Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How long does fuel line last?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

One year
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Two years
37%
 37%  [ 13 ]
Five years
42%
 42%  [ 15 ]
Ten years
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 35

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

Anyone want to take a guess? We're driving around today in my 69 beetle. The clutch cable isn't even squeaking anymore. Maybe lubing the clutch cable was all it needed. Go to Nisqually and take a scenic walk in the rain for an hour. Really cool old barns give me barn envy. Lots of birds. Get back to the car and I smell gas. No leak under the hood. Not in the engine compartment either. Yup. The fuel line by the tranny is leaking. Sad
Replaced it when I got home.

Guess how old it was.

Edit...... I wanted to add more options to the poll, but I don't see how to. Oh well.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

Two years?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

Fuel line won't last eleven minutes if you buy the cheap shit line and reef the hose clamps on too tight.

It won't last long if you park the car and stare at it in your garage.

Volkswagen of Germany 5mm braided fuel line for our cars lasts a few years before I replace it out of practice. It could probably go longer, but it's cheap insurance. Anyone who bags on it:

a) doesn't understand there are at least four manufacturers of braided 5mm fuel line on the market today
b) doesn't understand the braided locking function
c) clamps unnecessary hose clamps on, and over tightens them
d) pulls the hose to remove it from fittings instead of using the twist/push method
e) doesn't drive their car at least once a month

I have 37k miles on my engine compartment line, and 55k+ miles on the line from the tank to the firewall. No clamps, no leaks, no rips, no cracks.

VW line. Because why the hell would you use anything else,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

Depends on the line and what's in the fuel you use.
German braided Vs: pure gasoline = a few years most of the time
German braided Vs: Ethanol = a few months on a good day
SAE J30R9 or better Vs: any fuel = years+

The amount it sits and how you attach them also plays a part in any products life span as Robbie mentions.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

I used the braided 5mm line, no hose clamps under the car. Continental IIRC.
I don't see why parking a car would make a difference to fuel line wear. I mean some things go bad with use, some with age, right? But if it makes a difference I've put about 65 K miles on this car since 1989. I think at one point it sat about three years with a really bad wheel bearing, but other than that it has had about 1 to 3 K a year on it, and it gets driven at least 100 miles a month generally.
I'd like to stare at my bug in the garage, but there isn't room in there for it, so it sits out in the rain and I stare at it there. Sad

Yes there is ethanol in the gas.

The fuel line did last more than eleven minutes Very Happy
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

Some of the German braided fuel line (purchased at Wolfgang International) in my bug is three years old. I've had some of the line off for various reasons and they look brand new--ends and all. And here in California we most certainly have methanol in the fuel.

Recently, I pulled my fuel tank and thought I'd go ahead and replace the braided line under the tank; since, being a Super, you have to pull the tank to do this job. Anyway, I pulled the tank to get at my U-joint, and decided I may as well change the braided line and filter.

The filter looked great. The braided line looked new. I changed them anyway since I had already 1,2,3d it. But it was not necessary.

I can only assume some braided is better than others.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

Anyone want to take a guess? We're driving around today in my 69 beetle. The clutch cable isn't even squeaking anymore. Maybe lubing the clutch cable was all it needed. Go to Nisqually and take a scenic walk in the rain for an hour. Really cool old barns give me barn envy. Lots of birds. Get back to the car and I smell gas. No leak under the hood. Not in the engine compartment either. Yup. The fuel line by the tranny is leaking. Sad
Replaced it when I got home.

Guess how old it was.

Edit...... I wanted to add more options to the poll, but I don't see how to. Oh well.

Do we get a prize if we get it right? Laughing Laughing

My guess is five years, two months, three weeks, four days, six hours, eight minutes and eleven seconds. Am I close? Dancing

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I don't see why parking a car would make a difference to fuel line wear. I mean some things go bad with use, some with age, right?

It depends on the gas, constantly fresh gas doesn't seem to effect it much, but once it starts getting old smelling the deterioration jumps dramatically. And no 2 tanks of gas age the same, some smell fine after 2-3 years, others get funky in 6-8 months, maybe it's the seasonal blend, or the refineries passing off old stock, I have yet to determine why some lasts longer.

I've switched to running ethanol free in anything that may sit more than a few weeks, the extra expense is still cheaper than the time to clean out or replace a gummed up fuel system.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

I try to never run ethanol blended gas in my VW if I can avoid it. Once in a while I end up someplace that doesn't give me a choice but that's usually when I'm travelling and when I get home that stuff gets run out and the non-ethanol stuff goes in. I also run non-ethanol gas exclusively in my riding mower. I think I might have replaced the fuel line on it once in 14-15 years. I'm voting for 10 years! Dancing

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

I voted 5 years only because I should never go 10- but I often do.

I think they last a helluva lot longer when you never, ever put that ethanol shit in your classic car, motorcycle, lawn mower, weed whacker, etc...

If your car sits- I don't believe fuel line reacts to any difference. Exposure is exposure in the presence or absence of flow. But if the line never vibrates from said sedentary barn life- then I expect it would become more brittle when reintroduced to the rigors of motion.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1248 days or 3 years, 4 months and 30 days and the German fuel hose and clamps made by ABA in Sweden are still in good condition in my Sedan, running with pure gasoline.
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

I have fuel line in my 99, 05,06 that are All original equipment and run ethanol gas all their life. Ethanol gas has nothing to do with life if you use the right stuff. More bad internet info
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

The aircooled shop in NJ says never to run non-braided. I didnt ask him why, as I was on the phone with him in a rushed atmosphere. I trust his judgment.
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
The aircooled shop in NJ says never to run non-braided. I didnt ask him why, as I was on the phone with him in a rushed atmosphere. I trust his judgment.

ACVW shops,especially ones that have been around a long time, say alot of things mostly based on old news. I know one shop that says to only use 30W oil.
10 years ago and before ethanol I would agree on the braided line. But you can get better now. I use braided only in the engine compartment where I can keep an eye on it easier. But it's mainly there for looks.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

I recently replaced the under-tank fuel line on my 1970. That fuel line was 47 years old. I'm not guessing either, has been mine since 1972.

Yes, I added a metal fuel filter there.

My 1971 Super has the original fuel line under its tank.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

I'm another person who hasn't had any issues with GOOD quality, German braided fuel line. I've gone 3 years and then changed it just because of calendar age. It was still fine. I even cut it lengthwise when I changed it looking for alcohol damage internally (we have alcohol in our fuel) and nothing could be seen.

Whoever said there's different quality levels of German braided line is on point. I'm pretty anal about PM service on my VW's. I have seen what old, bad German braided fuel line looks like on just purchased used VW's. It drys out and gets hard. You can't bend the old fuel line into a "U" shape without the fuel line cracking and ripping the braided cover. In the picture below, this fuel line was leaking under my then just purchased bus. It was super hard, dry and as I mentioned, snapped, crackled and popped trying to get it to bend into a "U". I bet it was decades old.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So, now when I have my engine lids up, I'm always checking the ends of the fuel line and seeing how flexible the fuel line is as well. Again, I change it at 3 years just because but I may even go longer if it still passes the flexibility tests and I incur no cracking at the end where it's slips on the inlet/outlet pipes.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

I used new braided fuel line for my 1970's resurrection, replaced all the old lines. Some of the braided fuel line came from WW, some came from JBugs (just because I didn't order enough when I did my WW order).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

Time will tell, as mentioned some lasts fine while other batches turn to soaker hose in less than a year, stay vigilant.

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I used new braided fuel line for my 1970's resurrection, replaced all the old lines. Some of the braided fuel line came from WW, some came from JBugs (just because I didn't order enough when I did my WW order).

I'm curious what style they gave you? Last time I was at the counter and they tried giving me the gray stuff with red text, and I said no because I wanted the black hose with the white VW/Audio logo. So they gave me 7mm black hose with the VW logo, and I walked out before I realized what I got! Laughing Embarassed

Anybody need any decorative 7mm hose?
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: How long does fuel line last? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I'm curious what style they gave you? Last time I was at the counter and they tried giving me the gray stuff with red text, and I said no because I wanted the black hose with the white VW/Audio logo. So they gave me 7mm black hose with the VW logo, and I walked out before I realized what I got! Laughing Embarassed

There was no printing on either of the fuel hoses as far as I can remember.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: