Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suggestions? Who to restore my '67 Westfalia in CA
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Suggestions? Who to restore my '67 Westfalia in CA Reply with quote

Greetings.
Before you make kind suggestions of places like West Coast Classic Restoration, and LaVere's VW Restoration (both EXCELLENT looking shops), please hear me out.

My wife and I live in the Bay Area of California. We have rented apartments for over ten years. If I had a house, or even a driveway, I'd consider slowly working on my '67 Westfalia as a hobby myself. Instead, it has been sitting, neglected in the northern part of the state for 10+ years.

I feel I need to find someone to do my restoration work for me. Preferably someone who has experience, but wants more (experience), and has both the time (even if it takes a LONG time), and the place (space, tools, etc.) to get it done without breaking me.

The car drives, but needs plenty of body work (classic common rust areas), needs to be stripped down, rust eliminated, painted and put back together using as many new parts as possible. Heck, engine-wise, I can even hire-out for that separately. It's the body work, painting, and rewiring/sealing/etc. Even Westfalia kits are easier to come by these days if I don't use the original ones from the bus.

SO, do you know anyone who does this kind of work? Do you have someone to suggest? Please let me know. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about checking with the local High Schools? Maybe there is one with a shop class looking for a project? I know all the teenagers around here would love to work on a bus and if time is not an issue, that may be good for you.

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mowser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurnugen wrote:
How about checking with the local High Schools? Maybe there is one with a shop class looking for a project? I know all the teenagers around here would love to work on a bus and if time is not an issue, that may be good for you.

All the bodywork and paint on my bus was done by a high school body shop. Given the instructor is a good friend of mine but I couldn't be happier.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cdennisg wrote:
If I was in this for big money, I wouldn't be in it.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions? Who to restore my '67 Westfalia in CA Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Greetings.
Before you make kind suggestions of places like West Coast Classic Restoration, and LaVere's VW Restoration (both EXCELLENT looking shops), please hear me out.

My wife and I live in the Bay Area of California. We have rented apartments for over ten years. If I had a house, or even a driveway, I'd consider slowly working on my '67 Westfalia as a hobby myself. Instead, it has been sitting, neglected in the northern part of the state for 10+ years.

I feel I need to find someone to do my restoration work for me. Preferably someone who has experience, but wants more (experience), and has both the time (even if it takes a LONG time), and the place (space, tools, etc.) to get it done without breaking me.

The car drives, but needs plenty of body work (classic common rust areas), needs to be stripped down, rust eliminated, painted and put back together using as many new parts as possible. Heck, engine-wise, I can even hire-out for that separately. It's the body work, painting, and rewiring/sealing/etc. Even Westfalia kits are easier to come by these days if I don't use the original ones from the bus.

SO, do you know anyone who does this kind of work? Do you have someone to suggest? Please let me know. Thanks!

Please take no offense, but....Unless the bus has mega sentimental value, sell it and buy one thats restored alrealy. Much easier and chances are cheaper.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post pictures of your bus!!!!!

Fixing up a bus is fun, especially if it's one you've had a long time and are attached to.

Is it original paint? If so, read this:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76072&highlight=paint
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=104334&highlight=paint

and think about not re-painting it.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please take no offense, but....Unless the bus has mega sentimental value, sell it and buy one that's restored already. Much easier and chances are cheaper.

No offense taken. It kind of does, however, have a lot if sentimental value. Belonged to my grandparents, it got me through high school and college... and the worst thing is that if I were to consider just getting one already restored, I'd basically just be considering not owning a bus any longer (lack of storage space in the Bay Area, etc.). And you are 100% right; it would be a LOT cheaper (LaVere's, based on a verbal description, quoted approx. 30K for body restoration) I just don't have that kind of cash lying around... Sometimes I think about just making the bus mechanically sound again and putting back up my back window sign which says; "Rust Experiment in Progress", and just using it.

Quote:
All the bodywork and paint on my bus was done by a high school body shop.

The high school suggestion is excellent, and Arthurnugen's bus looks great.

Quote:
Post pictures of your bus!!!!

Alas, the bus has been garaged in the North State (northern part of CA)for over ten years, and back when it was my daily driver was before the days of digital cameras being common. I did find the following old B&Ws on my computer, however:

[/img]
arthurnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The high school suggestion is excellent, and Arthurnugen's bus looks great.

Thanks, but I think you meant Mowser. Smile Mowser's bus does look amazing. You might also want to check with the local community colleges. My sister-in-law has a mid-90s Toyota 4runner that her local CC loves to work on. She's had a ton of mechanical work done for free.

zozo wrote:

1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
taken. It kind of does, however, have a lot if sentimental value. Belonged to my grandparents, it got me through high school and college... and the worst thing is that if I were to consider just getting one already restored, I'd basically just be considering not owning a bus any longer (lack of storage space in the Bay Area, etc.). And you are 100% right; it would be a LOT cheaper (LaVere's, based on a verbal description, quoted approx. 30K for body restoration) I just don't have that kind of cash lying around...

LMFAO!!!!! 30K for a phone quote! Do you get two buses back?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, 30k seem WAY out there. I realize that body work is expensive, but when you said 30k I had to stop myself from saying I'll do it! Since you're in the bay area you should go to the Kelly Park show this weekend in San Jose. You'll see lots of great buses, and be able to talk directly to some people who either do the restorations or know people who worked on their buses. Bring the westy, I'd love to check it out.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you should go to the Kelly Park show this weekend in San Jose. You'll see lots of great buses, and be able to talk directly to some people who either do the restorations or know people who worked on their buses. Bring the westy, I'd love to check it out.

Darn! Would love to make it to San Jose for the meet, but I'm following up two other obsessions this weekend: Saturday - cheese (we're going with friends to a creamery), and Sunday we have tickets to see some independent theatre (matinee. the director is a friend).
You're right on track though; finding individuals who hire themselves out to do restoration is exactly what I am hoping to find.
As to driving my westy, "The Toaster", she's stuck up in Orland, CA (three hours drive north of the Bay), and although she's up on blocks, has four brand new tires, and a new battery, she hasn't been started up in *gulp* four+ years (?!?).
If you happen to come across anyone at the meet who seems to be a restorer, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could get some contact info, however.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on how bad the bus is (we have not seen any pics), i don't think 30K for a HIGH END body restoration and HIGH END paint job, DONE CORRECTLY is out of line depending on what needs to be done to the vehicle. sorry, i don't. i know people who have spent much more, but then again you could eat off the frames they are so immaculate underneath (and all over as well).
i don't think this is the best route for someone who wants to use their bus on a regular basis though.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each their own, I still think 30k sounds high.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
bugginmiami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30k is high, but not if you are looking for a top of tte line body restoration. I was feeling out people on what it would cost to repaint my bus, and the number I kept hearing was $4k and up. So for something decent, I think that would be a starting point. Mine has minimal rust and bodywork needed, but I wanted it stripped and paint better than it had on there, so that was the starting point. At that price Id be stripping the windows,bumpers etc off myself too. Id think you should be able to find someone able to do it for $5k. I have a guy here that will paint it for $1500, and it wont be horrible, but it wont be pretty and will be directly painted ontop of the crappy paint, and cheesball bodywork. Just have to find what quality you want and are able to afford to pay for. The more involved you are in it, the better it will be. There ARE those that will take your $6k and give you a $1500 paint job. If you can show someone exactly the quality you expect, see prior work, check in during body/rust repair and have a clue what looks right vs. wrong, you will get a better finished product to last the next 10 years.

johnnypan wrote:
Never mess with a cat who smiles for his mug shot..he gives way less of a fuck than you do..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

off subject but, what size tires are you running ? and are your rims the flat 4 repops or OG ?
68 fastback
73 Thing
74 Thing
54 chevy 210
63 mercury meteor wagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BDWannaB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Hazetguy. You get what you pay for. Go to a show and pick out the 10 best restored buses. Most, if not all, of them cost a fortune in bodywork, paint, etc.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE NEED PICS! Smile Get someone with a digital camera up there to email some pics of the bus to you, especially of the underside.

zozo wrote:

1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most good painters like to do their own body work because a paint job can only be as good as the preperation that is underneath it. Most body men won't work on old buses because they are a pain in the butt (curved bodies, spot welds all over).
Be careful who does the body work on the bus. When I got my 1957 micro bus back in 1977, someone in Santa Rosa had just restored it and the body looked great, except for the cut out wheel wells and flares. A few years later, though, the right outer rocker began getting some nasty looking bubbles beneath the paint. What he had done was patch a fairly large hole (rusted out) with fiberglass and resin. Rust continued because the "pocket" inside caught moisture. This was a short term fix which allowed the body man to save time and money. He, also, had filler on parts of the body way too thick, which was done to save time. Next to the left side of the "V" on the nose panel, filler began to crack. You want to make sure that a student or any body man is not going to take these shortcuts to save money and time.
Regarding painting, don't take the body down to bare metal unless you have to. When I was restoring my 1963 camper, I sanded down through a couple of layers of newer paint to the original paint, and painted over it. As long as the original paint is good, with nothing like bubbling beneath it, you can shoot your primers and top coat over it.
I live about 25 miles east of Orland (Chico) so send me a message if you go to Orland, and want to come to my house and take me to look at the bus. I can give you some advice on what needs to be done to it.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campy wrote:
I live about 25 miles east of Orland (Chico) so send me a message if you go to Orland, and want to come to my house and take me to look at the bus. I can give you some advice on what needs to be done to it.

It's offers like this and people like Campy that make this such a great community.

zozo wrote:

1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Sometimes I think about just making the bus mechanically sound again and putting back up my back window sign which says; "Rust Experiment in Progress", and just using it.

Hey man , nothing wrong with doing that. You can have just as much fun with a $4000 bus as you can with a $40000 bus.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll certainly concede that 30K may be reasonable if it is all done right, and you have all been pointing out great "problem" areas to watch out for no matter what I end up doing (I appreciate all of this). Just wish I had that kind of money lying around. ...a theme being developed here seems to be; "how 'restored' do I ultimately need/want the bus to be?"

Regretfully my wife's grandparents in Orland don't own a digital camera, but I'll get some shots the next time I am up there...

Quote:
Campy wrote:

Actually, my wife is from Chico, we met in Chico, and as it is Chico, we most likely have some mutual acquaintances with Campy. At the latest, I KNOW I'll be in Chico the weekend of May 23rd (more theatre events) but hopefully sooner. I'd gladly take you up on your kind offer.

Again, please keep this thread going if/as people have additional things to say, and yes, if anyone has some particular people to recommend for the potential work, I'm all ears.

Quote:
off subject but, what size tires are you running ? and are your rims the flat 4 repops or OG ?

...this is the most VW talk I've enjoyed in over 10 years. Not sure of my tire size off-hand, but fairly positive I'm driving on the OG rims. 100% original from the assembly line (and old/used enough to look it too).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: