Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full Rear Quarter Panel Replacement
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Full Rear Quarter Panel Replacement Reply with quote

Picture is courtesy of Aircooled.net
http://www.aircooled.net/images/pphotos/exp0005.jpg

Has anybody ever put a full quarter? I don't need all of it and don't have any donor cars in my area that I could chop away on. This seems like a one fix all to many rust problems.

The inside and outside well is bad and up to about 1 1/2 " to 2" over the fender fastening strip straight below the vent. I know I can get the well pieces along with the fastening strip, but above that towards the vent this is the dilemma because of the "crease". I am pretty sure that the vent area is fine, as well as around the window.
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've never installed the full quarter panel up into the drip rail I have cut them through the B pillar and over through the inner fender cutting across the rear side window opening down into the fender well.
It sounds like you'd do better replacing it all though. I've opened the drip rail to install a new front quarter panel and it isn't that hard once you get it started.
Paul D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would prefer not to have to get the full piece, but the area with the square below is my biggest concern because of the changes in angles. It appears put some bondo past the the fender fastening area, so I would have to take out a big enough piece to cover that.

Unfortunately they masked it well, so pictures would not due it any justice. When I had the interior panels out, it appeared that they had patched the lower quarter already, so I should be fine there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the upper area where you have the square is rusting I gaurantee you have a bigger area of concern than you think you do. 71+ sedans have foam injected in the entire area from there to the side of the rear window and it traps moisture. It will need to be removed and it can be a mess.

I've routenely made patch panels out of sheet metal for these upper areas. It isn't as hard as you think making them and I just use a hammer, dolley and something to use as an anvil.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1961-1965 Bentley details the entire replacement procedure of the quarter panel. For $99, that book is worth keeping in the event bodywork is in your future.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably have way more rust lurking than you know... open that sucker up like the can of worms it is! Laughing Wink

Here is a really good link I dug up...

http://www.cjroberts.com/steve/ht/quarter/index.htm
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
You probably have way more rust lurking than you know... open that sucker up like the can of worms it is! Laughing Wink

Here is a really good link I dug up...

http://www.cjroberts.com/steve/ht/quarter/index.htm

Absolutely, is you see any rust in the C pillar area it is already too late. Great link !
Paul D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I got some bubbling in the top part of the picture too! That was probably masked over, I just didn't think it was that far but I am speculating that it is. Keith can I drive down to Texas so you can you give me a hand? Wink

Thanks all for the useful information and link!!! I will give it a full read when I get home tonight.
Edd_o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you end up doing with this?
67vert49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Quarter replacement Reply with quote

If the quarter is rusted that bad you might want to consider what the rest of the car is like. I have simply found a body in better shape and put it on the pan. I can change over the body and components in a weekend. welding and finishing panels takes a lot longer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: