Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Riviera Pop Top Seals
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vttype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

Just wanted to let all of the Riviera owners out there know that the pot top seal kit from Bus Depot works GREAT! this one:
https://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=WESTYRUBBER

i always wondered if it would fit well on a Rivi, and i searched all of the threads and it seemed that noone really knew. and at $70 a pop, i wasnt sure i wanted to spend the money something that might not work. I took the plunge and ordered it. it fits perfect!

so if you need new seals for that rivi pop top. get those........

just wanted to get that out there for future reference.

1982 Diesel Vanagon Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kkirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a regular Westy seal for the main pop-top section and it works quite well. However I still have the original seal for the luggage rack, did this seal come with the section for the front luggage part and does it fit?
2012 Suzuki VStrom DL1000
2006 Yamaha WR450
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manikmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chatter I've seen on the Bus Depot kit, or those from other suppliers-

And this is neither criticism of the quality for Depot products (as they've always been a wicked great merchant for me), any other VW merchant I've purchased from, referenced, or thought of ordering from... Nor an indication I remember what forum it was on I read/ participated in this chatter-

Is that not only did the kit not come in white (which seems to be the orig color and pleasantly distinctive from the Westy), but that the kit comes with a seal for between the poptop and the cargo area that is not necessary on the Riviera design.

Just my opinion tho; I could be wrong.

If it works for ya, sweet; white is such a PIA to keep clean... Show some pics man!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vttype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it comes with the seal for the bottom of the luggage rack, around the pot top and the flat seal between the two. the two bottom seals come up slightly higher than the orginal............ but i like the black better than the white. plus the white stuff didnt really seem to be a seal, but more of an edging, if you will.......... plus mine was all dried out fragile and cracked. looked like hell.

i will take photos this weekend............ after i install the new canvas i just made...... woo hoo!

later,
dave

Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive review, vttype2!

Quote:
Is that not only did the kit not come in white (which seems to be the orig color and pleasantly distinctive from the Westy), but that the kit comes with a seal for between the poptop and the cargo area that is not necessary on the Riviera design.

Can't help the fact that it's black (not enough demand to carry it in white). But if you don't need the between-the-poptop-and-luggage-rack seal, you can just order the other two and save a few bucks. Order one each of:

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=231070708
and
http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=231070732
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redriviera74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may continue to search for the original white. The "seal" between the luggage rack and the poptop doesn't seem to be a seal at all as mentioned before but mearly a trim piece. I have seen a Riviera on this site that has the black seals all around and they look really nice. I think he's based in the Portland area and had some pictures on here somewhere. Anyway I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.....Happy motoring.
vttype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are the photos as promised of the pop top seals:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jonyem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vttype2 wrote:
here are the photos as promised of the pop top seals:

I have to say, I really like the look.
Just curious, is that an after market canvas? It looks brown in the photo.
I'm used to seeing the bright yellow.
vttype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the looks of the black too. and its nice that the top actually seals, no more leaks. woo hoo!

you could say its aftermarket........... i made it. wasnt too hard. just the zippers were a pain. i also threw in a screen on the front that zips out so you still have access to the luggage rack.......... yeah its supposed to be a beige color, but its closer to brown. i think it turned out well. hides the dirt better.

dave

davis911s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Awesome JOB on the tent. It looks fantastic Smile

1973 Westfalia, Camper Special with 75 FI. Automatic 003 . Non-pop top
1977 Porsche 911S Targa, 2.7 L with 5spd
1992 Passat G60 Syncro Wagon (SOLD)
1975 Westfalia (SOLD)
1979 Westfalia (SOLD)
manikmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job man!
kkirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, did you have to remove the front luggage rack to install that seal?
2012 Suzuki VStrom DL1000
2006 Yamaha WR450
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vttype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah had to take the luggage rack off. but while it was off i made a new headliner and installed it, since you gotta pull it apart to get those 4 bolts out.

thanks for the kudos guys. one project after the next............ slowly its getting there......

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

Another big thanks for posting this info and pics. I just bought a Riviera, and noticed there are no seals for the top. No seals for Rivieras could be found on any of the parts sites I've found, so you saved my day with this!
I also like the look of the black.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Another big thanks for posting this info and pics. I just bought a Riviera, and noticed there are no seals for the top. No seals for Rivieras could be found on any of the parts sites I've found, so you saved my day with this!
I also like the look of the black.

KentPS, checkout a vendor on here or ebay by the name of werksberg. You may have to message him for a complete set if you don't see it available in his inventory. He makes a riviera kit that is the correct seals and lengths for the riviera tops.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=339053
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

Thanks for the info- haven't got far enough along for seals yet- but getting close. Still sourcing a new tent. Like that color- might go to Parker and see if that shop can do a tent.

My front luggage was pop riveted on- so yours might have been done once already.

Also doing a wood panel liner by draping 1/8" over the roof and soaking it to get a good profile-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

WillaimM, if you want a perfect-fit plug-and-play replacement for your Riviera poptop tent, we sell OEM replacements from the original supplier:
http://www.busdepot.com/180002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
22/7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

Did anyone find a decent replacement in white, or grey, cream, beige, anything light coloured?

I'm restoring a riviera with a lot of cost and work re. body and top paint so black would look pretty strange. If anyone knows of any edging strip or seal of this kind, sold by the foot or otherwise it would be great help to me. Thanks!
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

I found a reasonable replacement from McMaster-Carr for my 1975 Riviera. Ordered it from their website. It's a plastic edge trim with metal core, textured, white, 3/32"-3/16" inside width, 50 feet. Plenty to do the pop top and luggage rack. The stuff pushes on tightly and is snug enough that I didn't use adhesive. I tapped it with a rubber mallet to seat it evenly around the edge.

22/7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

Fantastic, just what I need - thank you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: