Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remote oil cooler .... where do you mount it ?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Remote oil cooler .... where do you mount it ? Reply with quote

I have had my 72 plate mesa cooler with fan mounted above my transmission for 6 years now, but I want (need ?) a Kafer bar and the shock mount to shock mount bar will not fit with the cooler there ..... I have a 71 super beetle, so I was thinking about mounting it in the front below the spare tire well, behind the (Air Conditioning) grille in the front apron, but I was told that running that much oil line (to the front and back) was not a good idea.
Currently I have a full flow engine (done the right way) with Schadek 26mm pump, going to a Fram HP1 filter, then thermostat (for the fan) then the cooler and back to the case.
Where do you guys usually mount the cooler ?
Thanks in advance Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen many a Porsche with the oil cooler in the location you are suggesting.

Does your engine absolutely require this additional cooler? You may be able to do without...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, with the cooler, the temp stay around 180-185 when warm, without it (cooler bypassed) it goes to about 205-210 which is not excessive, but I'd rather see 180 than 210 Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SeVVenth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the exact same boat as you. I fabricated my own Kafer Bar and now my old cooler location is out of the equation. I am not sure what bar you have, but with my design and rather large diameter tubing, I have one very tight spot where my CB cooler with fan will fit. I have to make my own brackets and get it squirreled in there, but it will work.

Are you running a fan with that cooler? The fan is what makes it so hard to put in there. If I didn't have the fan on my cooler, it would fit in many more areas. And those temps are not very hot at all. Where is the sending unit?
681tonburb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add one more with the same trouble I have an Avenger kit car and would like to mount the oil cooler in the front I’m adding a turbo to the engine and space in the back is getting to be a rare commodity. So I would like to add it too the front just like a radiator would be. I ‘m just worried about the distance from the engine to the front of the car.
I thought about an oil to water heat exchanger with a radiator in the front so the oil would not have to travel as far but then I have to have a water cooling system on a circulation pump not hard to do but more space taken up. And I find a heat exchanger at a reasonable price.
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking about the vdubengineering bar or the CSP one.
My temp sensor is currently on the oil pressure relief, it used to be at the stock oil pressure sensor location with similar readings (within 5 degrees) what's the best recommended location for it ?

As for the cooler the only thing I can think off is using the lower mounting point of the rear shock and make a custom bracket there for it, in which case I would probably no longer need a fan on it ......
SeVVenth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will always have a fan on mine for hot summer days in city traffic. A fan isn't always needed in day to day driving, but it sure is nice.

Have you gotten a reference for your sender, also? What I mean by that is have you seen if it is accurate at the boiling point of water?

I have a sender that is located in my type 3 block off and it returns temps of about 250ish when the oil is really only at 210ish (very hot day, very hard run, and before an external cooler). I am not sure whether it's a calibration thing or whether my headers are heating the sender up that much (no, I have no referenced mine, yet). I made a little heat shield for it, but I couldn't notice a difference.

When you're mocking your cooler location, don't omit CV joint articulation.
Arnolds64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Mount it in the back window shelf. Reply with quote

There are actual heating system that supposedly mount a cooler in the Window shelf behind your seat and use the heat of the cooler to heat the interior. Might be noisy but our cars are not quiet anyway.
64 Bug, White, 2017, Dual Weber 44's, Engle 130/Engle lifters, Home P&P'd 40X35 heads, CB 4340 nitrided crank, Eagle knock off H Beam 5.5" rods, Lowering Beam, Rancho Trans, Traction Bar. 225X60's rear, 145's front on Porsche Chrome Nipple Wheels.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: