Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ball Joint replacement
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Ball Joint replacement Reply with quote

And here is my next problem. The boots on two of the front ball joints are gone and the ball joints inside look -- dry. I see Wolfgang sells a complete set of rebuilt ball joint assemblies (?) for $160 exchange. The replacement looks pretty straight forward. Can I (age 50, not terribly mechanical) do this in my driveway with simple hand tools and a floor jack?

Thanks so much!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Ball Joint replacement Reply with quote

replacing ball joints is one of the most labour intensvie frustrating jobs going, unless you have all of the right tools... and then it still isn't a breeze. it sounds easy, but it can be a real pain getting the old joints out... and if you don't put the new joints in the right way 'round, you'll booger up your new joints, and possibly your trailing arms. not to discourage you, just want you to know that it isn't as simple as changing a tire. if i was a newbie mechanic, this isn't the first job i would consider undertaking.
In addition to a floor jack, jack stands, and the usual sockets and ratchets, you will also need a pickle fork or ball joint puller to get the old ball joints out, and a fairly hefty hammer to whack the new ones in. if you don't have the tools, price em out, figure on a day's worth of your time to do the job... then find out what a competent shop will charge you to do it, and compare costs. if you know of a gearhead bouddy who might be able to help you out, i'd recommend it.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Ball Joint replacement Reply with quote

After reading your post and discussing with several parts suppliers as well as my regular mechanic, I have decided to go with the unanimous conclusion: leave it to the pros. $375 to replace all 4 and I don't have to further abuse my aging bod. I don't like writing the checks but it gets done and I don't bash any body parts. Thanks Bljones!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Ball Joint replacement Reply with quote

OB, I am all for doing as much of my own maintenance as possible. i build my own engines, do my own bodywork, brake work, elctrical... but, i have taught myself along the way, and purchased, begged or borrowed the tools that i have needed. I am hardcore- i build 'em, rebuild 'em, break 'em, then fix 'em, but i realize not everybody else is like me... and i also realize i am not like i used to be either! With a growing family, my priorities have had to change, so now (egads) i find myself having to balance the pride and satisfaction i get from doing my own work with the fact that the more time i spend wrenching, the less time i get to spend with everyone else. so, i have sort of evolved my thinking- the work i don't like to do, i farm out. Like you i don't like writing checks, but there are times when it pays to work smart, not hard.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: