Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WOW.... I can't believe VW is making one of these...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
phaeton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Evans wrote:
If this thing is a joint venture with a Toyota Hilux maybe some of the Toyota is under the hood? If so, it is bound to be a great vehicle.

This vehicle is 100% VW no Toyota parts at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
George Evans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's unfortunate.
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that people keep making cars too high in the air.
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phaeton wrote:
BryanM wrote:
clem73 wrote:
I hate my Chevy truck, I'd look into buying a vw truck. Just about anything would be better than a truck that turns like a sled and handles like a bag of milk! Laughing

Just buy a Toyota, thats all it is.

No its 100% VW developed by the Commercial Division Wink
maintained primarily by their owners. Good Luck VW.

The VW trucks that were available several years ago were rebadged Toyotas. Either way I would still buy a Toyota over a new VW any day, My last 2 Passats and VW's piss poor service taught me that lesson.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buickgnx88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be offered with a stick, solid rear axle, and has tough looks. I'd say it's full of win!
Frankie Pintado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes they are building this pick up for South America, South Africa, Australia, Europe and ASEAN markets.

The vehicle will have similar towing capacity to the Touareg and a one tonne payload accross the range.
I think it will surprise a few folk with its 4x4 potential.

If it costs as much as a tuareg, you won't see too many people off-roading them.

Quote:
It appears to be offered with a stick, solid rear axle, and has tough looks. I'd say it's full of win!

I'm guessing you're one of those people who doesn't really need a truck.
Tough looks? Tough looks is a 3/4+ ton diesel. As a tool on a farm or for a contractor that thing looks as useless as tits on a bull (kind of like the tuareg). Is it offered with a full sized bed? I'd say it's full of groceries!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buickgnx88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie Pintado wrote:

I'm guessing you're one of those people who doesn't really need a truck.
Tough looks? Tough looks is a 3/4+ ton diesel. As a tool on a farm or for a contractor that thing looks as useless as tits on a bull (kind of like the tuareg). Is it offered with a full sized bed? I'd say it's full of groceries!

Haha it's true that I don't need an actual truck since I'm in school. I do love the good full-sized truck (preferable to the 70's-80's Chevy trucks). I agree that for what a portion of truck owners use their vehicle for, it wouldn't be a good choice. But to someone who wants a sporty pickup, then it would be a cool vehicle to look at.

Proud member of the Twin Cities VW Club!
Frankie Pintado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning: I am about to preach some more. Nothing personal.
buickgnx88 wrote:

Haha it's true that I don't need an actual truck since I'm in school. I do love the good full-sized truck (preferable to the 70's-80's Chevy trucks). I agree that for what a portion of truck owners use their vehicle for, it wouldn't be a good choice. But to someone who wants a sporty pickup, then it would be a cool vehicle to look at.

And that's how to waste a lot of gas metal and rubber. Maybe VW will design a pretty pink sledge hammer so I can lug it around and look suave. A 'portion' of truck owners buy trucks and drive them like they were civics. "Truck owners" are the people who buy a truck because they have work that needs to be done, and it is the required tool. Hence the consistently best selling F150 (for cheapness and heavy duty and simplicity) and the Tacoma/Hilux (for extreme durability and longevity). They didn't decide to buy a truck, they had to, and when that truck dies they're gonna have to fix it, buy another, or lose they're livelihood.
I'm very much against people driving inefficient vehicles for no good reason. yeah I know it's stylish to pull up to the valet in your battleship. If it's sportiness you seek, buy a sports car and pass every truck on the road. Isn't this part of America's issue with fuel prices, carbon emissions, worldwide image etc.?
I want a Saviero. That's useful and efficient for people like me who don't need to tow anything or off road. I just need to carry tools and materials. I currently use an '87 nissan pickup, which is not as efficient as a Caddy and can really keep you on your toes on slick roads (no weight over the driven wheels). Why don't they import that Saviero to the U.S.?

I'm sure you've all had enough of my opinions, I'm gonna try to control myself and not post any more on this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathBus wrote:
If it came in a TDI and 4x4 Id buy it, if the quality was there. I wonder if they will build it at their new American plant?

Ever since being infected by the GM turned VW coporate executive the virus makes it impossible to even think the word. They are riding on the high off easy money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55reasons
Samba Swamp Cooler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW CrossFox is something they should pursue in North America.

I see them driving around all over here, and they are actually practical.

Same kind of concept as the Toyota Matrix...

It's cool to get off the Continent and see what people buy when they have a choice rather than what is forced down their throat.

It's also funny to see Mercedes in the same class as GM only opposite interpretation. They look at the Chevy I have on loan until my Toyota shows up and treat it like 5o Cent's Hummer. They kick people out of parking spaces to get me to park there, start cleaning the wheels before it even stops rolling etc.. It's actually pretty funny.. A Mercedes on the other hand is about as common and as exciting as a new Malibu.

VW really does have a market and a product, they just can't bring them together in the US. It's a shame.

Oh yeah, and on the HiLux note... Coming from a die-hard Toyota fan, the new HiLux is bad ass. Especially in Diesel form. That's another thing they really need to send to N.A..
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I sell only brand new Ultima Edition Sedans in the US, but 2 months ago I sold a brand new VW Pick up in TX.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busfreak_71
Flat 4 Junkie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I'd totally roll one of those. Any idea if they are available in Canada? Next time I'm at the dealer, I should check.
'85 Mercedes 300SD

Resident Off-Grid hippie and diesel advocate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: