Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stabilizer link
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Stabilizer link Reply with quote

I replaced a broken right (passenger side) stabilizer link in my 84 last week, only to have it break again this weekend! I have the "early style" bent stabilizer link rather than the late 84 "straight link".

Both links are not binding in the lower metal bushing, and I used plenty of anti-sieze in the re-assembly.

I have a spare stabilizer rod (sway bar), and just ordered 2 more stabilizer links and their bushings. If I find that the sway bar is not bent (plan to compare it to the spare), then I'm at a loss as to why the passenger side has broke twice now. The first time I figured the lower part was binding in the metal bushing. There is no other apparent suspension damage on the front suspension, and even with the broken stabilizer link, the Vanagon drives and rides fine.

Anyone else experience this in their past?

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
vandukw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a broken link pass side on my 84, , it snapped right where the threaded section at the bottom starts, I think they rust out because of the slight dish in the top of the control arm where the link goes thru, I welded mine back together maybe you have some rust on the top of the control arm where the link goes thru and the new link isnt seating properly? Maybe yours was overtightened?, I dont know the torque spec for that but they shouldnt be cranked down more than enough to snug the bushings
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: