few of the Ocotillo Wells 4x4 truckhaven obstacles and smacked my Vintage Speed muffler on a few rocks. Turns out muffler not only broke, but the pipes to the head didn't break and transferred all the shocks to the case. I was driving around up until some time in April until the oil leak got too bad to drive. There's some sort of theme with me driving cars that have a cloud of smoke trailing along.

Anywho, the new motor has been taking forever but is coming along. This time I'll try and make this one last a while, being that I built this one. Here's what I found of cracking so far. Turns out case paint is good for something.

New motor is in, just need to get some more hardware for the dual manifolds Very Happy

I'm probably going to crack my old motor open and rebuild it with some DP heads. Just kinda see what happens.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Wow that's a familiar looking crack!

SoCalBajas Member
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

hmm, must have hit the same rock! Laughing

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: