Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

25hp/early 36hp Fuel pump tin
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: 25hp/early 36hp Fuel pump tin Reply with quote

I picked the black one below this weekend at Kelley Park. Then I noticed it's different than my other one.

Does anyone know the different applications? The bolt holes are identical but they are slightly different sizes and one is constructed of more than 1 piece of metal.

Photos
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note length here:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doveblue3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 25hp/early 36hp Fuel pump tin Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I picked the black one below this weekend at Kelley Park. Then I noticed it's different than my other one.

Does anyone know the different applications? The bolt holes are identical but they are slightly different sizes and one is constructed of more than 1 piece of metal.

Photos

Note length here:

i know that when i tried a 36er one on a 912, they didnt work, although at first glance they are the same. not saying thats necessarily what you have, just giving another option.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the black one looks like a cut down 25hp one ! some one has cut the front edge down on it and relocated the hole, an easy fix if you have a good one to refer to, heres a pic of an intact one, the slightly larger one looks like an early 36hp one, the later 36 hp ones had the drip gutter down the center

There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference, the cleaner one in my photos above, on the left, is approx. 112mm long by 120mm wide (outside of holes).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeSa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:
the black one looks like a cut down 25hp one ! some one has cut the front edge down on it and relocated the hole, an easy fix if you have a good one to refer to, heres a pic of an intact one, the slightly larger one looks like an early 36hp one, the later 36 hp ones had the drip gutter down the center

Agree, I just disassembled a similar to the right one from an untouched 3 Feb 1954 industrial engine. It has quite a lot of transitional features like hex nuts for the heads, 36hp looks thin lip 9,5mm crank pulley, spot welded upper tin indents for the head nuts, 54-55 only fuel pump, thin slot big nut generator with 9,5mm pulley, fan similar to 25hp etc.
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one on my car is EXACTLY the same as the black one Everett... right down to the little lip and the fact its made of more than one piece of metal and welded... it looks precisely the same. So I dont think that one is a one off.

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I checked on why there would be a reason to have different locations for the modified screw location on Everetts tin, my photo of the one piece tin came off of a July '52 split, the difference with the screw locations can be explained by the early cylinder tins and heater box bottom tin having 3 screws instead of the later 2 screw type, The tin piece photo I posted shows the front most screw hole which has to be screwed down to the MIDDLE screw on a 3 screw cylinder tin, the tin with the extra hole spot welded on it could be used on two or three hole cylinder tins and heater boxes since it uses the left most screw hole and not the middle one, this must have been a very late 25hp part, the only thing I cant figure out is that the rear "breast plate" is specific to this tin piece, the other one in Everetts photo would not fit with a 3 screw breast plate, very strange, I checked my matching 3 screw rear tin and the right hand side also uses the midle screw only on the cyl 1 & 2 side so I cant figure out why a 2 screw 25hp fuel pump tin would be necessary especially when there is already an early type 36hp tin, the only thing I can think of is that they had some 25 hp tin left over when they switched over to 2 screw heater boxes, the problem with that is that the rear tin for that fuel pump tin only fits a 3 screw heater box, very strange that another one of these have turned up, what was the production date on 52HoffmanSplits car?
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:
OK, I checked on why there would be a reason to have different locations for the modified screw location on Everetts tin, my photo of the one piece tin came off of a July '52 split, the difference with the screw locations can be explained by the early cylinder tins and heater box bottom tin having 3 screws instead of the later 2 screw type, The tin piece photo I posted shows the front most screw hole which has to be screwed down to the MIDDLE screw on a 3 screw cylinder tin, the tin with the extra hole spot welded on it could be used on two or three hole cylinder tins and heater boxes since it uses the left most screw hole and not the middle one, this must have been a very late 25hp part, the only thing I cant figure out is that the rear "breast plate" is specific to this tin piece, the other one in Everetts photo would not fit with a 3 screw breast plate, very strange, I checked my matching 3 screw rear tin and the right hand side also uses the midle screw only on the cyl 1 & 2 side so I cant figure out why a 2 screw 25hp fuel pump tin would be necessary especially when there is already an early type 36hp tin, the only thing I can think of is that they had some 25 hp tin left over when they switched over to 2 screw heater boxes, the problem with that is that the rear tin for that fuel pump tin only fits a 3 screw heater box, very strange that another one of these have turned up, what was the production date on 52HoffmanSplits car?

Mine is a July 3 of 1952. But It's not original to the car. When I bought my Split there was no rear breast plate OR Fuel pump tin on it.... I got it off ebay.. Smile

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
HeSa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:

These are the heater boxes from the Feb 1954 engine that had the pump tin seen on the right in Everett´s picture. Still 3 screw and look identical to 25hp.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one a friend owns.

It doesn't fit most of my 25hp/early 36hp rear breast plates at all.

Gap:

But I have this one rear tin where it does fit, so both of these parts are possibly very early pieces, 1950 or ?

The shape of the white tin is different here, it may be hard to see, but the angle where it curves up to the heat riser section is different:

Also the middle hole for the white (earlier?) 3-hole tin is solid instead of a U-shape:

3 hole tin versus later 2-hole tin:

More information or exact years these fit welcome...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone asked me for this 25hp "finger" area tracing today.

Here it is for reference:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1143753

Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Someone asked me for this 25hp "finger" area tracing today.

Here it is for reference:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1143753

Nice!….Rotate 90º and you have a Salvador Dali. Wink Laughing
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Everett. that would have been me. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: