Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Putting the Bus to Work
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

How to lower a bus properly: 800 pounds of hardwood.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I stalled in a parking lot for the first time in half a decade... Razz I went to let the clutch out with no gas like I always do and Buddy was havin NONE of that. Then my shift points were all whacked out when I went for my classic 30mph 3-4 fuel saver....

The ride is remarkably indifferent to the extra weight of all the lumber and a passenger. Fascinating stuff, these cars.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

Hardwood? You'd sure go go broke buying dimensional oak in those sizes. Sure looks like pine/fir to me.

But back on point, the cargo & weight capacity of these 50/60 year old low powered economy cars continues to impress me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

Pine is for the Fjords, not VW.

When we did our deck in mahogany, the wood was worth more than the car.....

What project are you up to, Robbie? Setting deck height?

(Lying in bed in a fentanyl haze after making sure I don't have to tell 7 ladies I'm going to die of a stupid, preventable disease...every 10 after age 50)
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

It's easier to type "hardwood" on my phone than "pine that is so damn water-logged I can't lift a 4x4 by myself." Seriously, I have dealt with rosewood and cocobolo that is less dense than this garbage. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
It's easier to type "hardwood" on my phone than "pine that is so damn water-logged I can't lift a 4x4 by myself." Seriously, I have dealt with rosewood and cocobolo that is less dense than this garbage. Wink

That's not water, it's Chromated Copper Arsenic.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Not talking about the pressure-treated stuff, just the green sloppy warped shit that HD sells us for too much cash....
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Not talking about the pressure-treated stuff, just the green sloppy warped shit that HD sells us for too much cash....

As a former supervisor of HD lumber department, I'll pretend I didn't read that comment, Robbie.
Nice quality wood is hard to come by. Shame really.
Don't dog them too much, they help fuel my VW obsession.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

All of the vending stuff from my wife's booth at the Pagosa Springs 4th of July Festival.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
sdavidg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

Bringing back a 83' Honda ATC to tinker with a few weeks back Wink loading it was a pain with no ramps but the folded down gates helped. Need to get a hold of a trifold ramp Confused

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

^^^Yea, good to the '68 SC!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

Been quite awhile since I've seen an ATC! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sdavidg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

They are a blast to drive, and built like tanks. This model has the ability to reverse and makes life that much sweeter. Very Happy
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

sdavidg wrote:
They are a blast to drive, and built like tanks. This model has the ability to reverse and makes life that much sweeter. Very Happy

Looks like a "Big Red".
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
How to lower a bus properly: 800 pounds of hardwood.

I stalled in a parking lot for the first time in half a decade... Razz I went to let the clutch out with no gas like I always do and Buddy was havin NONE of that. Then my shift points were all whacked out when I went for my classic 30mph 3-4 fuel saver....

The ride is remarkably indifferent to the extra weight of all the lumber and a passenger. Fascinating stuff, these cars.
Robbie
I tossed about the same amount on to my pop top and tied it down last summer, other than a little more body roll, I hardly knew it was there. The 12 ft. 4x4s wouldn't have fit inside too well. Looks more like 2 or 3 hundred pounds of pine you have there..... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

We had a couple ATCs when I was working in the Arctic. So much fun. There was a larger workhorse Yamaha(?) that pulled our trailer and a smaller Honda. I used to see how far I could get the back inside wheel off the ground when cornering the Honda. Laughing I somehow managed to come home unscathed, one of the professors didn't though. He flipped the machine and trailer onto himself after forgetting about a shallow drainage ditch across the road. He made it but it was a tad touch and go for a while. Good thing, because we were a 4+ hour Twin Otter ride from Inuvik. He was doofus, so it kinda served him right. Twisted Evil

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

High up in the best buy ever category for me for lumber hauling

$250 1500# rated Harbor Freight trailer. Mine is 10 years old now. You load up at Lowes, it's low and easy, you don't worry about scratching it, you deliver it to job site and then unhook and can go to work,

I picked up A free boat that had no trailer once since no one else could move it.

We haul four kayaks down to the river , without top loading

I haul my packing scrap to the metal shop for money instead of paying for disposal.

My lawyer forbids me from telling you we have tested it to 2x its rating with flagstones

I do local moving jobs gratis around town..someone gives away a basketball hoop , I move it for them.

They make one now that stands up in the garage. I know you guys in CA are tight in space
RocketA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
(Lying in bed in a fentanyl haze after making sure I don't have to tell 7 ladies I'm going to die of a stupid, preventable disease...every 10 after age 50)

Everything okay?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

RocketA wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Everything okay?

He's OK. Just spends to much time flying around breathing in recycled air and sleeping in countries that make EMPI products with piss poor air quality. And he's worried about American pine lumber Shocked Just messing Abscate. You the best Very Happy

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

RocketA wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Everything okay?

Borescope inspection of the rear cylinder for cylinder wall defects

All good, until I slipped in fresh dog poo, twisted my knee, and landed in it yesterday. That's worse than reading one of Robbie's posts. Well, some of them.
jvm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Putting the Bus to Work Reply with quote

Being retired, the SC likes to spend time in the garden Smile

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: