Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

57 oval
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raynose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: 57 oval Reply with quote

Hi....new to this forum...after completing resto on 72 super I just picked up a 57 oval...brief history....po used a 57 body with a 70th undercarrage and engine.....I have to replace heater channels floor pans etc and was wondering if the body bolts are located in the same location as on the super..i.e. is there two long bolts in the rear seat area? it's covered in black undercoating and i can't see any...another question is how can I tell if its been converted from 6 volts to 12 volts? any help would be appreciated.Is there a pic somewhere showing all the bolts to remove the body?
raynose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: 57 oval Reply with quote

Anyone???? Please I need help??
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's already bolted to the super beetle pan then I'm going to say yes?

Pull out one of the light bulbs and look if it's 12v or 6V? I'm guessing it doesn't have a battery in it? or you could look on the generator and see if it's 12V or 6V

Not being captain obvious here but that's where I'd start.
raynose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: 57 oval Reply with quote

Yustrn..tks for reply....I never though to check on the bulbs....no battery in it but it does have a generator...i'll check the reading on that as well...The body bolts are difficult to find where everything is covered in this black tar like substance.....when i did the 72 super I found a diagram showing every bolt but can't find similar one for a 57 oval.
warrior1641
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body to pan bolts are similar to a super exept for the front area the oval has a H beam and the super has struts so this area is completly differant In the rear under the seat there are 2 bolts on each side that go to the torsion housing and 4 that bolt the cross member to the pan there is also 1 bolt on each side in the rear fenderwell near the shock hope this helps I know the black tar stuff suckes you just have to dig it all out to see what you have
raynose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: location of boby bolts Reply with quote

Great help I'm sure i know now the area you're talking about..I did see the 3 upfront ones..I know the rear areas to look since you pointed them out.On the super there's a bracket which attaches the firewall to the tunnel,this is attached by 2 long bolts directly into the tunnel and mounts to firewall under the dash.. Does the oval have these as well? I can't see then on mine.other than these 2 i think i'm ready to tackle boby off. Again your help is apreciated. Any other hints for body off on the oval feel free to contact me or post here.Thanks again
warrior1641
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No long bolts in the tunnel There are 2 bolts in the tool shelf that go into the beam in front , all other bolts in the front are underneth the car hope this make sence, the only bolts in the interior are under the back seat
If your doing heater channels make sure you support the door opening before you take the body off you can either buy the jig or weld supports across the opening
raynose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: body removal Reply with quote

What you said does make sense and sure helps....will keep updated on progress..and yes I will have to support doors..on the super I welded a frame from front to back under dash to rear wheelarea inside by back seat and also ran another support from side to side...I will be replacing heater channels ..floor pans..inner whell wells rear...lower door post..napolenan's hat on front crossmember plus maye part if not all of front head section that holds the front beams...the bottom is rusted out.
warrior1641
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion if the frame head is rotted out you might want to locate a more period correct chassis with less rot Having a king pin beam and swing tranny with wide 5 wheels is more in keeping with a oval and you may be better off in the long run going this route
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: