Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

smoking out side markers
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: smoking out side markers Reply with quote

okay, so i got some smoked front lenses, and have some tail lights on the way which only leaves the side markers.

following the lead of the tuner crowd, i decided to try the nightshade tinting spray to black out my side markers. overall i am happy with the results. as i suspected they don't look as good as true smoked lenses since it's really blacking out the lens. whereas smoked lenses are dark, but still transparent. none the less, if you have smoked lenses they do look better than the red/pink sidemarkers.

here's some pics, note that i had already painted the rims of my sidemarkers black with krylon fusion paint....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I have an extra set of lenses. I think I'll try it too!
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son used that paint on his rear tail light lenses of his Neon SRT-4. Within 3 months of the Florida sun, they turned foggy and chauky. It was a total PITA to wet sand them to get that "crap" off.

We ended up buying new aftermarket LED lenses.

We learned an expensive lesson; never use that junk again.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
My son used that paint on his rear tail light lenses of his Neon SRT-4. Within 3 months of the Florida sun, they turned foggy and chauky. It was a total PITA to wet sand them to get that "crap" off.

We ended up buying new aftermarket LED lenses.

We learned an expensive lesson; never use that junk again.

ha, yeah, i can see that. hence why i'm buying lenses for the other stuff. if these get weird i'll just re-coat. i don't really care about the side markers. if i ever get a real paint job for the van i'll weld them up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: