Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagons and A/C systems
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've been kicking around getting a Vanagon for me and my son to use as a fishing trip camper. I'm in central FL so A/C is a must for most of the year. Most of the ones I see have the A/C system unhooked or not working for various reasons so my question is does that part break often or are parts for that part of the van hard to get? What is the reason most are unhooked? Thanks.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

More than likely they've had a compressor fail or some other component. These vans originally had R12 refrigerate which is no longer available. Sometimes they can be refilled with a product called RedTek.

For someone to retrofit a van to use R134 would typically require a new compressor, condenser, lines, and drier. That's a hefty bill for someone to put that kind of money into a vehicle they probably use on occasion.

Some of us are embarking on retrofitting these systems ourselves, but the costs just for parts are probably going to be somewhere in the $7-800+ range, not including tools and the learning curve.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

Your best bet (short of finding one that has working AC) is one with a complete system that is non-op for reasons unknown.

Yeah, some sellers will say "it just needs a recharge" but of course that's nonsense.

It is possible to do much of the work yourself with relatively inexpensive tools, even the Harbor Freight version will work.

I still use R12 as it is the most effective and what the original system and hoses were designed for but there are alternatives that may also play nice with original equipment. R134a is easier to get but requires barrier hoses.

As to why... these are/were low buck cars so the $$$ involved in AC work caused many to just give up or worse, rip the system out altogether.
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

And if you had to replace everything a/c related it would almost be easier to put a hole Honda or Toyota hybrid system in. The compressor runs on voltage not the engine so in theory it could all be mounted up front. Use less refrigerant and if shore power is available, maybe run the system with the engine off and an inverter?
The newer EV run a heat pump system so heat and ac. Perfect for the state of Florida !!

Good luck
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

Great info thanks. What about doing the Subaru conversion. Is air on option for those?
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

These are near 3 or 4 decades old, so What I have found to leak is the long rubber hoses for the refrigerant. the rubber simply becomes porous with age. The only fix for that is new hoses (new modern hoses are also better in aging) Mine leaked out nearly 20 years ago, so I live without, (I use the wing window blasting on my face as AC, wear glasses)

Of course other things can go wrong too. But old hoses are an issue many times. If I were to rebuild it, I opt for new hoses. These vans have a lot of hose!

You can still find R12, I have a stash of R12 cans for when I ever refill it, or for my jeep who's AC still works, it is only 34 years old, But I think prior owner had work done on it, and its hoses are much shorter and fatter. My Van is 38, and has original hoses, they are skinny hoses, so less wall thickness.

There are two main versions of the van AC, early and late. early has the cold unit above the front seat backs, and a tunnel for cold air to get to above the windshield, that is what I have, later ones have a cold unit over rear seat with a long tunnel down center line of roof to get cold air to the front.

I believe all AC units were dealer installed, not from factory. Mine was dealer installed, My dad had it installed on purchase of the van.
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

I first went the route of switching to R134a because AC service places in south Fl refused to use r12, because it is illegal. 134a uses higher pressure and smaller mocules. It will leak through the original hoses. My mechanic put in 134a (converted the charge nipple). The cooling wasn’t as good and it slowly leaked out over a 6 month period. He recharged it and while idling in the driveway, one of the hoses by the propane tank exploded. It sounded like a gun shot with oil and refrigerant spraying everywhere. Scared the crap out of me.
After that I took it to a good AC shop in North Miami who had done Vanagons and replaced all the hoses with barrier hoses, new 709 Sanden compressor, new dryer, new modern oversize condenser, new interior blower fan (the old one melted my AC fuse holder). My AC was factory installed.

Well now I have installed a FAS brand new engine which works great. Night and day from by waterboxer engine. I highly recommend it. It comes with a new AC compressor. It cools much better than the old system. Still in the Miami heat if the van sits in the sun it takes a long time for cool air to reach the front. I do need to install Ceramic window tint, next. I also bought window covers which I install when parked in the sun. I am planning to repaint the tan upper part of my van windows out and install jalousie windows for the center windows this summer. If you live in the south I recommend you get a white van with a white pop top. It will be cooler. As you can see this is quite a saga and expense. Probably my next step is small-car dash AC if the ceramic tint isn’t adequate. As you can see, these vans can get expensive. I am also considering dual AC, with and under mounted additional condenser. I have considered just giving up and buying a modern camper, but have you seen the prices, plus you can’t fit them in a garage.
Good luck with your decision.
Brad
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

As others mentioned, the AC system on a Vanagon is now at least 35 years old. Most are inop/disconnected because of the cost of repair(s). Unless previous work has been done, you will need all new hoses, a compressor, a filter/drier and flushing-evacuating-charging of the system (at a minimum). Also the electrical part of the system may need attention. Vanagons of 1985 and before had AC as an aftermarket install. The electrical parts of these can be problematic as there are usually no wiring diagrams and often all the wires are the same color, usually black. Starting with the 1986 models AC was a 'factory' option. The VW system had some significant improvements on the 1987 -91 models. Any of the systems can have trouble with the plastic housings for the evaporator (the inside part where the 'cold' air comes out). The plastic can crack due to age and require repair or replacement (AFAIK new plastic is not available). The cost can be $2,000 or more just in parts to make the AC functional. A quick repair of replacing the compressor, a hose or two, and filling the system with refrigerant can be a lot less. However the AC will probably fail again soon. Look around here on the Samba forums. There are several threads of people that refurbished their AC on 87-91 Vanagons with good results. If you have a shop do the work you will need to find a place that is good with AC work and understands VW Vanagons. That will be a rare combination.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

If you are looking for an A/C system used, you need to look at '87 and up years. The '85 and back had smaller evaporators, the '86s were a mishmash, and the dealer installed systems were a dogs breakfast as well. Mainly, if the A/C controls are to the left of the steering column, with just one integrated fan and thermostat switch, that's the early system. I would say if you don't want to DIY it, it will be cost prohibitive. Think $2-3K plus. It's not particularly difficult, just very time consuming so $$$labor.

If you don't have any A/C now, and need a whole system, you might want to look at something like the SmallCar front A/C. Still a lot of labor you'd need to DIY, and folks in the back will still boil (slowly) but you'll be cool up front, mostly.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

Yes you can run a Vanagon AC with a Subaru engine and compressor. The hoses need to be adapted, but is common. We are in S Fla, diesel vans did not get AC. I installed a Vintage Air aftermarket dash system. It keeps the passengers up front comfortable, but not a meat locker till night or when it rains. It will freeze you out. I have ceramic tint on the door windows and windshield. I resurrected the AC in a 90 camper. DIY it was quite a few hours and some money, but not crazy money. As mentioned just needs a charge is suspect. If that was all it needed, wouldn’t you think the $100 or so would be worth it to add $1500 to the selling price. Anyhow we don’t use our van much in Florida. Only the day leaving and the day returning. We have a $5000 btu window unit that hangs in the drivers window for camping in heat. Does require improved camp sites.
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

" As mentioned just needs a charge is suspect"
Yup. If it "needs charge" where did the "charge" go? Only possibility is a leak or leaks. If the system gets "charged" it will leak out in a few days or weeks.
How often does your home refrigerator/freezer "need a charge"? It works the same way as vehicle AC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
If you are looking for an A/C system used, you need to look at '87 and up years. The '85 and back had smaller evaporators.

the evaporators are the same size. the difference is a TXV or a or the block style expansion valve

the early a/c's are just as good imho when properly sorted. That said don't expect a miracle because both are more like a window unit in your house...not cold anywhere, just comfortable overall in the van

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

I’ll agree that leaks & hoses are typical problems.

PO of my van spent over $2000 having shops “fix” the AC over two different summers, finally
gave up having only got a month or so of cooling each time. Sold to me two years later.

Me? DIY, removed & cleaned everything, new hoses & compressor & recharged with RedTek.

Result: Going on 9 years still running cold on that first charge. Cost: $1000, including tools.

FYI: Here’s my daughter on the 95-degree August day we moved her to college dorm:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh yeah…AC on, middle fan speed & we were perfectly comfortable up front. Do the work!

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
khughes wrote:
If you are looking for an A/C system used, you need to look at '87 and up years. The '85 and back had smaller evaporators.

the evaporators are the same size. the difference is a TXV or a or the block style expansion valve

the early a/c's are just as good imho when properly sorted. That said don't expect a miracle because both are more like a window unit in your house...not cold anywhere, just comfortable overall in the van

We had a thread on this a while back. The evaps are NOT all the same size. I had a dealer unit, swapped in a late model unit, and it was at least 50% larger (thicker, greater number of tubes). I had them sitting side by side, there's no mistake.
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

Good to hear the work can be done myself. I've rebuilt all my bugs and prefer to do what I can.

So it seems an '87+ would be my best bet, preferably one updated to the new refrigerant but I need to pay attention to the work done when changed over, hoses replaced, etc. Otherwise plan to replace all that myself.

So here is my second A/C related question. This will be a camper so overnight A/C will also be needed. I've looked at the electric A/C systems for about $1000 as an option. Possibly running it off a house battery system if possible. Does anyone have a setup like this or another option?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

SLO-N-LO-69 wrote:
Good to hear the work can be done myself. I've rebuilt all my bugs and prefer to do what I can.

So it seems an '87+ would be my best bet, preferably one updated to the new refrigerant but I need to pay attention to the work done when changed over, hoses replaced, etc. Otherwise plan to replace all that myself.

So here is my second A/C related question. This will be a camper so overnight A/C will also be needed. I've looked at the electric A/C systems for about $1000 as an option. Possibly running it off a house battery system if possible. Does anyone have a setup like this or another option?

Follow this link and scroll down to Air Conditioner, section (87)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798

I've had the earlier pre 87 A/C and have a 1990 A/C now.
Once I rebuilt them, they work equally well.
The key is...... rebuild them.
Not fix them.

There is a thread on electric A/C ..... I'll try to locate it.
The trouble is with the power required to operate them.
Just too much battery is needed.

There is also a thread on shore power A/C solutions.
Shore power units are usually big and bulky.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

SLO-N-LO-69 wrote:
...So it seems an '87+ would be my best bet...

X2 on Dave's comment re early vans. The AC in my 84 works fine. I did replace the original radiator fan with the later style (more power and an additional speed as I recall) and I have a little in-cabin helper fan behind the driver to move air to the front.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

Here's a thread on a Dometic electric A/C. $5K
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=784148

Another earlier version from fb
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Older window units
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8796444

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

For camping with power, this was inexpensive and sets up and breaks down in a couple mins.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

12 volt ACs get closer and closer every year. For now you need a decent battery bank and a way to quickly recharge that bank.
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons and A/C systems Reply with quote

Thanks for the links. The shore power idea is what i was thinking. Have the A/C and batteries on a separate power circuit running off the campsite power. Then have a normal power circuit for the van itself and the stock/rebuilt A/C for driving use. Guess I have some reading to do!

Mark, do you plug that in via extension cord straight to the site power? I bet that thing can make the van a regular freezer at full blast.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: