Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camper Special - won't idle when cold (video)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Camper Special - won't idle when cold (video) Reply with quote

78 2.0l fuel injected, Mallory ignition, Webcam camshaft, solid lifters

I have made a little video of my starting problems. When the bus is cold it starts like this and I can only keep it running by working the throttle. After about 1 or 2 minutes it will idle just fine.

This is a rebuilt engine, pretty much everything is new except the EFI components. Before installing I tested both the auxilary air regulator and the thermo time switch ok. Only thing I didn't test is the cold start valve. The AAR adjustment was set to full open when cold, maybe this is a problem... I also checked the vacuum lines by spraying some starting gas on them, no leaks found.

I guess it would be weird if the CSV is causing this since it should stop after a couple of seconds if it was. Other option would be that the CSV never stops injecting fuel...

Maybe it's something totally different, I hope you can give me some pointers by watching the video. The engine has about 150 miles on it now and this problem started at the fourth startup, first three startups were just fine. Quite odd...

Startup when cold, engine stalls after a while, restarts, kept the rpm's a little higher on the next run.

Link

Thanks in advance for any help
2010: Amsterdam - Cape Town - FIFA World Cup -- 26.000km
2014: New York - Rio de Janeiro - FIFA World Cup -- 27.000km
http://www.oranjetrophy.nl
Camper Special Club Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fukengruvenoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would still be vacuum leak... Is the crankcase breather hose hooked up? Is the brake booster hose connected? Is the brake booster leaking? Did you block off the EGR connection? Is that leaking? Is your throttle body tight agains the manifold? These are all areas I still had leaks, despite being very careful when installing my FI. It seems to me the system is losing air somewhere after the AFM, preventing a proper idle.

Having the AAR wide open is good. That should give you a nice, fast idle at start up.

What is your timing set at? The engine seems to be struggling, I wonder if the timing is too retarded?

Perhaps you can post a picture of the engine, up close, in case there is anything obvious missing...
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crankcase breather is hooked up, brake booster is connected, didn't test the connection for leaks though. Booster could be leaking, but unlikely since it works fine and didn't cause problems on the old engine. I made a blockoff plate for the EGR system and used a new gasket for a good seal. Throttle body also has a new rubber seal and should be tight.

Timing is set to 28 deg. BTDC @ 3500 rpm.

I don't have a "top view" picture of the engine installed. I installed all the hoses per Ratwell's vacuum article, so all should be in place. I did make one modification to the system though...
Since the Mallory does not need vacuum advance I connected the throttle body's vacuum connection to the air box vacuum connection directly, without the T that would normally go to the dizzy. Could this be a problem?
fukengruvenoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can suggest is you check everything again, very carefully. There are an amazing number of connections that need to be tight and not leaking to get a smooth engine. Are the connections to the S-boot tight? Have you checked the S-boot for cracks?

Are your intake runners torqued to the heads properly?

Eliminating the "T" for the vacuum advance shouldn't be a problem.
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intake runners are torqued to spec. The S boot could be a problem, I had 3 boots and picked the best one. It didn't show cracks when bending it back and forth a little. I didn't do a leak test on it though.

I'll bury my head in the engine bay for a while and go over all these connections again and see if I can find anything.

Thanks for the pointers!

Oh, btw, the engine makes a kind of hissing sound which you can clearly hear before it stalls at around 26 sec. Is this a normal sound?
barryben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks and sounds exactly like the problem I had with a split AAR L boot. AAR itself was fine, just the boot was split at the end where it connects to the AAR and wouldn't hold a vacuum. After 3-4 minutes or so (when the AAR closes off) the engine would run much better.

Now replaced boot (German Supply) - all is well Cool

RE: the hissing sound - I think someone's mentioned that before on here, it sounds like it's the air being dispersed through the plenum, nothing to worry about.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think it is a leak. tight engine maybe and to me it sounds like it could be running rich at idle but it cleans up off idle. i have had injected engines that needed a small hole in the throttle plate to idle well. some original plates had holes in them, i've swapped out a holed plate and solved this in the past.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since the Mallory does not need vacuum advance I connected the throttle body's vacuum connection to the air box vacuum connection directly, without the T that would normally go to the dizzy. Could this be a problem?

Just a thought - how did you connect your fuel pressure regulator?

1963 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bursch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
i don't think it is a leak. tight engine maybe and to me it sounds like it could be running rich at idle but it cleans up off idle. i have had injected engines that needed a small hole in the throttle plate to idle well. some original plates had holes in them, i've swapped out a holed plate and solved this in the past.
Interesting thing is that on the first three runs after rebuild, including the break-in, this problem did not occur.

With throttle, be it 1000rpm or 3000rpm, things still don't sound/run right, as you can see in the second part of the vid