Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Missing oil pressure warning light wire? (P.O cut it?)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flapjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 7:13 pm    Post subject: Missing oil pressure warning light wire? (P.O cut it?) Reply with quote

Let me start this off by saying: Sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1990 2.1L Multivan.

I have the blue and yellow wires going into the white plastic connector, but only one brown wire going out. It wraps around the drivers side of the engine under two large pipes and then I cannot track it anymore.

I also cannot find where the pressure senders are for the LIFE OF ME. I looked in the bentley, I looked on youtube, I poked around everywhere, I looked through the samba with the search. I. Cannot. Find. Them. Perhaps I am terminally stupid. I am willing to accept that.

Where are they? Anybody have any pictures of where they are? I know there is supposed to be two, one on the drivers side of the engine and one toward the rear.

THE GOOD: I have a manual oil pressure gauge.

TLDR:
I have the blue and yellow wire going into the connector, but one brown wire coming out. I also have no idea where the pressure senders are.

Last edited by flapjack on Yesterday 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Yesterday 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing oil pressure warning light wire? (P.O cut it?) Reply with quote

the low pressure sender is under the 3-4 pushrods.
the dynamic (high) pressure sensor is just to the left of the water pump pulley as you look down on it.

no problem at all to just run a new wire where yours is missing but i think the real question you will find is: why is the alarm not going off? without that wire hooked up (or just grounded) the oil pressure alarm should sound at rpms above 2500.

does the oil pressure light work at all?
flapjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing oil pressure warning light wire? (P.O cut it?) Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
the low pressure sender is under the 3-4 pushrods.
the dynamic (high) pressure sensor is just to the left of the water pump pulley as you look down on it.

no problem at all to just run a new wire where yours is missing but i think the real question you will find is: why is the alarm not going off? without that wire hooked up (or just grounded) the oil pressure alarm should sound at rpms above 2500.

does the oil pressure light work at all?

The oil pressure light used to blink when I had the key in the ignition, and then go out when I started it. Now, it will briefly flash once (or not at all), with key in the ignition. I wanted to check the oil pressure to know where I was at numbers wise but I am thinking I might have a bigger problem wiring-wise.

I'm currently trying to follow the bentley flowchart for checking problems with the light. Gotta find the senders first!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: