Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sporadically flickering oil light
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shallot Tzu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Sporadically flickering oil light Reply with quote

I am sure this question has been asked before but I was unsucessful in the search so please forgive me... I have a '71 camper Bus w/ a 1600 single carb engine, kind of a beater but fun nonetheless. It has run pretty well however its newest quirk is that the engine oil light comes on at a low RPM. If I put my foot in the gas just a hair, it goes off. When I slow down and stop while driving it comes on while at rest but is not on while actually driving down the road. It doesnt come on solid but pulses rapidly with the rhythm of the engine. I have tried cleaning the sensor and cleaning the oil pressure relief valve to no avail. The engine doesn't seem to be running at a particularly high temperature. Needless to say I have quit driving it except to test it after each attempeted remedy. There are no weird sounds. This problem didn't start until after I had changed the oil for the first time(just got the bus) although I had barely driven it beforehand. I made sure there was plenty of oil...2.5 quarts? Can anybody offer some insight on this one? I am new to wrenching on VWs so I really appreciate anything you can send my way. Thanks a ton...
Jon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Sporadically flickering oil light Reply with quote

Hey Shallot,

I'm no expert either, but maybe your idle is just set a little too low? That might cause the oil pump to not put out the required pressure for the switch.

I think I also read somewhere that on old buses, the long wire from the switch to the dash can have enough resistance to make the light glow a little.

I just bought a 1970 Westfalia with a 1971 engine like yours. Lots of fun so far!!

See ya,
Jon Wade
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Sporadically flickering oil light Reply with quote

Yeah the wire can give a lot of resisance when old but if that was the problem it would'nt go out at speed. you should probably replace the sensor with a new one. their cheap. If that doesn't work try using an oil pressure tester with the engine both cold and hot. If it checks out O.K. figure out whats wrong any way. Its really important to have warning when your oil pressure drops. maybee you do have to replace the wire.
nodtobob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Sporadically flickering oil light Reply with quote

If your idle is low that can cause it to happen to, check your timing and dwell and adjust your valves and get everything dialed in first then remedy your problem everything was meant to work on a dialed in motor, not to say that you haven't already done that but just suggestive. good luck anthony
Shallot Tzu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Sporadically flickering oil light Reply with quote

hey thanks you guys for your suggestions. I will definitely crank up the idle a little to start and tune her up. I hadn't to this point because the guy I bought it from told me he just had done so but I guess it can't hurt. I read in the Muir book that when your light flickers that way at alow RPM it could have something to do with a bad engine bearing. What do you guys think of that? Thanks again...
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Sporadically flickering oil light Reply with quote

what kind of oil?
Joshua Bro has some great advise that is what I recommend as well.

also make sure your tuned well like Anthony says and make sure your engine compartment seals and tin are all in place.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Sporadically flickering oil light Reply with quote

Be sure you adjust the idle using the large brass screw on the side of the carb and not the one on the throttle arm ( 34 pict - carb).

Did you see any metal on your drain plate when you did the oil?

smallish copper colored flakes are bearing material. Muir is right but the engine will usually be giving other signs too. If you see no metal in the oil changes and no wierd noises engine runs strong then not it is probably not a bearing(s) going out.

What is the bus like? did you get a good deal? and Welcome to the samba! ejoy your VW!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shallot Tzu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Sporadically flickering oil light Reply with quote

Thanks again. I am using 10 w 30 oil. do you have abetter suggestion? Should I use something heavier? I live in the puget sound area in Washington state. it looks like the guy before me was using something heavier given the old oil bottles he left in the engine compartment. I didn't see any metal in the screen or the drain plate when I changed the oil. it was clean.
About the bus itself...My bus is a 71 westfalia with absolutely no furnishings whatsoever. The engine is really clean and the body is super straight w/ minimal rust except someone rattle canned it flat black. I did get what I thought was a good deal, at least for around here compared to everyhting else I looked at. It was a giant tin can but is in super good shape. I just finished building some cabinets for it and got a nice convertible bed at the cascade kombis swap meet and then got some nice thick shag carpet remnants for the floor. I am getting anxious to hit the road with her soon as I got some minor details worked out.... thanks again for the help...
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Sporadically flickering oil light Reply with quote

It might like 20w 50 or straight 40 until winter... oil is cheap, change it and see, even try an additive like "lucas oil stabilizer" it will not hurt a damn thing... sounds like a great driver/project, enjoy and keep posting!
jimmyD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Sporadically flickering oil light Reply with quote

Believe it or not, somebody crossed the wires to the warning lights in my 84 Westy. The oil light flickered because it was the alternator wire, not the oil.

Wierd.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: