Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

I guess I'm kinda of an impatient guy... But I've been wondering lately how people deal with having their car listed here ( or I guess elsewhere ) for months and months ?

At what point do they accept "days on the market" is kinda of an indication their price is off base.!?

Granted the days of " hold and it will go up" perhaps created this but it feels like we are in a different vw market now ( for the most part )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

Probably a lot of variables here. How much the seller needs the cash, how many similar cars are for sale in the sellers geo, the condition and price of those comps, does the seller truly want to sell and are they using it? Do they have other cars to wrench on? Garage space, angry spouse, ability to make repairs, etc. Could also be as simple as someone selling their vehicles but not updating or revisiting the list site.

It’s true what they say about patience being a virtue.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

It's only worth what someone else will pay.

If it's not selling, lower the price.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
I guess I'm kinda of an impatient guy... But I've been wondering lately how people deal with having their car listed here ( or I guess elsewhere ) for months and months ?

At what point do they accept "days on the market" is kinda of an indication their price is off base.!?

Granted the days of " hold and it will go up" perhaps created this but it feels like we are in a different vw market now ( for the most part )

Why is the vw market different now? Confused

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:

seems like more of a buyers market in general to me i guess
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

It’s the fools gambit of “ I have 20,000 in this so I won’t sell it for less”

Meanwhile , the car degrades, and the future value of the 15,000 you could get for it continues to climb.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:

Maybe for the type 2,pre- 67 type 1,Ghia verts, type 181, vw's.

02/76 Beetle sedan
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

what feedback are you getting to the ad? nothing at all? people low balling or wanting the distance allowed for?
it's not a great time to sell and maybe we've had peak vw prices (except for uber rare) but only you know where your threshold is for making a sale.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

finster wrote:
what feedback are you getting to the ad? nothing at all? people low balling or wanting the distance allowed for?
it's not a great time to sell and maybe we've had peak vw prices (except for uber rare) but only you know where your threshold is for making a sale.

i don't have an ad up, just look at the ads a lot and there are some on for multiple months.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: how do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
iamdonquixote wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:

Maybe for the type 2,pre- 67 type 1,Ghia verts, type 181, vw's.

seems to cover most of the vintage vw market ?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
finster wrote:

i don't have an ad up, just look at the ads a lot and there are some on for multiple months.

If it were my forum you would post a $90 bond to post an ad, refundable in full for first 30 days, then $1 a day charged thereafter.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: how do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
iamdonquixote wrote:

Aging population. I'm seeing the same thing in vintage motorcycles. Triumphs, BSAs and Nortons up to 1970 are "geezer bikes". Old riders are getting too old to ride. Young people aren't interested in old bikes.

I would say the same thing is going on in VWs. The last aircooled Bug was imported 50 years ago. There are a few enthusiasts who are enthusiastic as ever, but...

Aging demographic.

Young people don't want cars older than they are. They may for a brief and shining moment think they want an old Bug. They lack the nostalgia that came with growing up with and living with VWs for decades.

While some parents have nostalgic attachment to old Bugs, Mommy doesn't want her kids driving something she can punt into the next plane of existence with her SUV. "It's not safe."

While I would like to say I'm an enthusiastic as ever, I'm not.

I like heat, I like air conditioning and more to the point I like a vehicle I don't have to put together outta rust flakes I found on the side of the road and engine parts swept up years ago from someone's garage floor.

I'm not too enthusiastic about the prices of parts, availability of parts and quality of parts. For example how 'bout that luxurious set of heads you have, Applegreen? Rolling Eyes

I remember The Good Old Days. The Good Old Days are so far gone they're not even a speck in my rearview mirror.

Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
finster wrote:

"FOR SALE" Ad gets exposure no matter how long it's listed, many use this to compare prices, condition & market availability.

Pushing the price up in a listing is not against the law, it's exposure and this is what the vehicle market has become, dealing with the interested buyers and avoiding wasting time with "low-ballers".

If your interested, make an offer, sometimes you will be surprised ... get shot down, move on.

Autumn & Winter are the best opportunity for buyers ... Not car cruising season for most ...
Spring & Summer are car cruising season ... exposure ... people are looking for cars & have money to burn!

If a person is in a rush to unload a vehicle it's usually due to the 4 - D's ...
Death, Divorce, Depression or Disease.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

And...

I remember when $5000 was a princely sum for a nicely restored Bug. Then it went $10k, now the high end is over $20k.

If you remember these are supposed to be "economy" cars intended for the masses.

I have no idea who is actually buying high money Bugs much less big money Busses.

It's down to "Monkey See" pricing and The Magic Internet.

Monkey see $5k, $10k or $20k Bug. Monley think, "Hey! I have a rusty '71 Super Beetle! My pile must be worth $5k, $10k or $20k, too!"

Some people are absolute idiots about selling on the internet. They think it's The Magic Internet. Post a car, ten minutes later a private party shows up with a bottomless checkbook or a pile of cash. Buyer is supposed to do do their Carfax impersonation and buy it on the spot.

It doesn't work that way. The higher your price, the longer you're going to wait.

Some sellers have no communication skills. Even worse, Facebook is promoting all communication going through Facebook. Sellers are loathe to give out contact information, to give out their address or to meet in person. Geez. Like I'm going to drive four hours to meet you in the Lowe's parking lot all the while hoping you're actually going to show and you're actually going to show me your car. And, if you're going to show me your car you say you're sick of "tire kickers". When you actually show me your car there's fifty years of rust, dents and half- assed repairs that aren't obvious in your pictures.

If you have no situational awareness you probably suck at selling things.

If you're The Grumpy Old VW Curmudgeon you may want to consider -I'M- The Grumpy Old VW Curmudgeon. I had a lifetime's supply of BS before I ever left the farm. That was a long, long time ago. Where do you expect to find BS?

And, hey Applegreen... the deal I did with you, I showed up, I handed over a wedge of cash and I was a pair of tail lights in the distance minutes later. That's the way to do it and that's the way it's done. Cool

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

I wonder about this as we have a couple local VWs (a 1980 Vanagon and a two tone 1955 Bug) that have been on and off the local postings (Craigslist, Marketplace, Kijiji, etc) for a few years now.

Both are priced about $10k to $15k over market value unless someone really wants that particular model and colour scheme to add to their collection. With these two examples, maybe the owners are happy to keep them but willing to part with them if someone is willing to pay?
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

Ahhhh, my favorite subject Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Yes, I think some of this ^ ^ ^ (Shonandb)... The "I don't really wanna sell it, but if yer dumb enough to help me pay off my mortgage, I'll let it go."

And to add to OP's point about days on market: not just those, but VIEWS...if a vehicle ad has had 5 or 10 thousand views and hasn't sold, then pretty much the entire VW world has seen it and are not interested in wasting absurd money on egregiously overpriced tin cans, and now you're just playing the lottery, wishing (and dreaming) for that one hungry, ignorant, impatient fish to come along and grab the bait.

And lastly, I agree, the fad is gradually fading. Most everyone who wants one has got it, or has said "f*ck this, these guys and their prices are ridiculous," and have moved on and forgotten that short-lived VW whim.

Remember in the early '90s and beyond, when you couldn't touch a Harley for less than $6K over asking, some far more? Now they're sitting in garages collecting dust, and last time I looked, you can pick up a sweet Big Twin bagger for 7 or 8 K. Nuff said.
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
It's only worth what someone else will pay.

If it's not selling, lower the price.

Perfectly said! And if you can’t afford what someone is selling, offer up your best and then move along.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

I will allow a year, If no hits in 30 days, then the price is wrong. Keep an eye on similar cars up for sale- if they disappear after 7 days or so , they are usually priced right. Keeping the thing running and presenting well is a hassle.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

On the other hand if you don't even advertise the car is for sale, someone calls and asked to buy it, hops a plane, rents a car and shows up from 1500 miles away with cash in hand... perhaps it was under priced?

Well I guess it was but it is out of the yard, no longer sitting around rusting away and the new owner loves it!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
On the other hand if you don't even advertise the car is for sale, someone calls and asked to buy it, hops a plane, rents a car and shows up from 1500 miles away with cash in hand... perhaps it was under priced?

Well I guess it was but it is out of the yard, no longer sitting around rusting away and the new owner loves it!

Or in my case the new owner of my '65 Kombi showed up from 15 minutes away and towed away my Bus before any money changed hands. I wasn't home when the tow truck operator came. Dude who scooped up my Bus kept tellin' stories it was 100 miles away enjoying a high money restoration. Maybe true but the part of it I know to be true is my neighbor traded my Bus for the stupidest VW trike I've ever seen the same day. No titles are required here. The agreed upon purchase price never materialized. Worse, the prick kept hitting me up for VW parts for his glue sniffer trike while dropping broad hints he'd like me to find him a split or an oval to butcher.

Well, an oval is easy. I have 2 1/2 of them in the barn. Except... next time, B.C.o.F.O..

Fool me once... Rolling Eyes

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: