Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY - Red Tek conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
...my SmallCar system runs better on R134 than RedTek, and I am sure it is due to the TXV provided with the SmallCar system.

Agreed, makes sense.

I am keeping my original condenser as it is in good shape and I don't really drive anywhere with the high temps that you experience, and think, that RedTek is the best choice for me using the OEM condenser. I would have no problem using 134A if I were upgrading the condenser.

In my case, the OEM TXV lost its bulb charge and won't open so I needed a new one. But after reading several tales of woe about replacement TXV's and RedTek, I want to install one that the superheat can be easily adjusted to use RedTek. Hopefully, a do it once thing.
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Just a note--my SmallCar system runs better on R134 than RedTek, and I am sure it is due to the TXV provided with the SmallCar system, which is designed for R134. I may have to look into the adjustable TXV in the future--I liked the convenience and pricing of RedTek.

kourt

Kourt, I really appreciate this feedback. I wish I had read it before embarking down the Redtek road, but at least I have the gauges and a vacuum pump now for future use.

kourt wrote:
I tried RedTek for two years in both my 91 Vanagon and my 87 Volvo 240. Both have all new lines, parallel flow condensers, new evaporators, and new compressors--but the expansion valves were both built for R134. My wife went out of her way to thank me when I switched back to R134 in the Volvo, as it was such an improvement from RedTek.

Part of the problem is we have super hot summers in central Texas. Only so much heat rejection can occur on a 108 degree day like yesterday.

kourt

I'm in a similar, although not as dire environment. Last month has been 95-104* every day and my SC system couldn't keep up. When you say it was an improvment, did it just drop your vent temperatures?
heslamd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

I switched to Red Tek in 2015 following the guidance here. The system has been working great, but started working only intermittently last week. Sometimes nothing would happen when turn the switch, sometimes it worked fine and blew cold. This morning it worked well, this afternoon it turned on, buthen I had to restart and it would not come on again. I had a long hot ride with no AC. At home I got the gauges out and tested the pressure. The low side was at 10 and the high side at 75. When the compressor turned on the pressure did not change. I attempted to add some more Red Tek and it simply made the low side go up, the high side did not change. The fuses are good.

Compressor issue?

In 2015 I did this:
Replaced compressor
Cleaned all hoses and evaporator
Replaced all seals
Replaced dryer
Replaced expansion valve.
I did not replace any electrical components.

Thankfully the wicked heat wave seems to be ending, but I'd like to get this back in action soon.

-David
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

the Utahn wrote:
When you say it was an improvment, did it just drop your vent temperatures?

The improvement was a 10% to 20% drop in vent temps, depending on ambient temperatures.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

sub'd
RufusRockwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

Farf wrote:
Vent away...

https://www.epa.gov/snap/final-rule-protection-str...on-and-air

Open the fact sheet PDF you're good to go.

I'm finally getting around to doing this. What's the best way to let the gas out of the system?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

Most non working systems do not have any gas in the system.

The proper way if it is known to be r-12 or r-134a is to have an A/C shop remove it and collect it in a proper recycle system.

It is irresponsible to simply release the gas into the air, but it happens. It is a greenhouse gas but now that global warming is "oficially" no longer real, does it really matter?

R-12 released into the air is what happens with a leaky system. It takes months or years instead of minutes though....... same end result.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RufusRockwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

I probably should have back tracked a bit...

It's a working AC in an 85 running Red Tek. I'm preparing to pull the motor for a Subaru swap and will need to discharge the AC system.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

RufusRockwell wrote:
I probably should have back tracked a bit...

It's a working AC in an 85 running Red Tek. I'm preparing to pull the motor for a Subaru swap and will need to discharge the AC system.

You can safely discharge the RedTek direct into the atmosphere - it's no worse than propane. Hook up your manifold gauges and discharge gently into a bucket of water. Just let it bubble away until it stops.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

As I understand It, one of the pluses for redtek, r12a, is that it is NOT a greenhouse gas...... in this case, just loosen a fitting and let it drain out. Keep your body clear of the gas and wear gloves and goggles, it will freeze your skin.

You can hook up you gauge set and submerge a hose into a bucket of water to help control the gas release.

No commercial shops are equipped to recycle r-12a that I am aware of.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
RufusRockwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

Thanks!
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

In the process of changing over from r-134a to Red Tek and wondering if I should remove the hose fittings adapters for the r-134a in favor of using the original fittings. I would have to replace the Schrader valves that were removed when the updated fittings were installed. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Also, when the system was originally converted, a Vintage Air Hi Flow Condensor was added. It almost completely covers the radiator and I wonder if it might negatively affect the engine cooling. I've read that the original condensor is quite adequate for the Red Tek. The van does want to run hot in slow traffic on hot summer days. The rad was replaced with a new OE South Africa unit about 15 years ago.
Tomorrow I'll drop the overhead cabinet so I can clean & flush the evaporator and it'll be time to install the new compressor and dryer along with all new o-rings and move towards getting the system working, hopefully. The hoses were rebuilt with barrier hose back when I originally converted to 134 so, with a good flushing, they should be fine. Hopefully I didn't replace the OE expansion valve with an aftermkt one back when...I don't think I did but I don't remember for sure...old dried up grey matter.
Your thoughts and experience on this is welcome.
Thanks
87 Syncro GL
Snowave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

Help please: I recently replaced the compressor on my Subaru 2.5 motor and recharged the unit with Redtek following the instructions listed in the summation on page one of this thread.

Here is what I did and what my results are.
1. Removed all existing Redtek using a recovery system and Vacuum pump.
2. Replaced the drier.
3. Cleaned out all lines with Air Brake Antifreeze using compressed air.
4. Re-attached all lines and pulled vacuum on system for 4 hours at -30inHg. Verified the vacuum held overnight.
5. Hooked up my gauges and charged the system with 3 cans of RedTek. The low side did not start to get cold until most of the 3rd can was installed.
6. I did have a box fan blowing on the compressor and rev'd the motor to 2000rpm while adding the RedTek.

Here is where I am confused. After adding the third can I started to feel colder air coming out of the vent, but not very cold. This work was being done in my garage in Las Vegas with ambient temps at 105 degrees in the shade. The pressures I am reading are Low 38 psi, High 220 psi. I drove the van around the block with the engine compartment closed and the hatch closed. Vent temperature is only 61 degrees.

Any suggestions as to what I am missing? I was concerned with adding more refrigerant because my pressures are not at the ideal 28-30. Redtek says I should be at 30-38psi but it is hot in Vegas. Do I need more refrigerant?
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

I'd hesitate to add more refrigerant to the system yet. How long are you driving before checking the vent temps? Is this around town driving or open road highway speed driving? It can take a half to an hour to cool all the hot air trapped in the van, especially with the sun still adding addtional heat to the inside...It's a big greenhouse. Does it cool down quicker after the sun goes down? One thing to note: the higher the outside temps, the higher your pressures will be. The low pressure reading is about how much the temperature of the inside air is being cooled so if it's 110 degrees in the van with 32psi low pressure gauge reading then you'll have approx 78 degree air coming from the vents. As the temps inside the van are reduced then your vent temps should gradually get lower...at least that's how I understand it from reading my Mitchell AC Service Manual.
Best of Luck with the AC project...am dealing with the AC in both my vans at this time.
87 Syncro GL
Snowave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

I just drove home from work, approximately 25 minutes with a combination of freeway and stoplights. The vent temp when I arrived home was 69 degrees. Is 3 cans enough?
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

I did use half of a 4th can which seemed to help. Worth a try.
87 Syncro GL
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

If anyone is looking I have 3 extra cans of the Enviro Safe R134 replacement (alternative to Red Tek); happy to cut someone a good deal and drop them in the mail to you.
Snowave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

VWagabond wrote:
I did use half of a 4th can which seemed to help. Worth a try.

Thanks, I will give that a try. I just ordered a few more cans.
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

Snowave wrote:
Redtek says...

They also say (incorrectly, in bold):

"RED TEK® 12a Refrigerant is installed through the LOW SIDE SERVICE PORT AND IS CHARGED AS A LIQUID INTO A "0" ATMOSPHERIC CONDITION[. DO NOT INSTALL INTO A SYSTEM WHERE A HARD VACUUM EXISTS."

Hopefully you ignored this and added the refrigerant while the system was in a vacuum. Your symptoms could be attributed to air in the system.
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: DIY - Red Tek conversion Reply with quote

Farf wrote:
Snowave wrote:
Redtek says...

They also say (incorrectly, in bold):

"RED TEK® 12a Refrigerant is installed through the LOW SIDE SERVICE PORT AND IS CHARGED AS A LIQUID INTO A "0" ATMOSPHERIC CONDITION[. DO NOT INSTALL INTO A SYSTEM WHERE A HARD VACUUM EXISTS."

Hopefully you ignored this and added the refrigerant while the system was in a vacuum. Your symptoms could be attributed to air in the system.

I did contact them about that statement and was told it was just a suggestion and it could be installed into a vacuum state system. Also, I never charge a liquid into the system as it can damage the reed valves in the compressor. The can should be upright but can be rocked from side to side. I find putting the can into a container of very warm water helps to get it into the system.
87 Syncro GL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 58 of 60

Jump to: