Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

auto transmission pan gasket and transmission cooler options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Hiram, the "cooler" is just held on tothe tranny via Banjo bolts. the seals are orings between cooler/tranny and cooler bolt head. you pretty much have to drop the nose of the tranny down off the frame to access (easier than it sounds) undo the banjo, bolts, pull cooler loose from tranny and replace orings and reinstall.

Are these vanagon-specific o-rings that I need to order or will my local FLAPS have the equivalent in stock if I take my old ones in for comparison??

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiram6 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Hiram, the "cooler" is just held on tothe tranny via Banjo bolts. the seals are orings between cooler/tranny and cooler bolt head. you pretty much have to drop the nose of the tranny down off the frame to access (easier than it sounds) undo the banjo, bolts, pull cooler loose from tranny and replace orings and reinstall.

Are these vanagon-specific o-rings that I need to order or will my local FLAPS have the equivalent in stock if I take my old ones in for comparison??

Thats something that I wish I could remember from when I did my tranny swap! Seems like I may have ordered the o-rings from van-cafe, but that was just because I was placing an order. They don't look like anything special though. My spare/bad tranny is at the back of the shed at the bottom of the pile, I do need to get in there to dig out some parts and make room for some new minibikes I just got. If I can get to it withought breaking my neck I'll pull a bolt out and see if I can get a measurment for you.
hatchb4ck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread showed up at the right time for me as I just received my service kit from Van-Cafe and have been working some other issues prior to installing it. At the time of install I also plan to replace the stock cooler it with an external one, similar to Broseph's parts (Thanks for the list of parts by the way!!).

Thanks for this thread as it gives me some things to watch out for when performing this maintenance.

hatchb4ck

www.josephpugh.com
camp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Cooler Hose size question... Reply with quote

I just received a EMPI 11X11" 96 plate cooler and am in the process of getting my parts and fittings together... to put on my 1990 Vanagon GL...A/T
I have a radiator fan from a passat part out that I plan to mount above the cooler.
Took spare pan over to the machine shop to have a weld in adaptor for sending unit for the temp gage...

So... I am wondering if I should use a -6AN or even a -4AN hose instead of a -8AN hose for the cooler...

My question is...
By using a large size and flow hose, will that lower the pressure of the fluid going through the tranny...?
If so, could some areas of the tranny that need it have correct pressure to function properly?

I know a lot of you guys go with the larger hose but, maybe some of you A/T experts can help me solve this question...
Thanks... Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camp wrote:
I just received a EMPI 11X11" 96 plate cooler and am in the process of getting my parts and fittings together... to put on my 1990 Vanagon GL...A/T
I have a radiator fan from a passat part out that I plan to mount above the cooler.
Took spare pan over to the machine shop to have a weld in adaptor for sending unit for the temp gage...

So... I am wondering if I should use a -6AN or even a -4AN hose instead of a -8AN hose for the cooler...

My question is...
By using a large size and flow hose, will that lower the pressure of the fluid going through the tranny...?
If so, could some areas of the tranny that need it have correct pressure to function properly?

I know a lot of you guys go with the larger hose but, maybe some of you A/T experts can help me solve this question...
Thanks... Question

I guess I should know this, but what is this -6AN measurement? The smallcar kit comes with 3/8" hose. I had issues with the brass radiator/hose adapter they included and broke the radiator during my install so I bought one on ebay that has 3/8" barbs already on it. I was pretty pissed, but they offered to sell me another at 1/2 price (or free if their distributor warrantied it) which was cool of them. They seem like a stand-up company, and it looks like it was my fault for not realizing the parts are supposed to not thread together very far at all.

The one i got on ebay was about $65 shipped: Long Tru-Cool, Low Pressure Drop Oil Cooler, (OC-4542-4). Don't know yet if this is ideal but should work. Long is the same manufacturer that comes with the smallcar kit but this radiator is the "pressure drop" one. Neat...?

Last edited by jwallis on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Milfordite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed a Go Westy trans cooler on my 90 Westy. It went in really easy, no problems. The reason I chose their kit is because of the thermostat included with the kit. For you guys and gals in the West or Southwest, it may not be important, but here in the Midwest I think it is vital. It operates on the same principal as the factory cooler, but I don't have to worry about mixing water and oil and it gives the trans a bit more fluid capacity, not a bad thing. I found all the pieces that their kit has, and could have bought the parts and did it myself, but the small savings wasn't worth the hassle.
maryloucb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an older thread, but I have a gasket leak on my 85 Wolfsburg Weekender (it happened after PO changed the ATF) and I am getting ready to replace the gasket (it is a pretty significant leak.) I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice--I'm a total newbie and a little intimidated by the whole process. Is there a way to drain out the fluid before I remove the pan so I don't get a AFT bath? Also, I don't have a garage, so I will be doing this in a dirt/gravel parking lot--do I need to worry about dust getting in there? And lastly, do most of you jack your vehicles up, or just crawl on under there? I don't have a floor jack yet, so I was just going to put a big piece of cardboard under there and crawl on in.

Thanks for any help!
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good noob project. It can be difficult to get the gasket correctly positioned so just keep trying. There is nothing technically difficult about it. The torque spec on the bolts is pretty low (14 lb-ft?) So don't over tighten.

I'm not skinny enough to get under there without jacking up the van but go ahead and try. When you disconnect the filler tube the fluid will drain from there.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
James 93SLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maryloucb wrote:
Is there a way to drain out the fluid before I remove the pan so I don't get a AFT bath? Also, I don't have a garage, so I will be doing this in a dirt/gravel parking lot--do I need to worry about dust getting in there? And lastly, do most of you jack your vehicles up, or just crawl on under there? I don't have a floor jack yet, so I was just going to put a big piece of cardboard under there and crawl on in.

Thanks for any help!

You can un-thread the dipstick tube where it enters the side of the pan and drain the fluid. Honestly if you are careful, there is no problem just dropping the pan to drain. Just undo all the bolts except one corner and let the pan droop at the opposite corner. Use a decent size drain pan.

Lay on a big piece of cardboard. Don't go kicking the gravel around and you won't have a dust problem.

I like ramps. Inexpensive and much safer than a floor jack without jack stands.
-------------------------
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/slc.corrado
--------------------------------------------------------
tencentlife "Sometimes a pooka is a problem and sometimes it's just a pooka"
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last AT van that I did this to gave me all kinds of hassles. I replaced the pan with a new gasket 3 or 4 times and it kept leaking. I finally broke down and replaced the gasket with ultra grey ATV and a few weeks later a pin hole leak developed right in the middle of the pan due to rust. ...

I replaced it without another pan, again using the Ultra Grey ATV and it has held up since.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maryloucb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips everyone. I have been thinking about getting ramps since I don't have a lot of space for storage and they seem easier for someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

What is this ultra grey atv that you speak of?
heynanc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Tranny cooler on an 82 vanagon? Reply with quote

Hi All,
You seem to be the folks to ask - IS there a transmission cooler on the 82 vanagon?

I notice everyone here seems to have bought later models. Well, I have what I have. An 82. I'm going KEG 2.2 Subaru legacy swap eventually.

Words of wisdom re: the transmission?

thanks!
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tranny cooler on an 82 vanagon? Reply with quote

ramps are awesome.

heynanc wrote:
Hi All,
You seem to be the folks to ask - IS there a transmission cooler on the 82 vanagon?

I would guess it does. If you can slide under there it's pretty easy to see if the cooler http://www.van-cafe.com/shop/images/087.409.061C.jpg is on there.

This is a pretty good beginner project. draining the trans fluid at the dipstick screw is very easy. These are great for projects like this: http://www.amazon.com/AMPRO-T70564-Piece-Pinch-Pliers/dp/B00A8FNQ44 You will probably have to buy 2 sets though since a set comes with 2 sizes. Use them on 1-2 jobs and you'll agree they're worth it.

As a follow up to my own post
jwallis wrote:

The one i got on ebay was about $65 shipped: Long Tru-Cool, Low Pressure Drop Oil Cooler, (OC-4542-4). Don't know yet if this is ideal but should work. Long is the same manufacturer that comes with the smallcar kit but this radiator is the "pressure drop" one. Neat...?

This thing has functioned fine. I've put about 15k miles from texas to cali and back.

maryloucb wrote:
What is this ultra grey atv that you speak of?

search "grey rtv sealant"
a lot of guys like the stuff and successfully use it on jobs you really shouldn't. i am into adhesives but haven't used it much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heynanc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: THANKS Reply with quote

Hey All,

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your great input and suggestions!

My Westy is sort of side tracked by a new foreclosure house (well, gutted), which will hopefully let me sell the mortgaged one and then have more money for my important things, like the VW!!!!

I am going to get the Bentley! Fear not! And using the search? Well, I'm catching on to that as well.

Again, so many thanks!

Nancy
1984 Westfailia Vanagon EJ22 “ Guinness”
2006 Dodge Sprinter (long/tall)
2006 Winnebago View (in case the buses aren’t cooperating)
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to have you in the club : ). working on the vanagon can be really fun, and this site has an amazing amount of information. soon you'll be giving people tips!

I suggest you search something like "first things to do to your van" which include the famous "replacing the fuel lines" job (and buying a fire extinguisher anyway). gowesty has kits for everything which takes the guesswork out of a lot of jobs, almost feels like cheating sometimes.
heynanc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: First things Reply with quote

Hi and again, THanks,

You know, I came across a site (it may be a subsection of this site - I just bookmark everything as a "favorite" v. relying on my memory) of "been there, done that" and one of its topics was things to do to your new old van, just like you said.

Somewhere early on, it might have been a GoWesty article, but I failed to book mark it, was an article on cleaning the interior top of the pop up. Without destroying it.

I'm open to suggestions on that too! It may not run, but I can still clean it!

Nancy
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that one bookmarked too, probably a good list for any used vehicle purchase if you didn't get records from PO (previous owner). I paid 4k for my van, and am now in it for around 12k total. sucks, but i keep a record of everything i do and take a picture of every receipt (and put in a folder on my computer) in case i ever sell it, hopefully i'll recoup some of that.

http://www.vanagonauts.com/Things-to-do-for-new-vanagon-owners150.htm
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here's a post Ben made about things to do to for a new owner. He seems a little overly cautious sometimes, but vans don't run on smiles and optimism so I'd never fault him for being so.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457174&highlight=replace+coolant+ben
heynanc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Advice I was given Reply with quote

Well, first of all, you must remember that you have the really cool side opening pop top. Something I didn't know existed until I joined the VW cult.

I have rebuilt a scotty trailer (1971), and I have gone to several vintage trailer rallies. One man I met at one also had the hobby of redoing old cars. He said that one time he kept every receipt, and tallied it all up at the end. And he said it took all of the fun out of it. So he never did that again. He suggested to me that I not do it.

But I'm barely organized enough to take pictures as I go : )

Nancy
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Advice I was given Reply with quote

heynanc wrote:
he said it took all of the fun out of it

that literally made me lol.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: