Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California DMV help
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenknots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: California DMV help Reply with quote

I live in California and I recently bought a '71 Super Beetle from out of state. The car is a project with no engine installed or interior (yet) and when I went to the DMV I was told they cannot title an out of state car without the CHP inspecting it first and they won't inspect a car without at least an engine installed. So now apparently I can't get a CA title and all I have as proof of ownership is a signed Nevada title and a bill of sale.

Has anyone here found a way around this silly requirement so I can get a California title in my name?

TIA
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: California DMV help Reply with quote

They are serious about this

Get an engine, good used about $500 and run the process.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: California DMV help Reply with quote

I've brought a couple vehicles in from OOS, and I don't think there's any way around it. They wanna verify VINs match title before retitling, they don't wanna put junk in their system.

What is different is, for mine, DMV came out and did the inspection(s). Perhaps they've shed that burden and relegated it solely to the CHP now.
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: California DMV help Reply with quote

What if you had an engine that "came with the car" Wink ... take photo of the engine next to the car and explain it is going to be rebuilt but that there is no point in installing it at this point. Show them photos of the chassis number on the tunnel and the engine number (though I doubt they'd care about that) and see if that is enough to appease them.

Regardless of what engine you install, the car will end up being registered as a '71, so you don't have to worry about it passing a smog test ... be glad you don't have to deal with that headache!

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: California DMV help Reply with quote

You will need all the post 1967 smog stuff

Evap canister
34 pict 3 carb
Throttle positioner , two piece
Dashpot damper
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: California DMV help Reply with quote

As uptight as the California DMV can be on some things, they don't seem to care about checking pre-'75 cars for such stuff. (Just not enough of them around to bother.) They will for '75 and later since they need to pass emissions testing. Not an issue when I registered my '69 with a rebuilt engine.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: California DMV help Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You will need all the post 1967 smog stuff

Evap canister
34 pict 3 carb
Throttle positioner , two piece
Dashpot damper

no, you don't need any of that for a title.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: California DMV help Reply with quote

Most places won’t allow an open title like that it seems weird that California would be ok with it or even Nevada. I know every state is different but here in PA if I sign the title they won’t notarize it without knowing the address and name of the new owner. If it leaves the state they want it out of their system.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BruceFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: California DMV help Reply with quote

You will need to put an engine in the car so they can document the engine number on the title (not that it matters in the long run). They will run the VIN (and engine code) in the system to make sure nothing comes back as stolen. The car also needs to have a speedo showing its current mileage so they can document that.

Also they will check to make sure you have working safety equipment. Turn signals, brake lights and headlights will all be checked and need to be in good working order.

It sounds worse then it is, but once its gets checked your good to go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: