Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneStock67 wrote:
That paperclip idea does look appealing, but I fear it would not take too much vibration to move it enough to let the shaft fall out again.

Almost 2,000 miles later (with lots of bumps and vibrations) and the odometer is still working great (paperclip is on tight). But, use whatever method you feel is right for you and your van. Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kamz, I am all for the paperclip fix, and my plan is definitely to try that first. The main reason I expressed concern, and perhaps you can clear this up, is not knowing what keeps the paper clip from sliding up and down (in the frame of reference of your photo). Are the ends twisted around something not seen in the photo?

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.” -Enrico Fermi
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneStock67 wrote:
Hey Kamz, I am all for the paperclip fix, and my plan is definitely to try that first. The main reason I expressed concern, and perhaps you can clear this up, is not knowing what keeps the paper clip from sliding up and down (in the frame of reference of your photo). Are the ends twisted around something not seen in the photo?

Each end of the paperclip (it's one of those coated paperclips, not a plain metal one) is wrapped around those two posts on the odometer/speedometer assembly. The paperclip is in a C shape. If you need more details, just say the word. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to doing this fix.

It's mostly Kamz's coated paperclip technique, but I added a small piece of material from one of those stick-on felt cushion disks for chair feet (sticky side towards paper clip). The reason for the felt block is that, although it's difficult to see in the picture, that helical gear to the right sticks out closer to the camera than does the end of the axle that needs to be motion-limited, and I wanted some way to apply pressure to the axle without also rubbing against the helical gear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since the fix, I've driven all of 24 miles with everything holding nicely, so I'm well on my way to my personal best of 35.4 miles, obtained previously after just sliding the axle back in place with no other mods.

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.” -Enrico Fermi
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My odometer became intermittant about two weeks ago and it was the usual shaft movement out on the white cog wheel side.

I noticed my trip odometer not working all the time first but thought my mileage odometer was but that may not be right. At least I hope so because once out I couldn't see anything wrong with the trip odometer and assume it's integrated with the mileage odometer.

Anyway, I opted to go with the Tencent single-tab method because I had the materials and believe it can take vibration and bumps well. Tomorrow the whole cluster gets reinstalled and testing begins.

Thanks for all the different proposed options.
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was my concern about Kamz's technique too, but I don't like drilling into parts of the van unless absolutely necessary. And it seems very secure.

BTW, the paperclip is still holding after a whopping 65 miles. If it takes less than thousands of miles for it to fail, I will switch to the $.10 fix.

SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crimped one end (a little bit, the pliers were too big) and put a little dab of loctite on the "axle". Has survived over 300 miles.
netcruzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my speedo out to fix the odo.
The odometer gear that mates to the helical gear is gone.
Where can I get this gear, how many teeth is it?
UPDATE - found the gear in the dash support. It has 10 teeth. It's cracked and needs glued or replaced. That looks to be all that's wrong with mine.

This is for a 1982 air cooled, in KPH.
The Speedo cable clips on, and my gear housing is all metal. Looks a bit different than the other pictures in this thread.
netcruzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's 2 days later, and that gear just didn't want to hold with adhesive.
I tried crazy glue, it broke. Then I tried JB weld, 20 hr cure, it broke.
Tonight I tried to fabricate a clamp with wire. Tedious and it wasn't tight enough.

Then I remembered my RC toolbox has a bunch of random washers, c clips, bushings, etc. I found two washers that fit almost perfectly tight on either side of the gear to hold it together. It's a very narrow washer, so they don't block the gear teeth.

I wish I took pictures, if it holds, it'll save me $50 (price of a new gear + shipping).

I was able to install the washered gear onto the odometer shaft. Then I added locktite, and some shoe goo to the end of the washer/gear/shaft for some piece of mind.

I installed the cluster, but I won't drive the van till tomorrow. Here's hoping!

Update. It worked for 6 kms. Damn

Last edited by netcruzer on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

netcruzer wrote:
Where can I get this gear

The gear costs $13 through VDO last time I cheeked.

I understand you order by color, not tooth count, but I can be wrong too.

I just let the shop do the job for me as my fat fingers usually mess stuff up.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an interesting development on my paperclip fix.
After working very well for many hundreds of miles, it has started to develop a behavior in which it works fine when I first start driving, but then tends to stick after warmup.
I can't for the life of me figure out why there would be a warm-up-based dependency for the axle shifting, or why it would heal itself and work fine again after I stop and cool down. Probably has something to do with the piece of felt cushion I stuck in there; maybe it's getting too malleable when it's warmer?
Any other more reasonable guesses before I go in and fiddle with it?

WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneStock67 wrote:

It could be any number of things including clip shift. Recommend you get back in there and check it out because it sounds like you'll have to anyway.

After 1500 miles the screw in tab method of keeping the sliding cog wheel in contact with the helical screw is still holding up well on mine.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneStock67 wrote:
I can't for the life of me figure out why there would be a warm-up-based dependency for the axle shifting, or why it would heal itself and work fine again after I stop and cool down

I have similar symptoms.. but I used a tab method to hold the shaft in place.

My guess is that the gear teeth may be worn, and that when it gets hot in there (heater, dash lights, sun on dash, etc.) it softens the plastics enough to begin moving/slipping/missing.

Just a guess, as I have not solved the problem yet.

Funny though.. I thought my mileage had gone to hell.. but it was just that the odo was not registering all the miles driven. GPS clued me into that pretty quick. Whew!

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys considering that the grey metal gear on the opposite end of that shaft might be the one that is slipping? If you already have a tab on the worm gear side you might have fixed that side. I staked the shaft (basically bit it a couple of times with side cutters to raise the metal surface) and pushed the metal gear back on and that fixed mine. My odo used to stop and start and now it has been working fine for a couple of thousand miles.

Don't overdo the staking, it's easy to raise too much metal. I had to sand it nearly all the way down again to get the gear to fit.
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very grateful for this thread as I just fixed my odometer! now when I get the voltage stabilizer to get my gas & temp gauge, I know where to find it.

well, edit to say it worked about a mile. did the stop fix, and it works a minute, then stops, even though the shaft hasn't backed out, it isn't registering. the numbers on the tripmeter turn by hand, just isn't turning with the speedometer.
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, and I have already posted on it. but my speedometer is sitting on my dining room table, and I need some help. I've put a stop at the white gear that connects to the worm gear on the left side of the speedo. I can turn the far right wheel of numbers (tenths of miles?) by hand. the grey wheel at the end is glued into place. I can't move the far right white tripmeter wheel. If I push the tripmeter reset in and hold it, the tripmeter wheels all move properly.

I've tried several things and it just isn't working. at least I am getting practice taking the cluster in and out.

all gears seem to be meshing and I can't see any cracks. or broken gears. I feel like I'm missing something obvious, perhaps in understanding how it works. the speedometer is working, but the odometer and trip meter aren't.

I broke it when I forgot and hit the trip meter while moving. any advice?
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this fix a few years ago.

I took the spindle out which was slipping and scored it with a hobby knife where the cog slipped on into place. Before replacing the cog, i put a healthy coat of blue thread lock to hold it into place.

about 12k later and no issues.

'87 Wolfsburg Weekender, Bostig Zetec

The rehabilitation of my Van can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5949024#5949024
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I found a white gear under the table. it has a double set of cogs, one smaller diamter than the other.

I have no idea when or how it came off, or where it came from. the one that meshes with the worm gear at the left hand side is there. I have looked at every picture I can find, but none show where this cogwheel might belong. Embarassed

if anyone has a picture of the gears and arrangement of them in the odometer, could they share it?

I found another 84 instrument cluster in town, and went to get it. the speedometer on in is mounted in a completely different way. I suspect it won't work either as the grey wheel spins also. but it does supply some parts, I guess.
micklongley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Simple odometer fix Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Sorry I can't help with some of the more detailed questions but I thought I might share my experience with the my broken odometer and the fix I've been using.

My odometer quit working and I performed a fix that has lasted nearly 1000 miles so I figure it's worthy to link it to the Samba. It involves taking the speedometer/odometer assembly out of the gauge cluster but more details can be found here:

http://www.boxerswaps.com/vanagon-westfalia-articles/odometer-fix

Let me know if I'm missing some tricks that you've had success with.
VR6zamboni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have any paperclips, so I said screw it - lets see how long this lasts :- )

I wanted to get it lined up with the pin but I figure this will work too. Its not touching the gear, just close enough so it can not come out too far. Then I super glued the threads on both sides of the plastic.

It was broken on 27 miles so I reset it to Zero since I am rebuilding the motor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OdometerFixxWEB by RockOcean.com, on Flickr
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: