Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'68 Bug Autostick woes
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tremelune
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: '68 Bug Autostick woes Reply with quote

My friend has a 1968 Beetle with an automatic transmission. There is apparently a rubber diaphragm that is necessary to shift the car, and it keeps getting destroyed. Replacements last weeks. Is there any replacement superior to the ones coming out of Venezuela these days? Is she doing something that might cause excessive wear on this diaphragm?

She looked into having the transmission swapped out for a manual transmission, and a couple shops around Los Angeles quoted her at $10k. Knowing how easy it is to pull the drivetrain in these cars, I'm assuming those are "go away" prices. Is it harder than literally swapping out the transmission, installing a three-pedal board and a shift rod...?

I don't know much about these cars, so if there is better terminology I can use to search around, it would be appreciated. The car has sentimental value...She'd love a manual, but would be happy with a reliable auto that can last.
Tremelune
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bug Autostick woes Reply with quote

Bah, whoops...Dunno how I wound up in this forum. Feel free to delete!
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bug Autostick woes Reply with quote

My buddy has a '69 auto stick, and has had the same experience. Keeps buying diaphragms from Aircooled.net, and they only lasted a month or so. Recently my other friend that used to own a vw repair shop found an old new stock one he had laying around, and this one seems to be lasting fine. Seems the quality of the new ones is non existent. Socal auto parts used to sell conversion kits for under 2,000.00. Of course the labor is the deal, particularly as most auto sticks dont have a clutch tube in the tunnel, so it has to be added. 10,000.00 seems totally ridiculous.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Bug Autostick woes Reply with quote

Are you talking about the big actuator that operates the clutch? I have a used stock one here, I could check and see if it is still good if you like. I have no use for it and would send it to you for the cost of shipping. You give us not clue as to your location so I don't know is shipping is an option or not...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: