Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Riviera Pop Top Seals
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhellstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

I like these ideas, need a seal replacement for an 81 Riviera air cooled.

Question Side question for BusDepot: Your poptop canvas for Riviera http://www.busdepot.com/180002

What is the perimeter of this item where it velcros/screws to the plastic of the poptop and base? I realize it comes in 276 and 284 inch sizes, but that's the center perimeter, which I assume is greater than the top and bottom. My poptop perimeter where the canvas connects is closer to 270"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

rhellstrom wrote:

Welcome to The Samba, rhellstrom! An '81 Riviera? I didn't realize Riviera continued making them after the Type 2's went away. Do you have pictures you could share?

Btw... I doubt BusDepot monitors this thread, so you may want to call them directly.

Here's a lot of great info I received about Rivieras when I joined...
Tcash wrote:
Congrats!

Riviera Stuff FAQ

Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

Tcash wrote:
Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rhellstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

[quote="KentPS"]
rhellstrom wrote:

Thanks, happy to join. It's a vanagon ASI from Washington State originally. Love this as a hobby, much fun, and my early teen kids enjoy the short trips to the beach here in south east coastal Mass. Absolutely love driving, camping, and trouble-shooting this VW.

Quote:
Welcome to The Samba, rhellstrom! An '81 Riviera? I didn't realize Riviera continued making them after the Type 2's went away. Do you have pictures you could share?

Yeah, I'm only referring to the camper top design, and it's a 3 speed automatic...a real drag on power, just rebuilt the mass flow unit on the engine (didn't do much good, but it was fun to do, and it doesn't rev up down as much). picture attached.
VwDubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

Anyone know who sells the Poptop Seal for the Later Model ASI Rivera's

It,s not the one commonly found on most Bay windows It's the Vanagon version like the pic above where the poptop lifts straight up and separates from the base..

These Poptop that separates from the bottom shell are only like 5" high and have a sealing surface where the seal mates to the bottom half of the fiberglass Top..
BusDepot doesn't carry them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
chucknox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

LazyLightning75 wrote:
I found a reasonable replacement from McMaster-Carr for my 1975 Riviera. Ordered it from their website. It's a plastic edge trim with metal core, textured, white, 3/32"-3/16" inside width, 50 feet. Plenty to do the pop top and luggage rack. The stuff pushes on tightly and is snug enough that I didn't use adhesive. I tapped it with a rubber mallet to seat it evenly around the edge.

ordering today! thanks

Last edited by chucknox on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
chucknox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

LazyLightning75 wrote:
I found a reasonable replacement from McMaster-Carr for my 1975 Riviera. Ordered it from their website. It's a plastic edge trim with metal core, textured, white, 3/32"-3/16" inside width, 50 feet. Plenty to do the pop top and luggage rack. The stuff pushes on tightly and is snug enough that I didn't use adhesive. I tapped it with a rubber mallet to seat it evenly around the edge.

did you use this just on the poptop or did it work on the edge between the luggage rack and poptop? thanks
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

I bought enough to do the luggage rack too, but haven’t gotten around to it. I’d imagine it would be similar and work just fine.
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

LazyLightning75 wrote:

I know this is an old thread, but what did you pay for the Mac Master Carr white trim?

I have a crate full of white trim kits for Riverias for like 3 years or more and too busy to set a price, make ads and sell them.... Rolling Eyes

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

too busy to look it up too.

here's the MmC page

https://www.mcmaster.com/#edge-trim/=357ff389652e4b39b354cc04294ad202jv49l0ps

I took a WAG and picked this one. 8451A24
it's $35 for 25ft.
Quote:
Heavy Duty Plastic U-Channel Push-on Trim, 3/32"-3/16" Wide x 7/16" High Inside

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Pop Top Seals Reply with quote

what was on the riviera top originally was like this stuff:
FOUR WINNS BOAT EDGE TRIM MOLDING 033-0890

as in
https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/review/product/list/id/70881/
https://www.vflgrpgoods.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=88163

basically marine/rv white edge molding (i believe 3/16") with a 1/2" height

it was not black
everyone loves putting black westfalia seals on it because that's what busdepot sells

that is not "correct"
and the riviera did not have that whole seal arrangement between the top and cargo rack ...
it just had more of that edge molding

i dont know, maybe it works much better with the westfalia top seal stuff on there.

my rivier's top... with the original white edge molding still on it... is much quieter going down the road than any of the recently rebuilt late bay westies ive driven on long trips
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: