Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Towing with a Bus?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bamaflyfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Towing with a Bus? Reply with quote

I am brand new to the Bus world and I am currently looking at a couple.

My question is:

Can I pull:

1. A lightweight fishing boat (talking 60's model alumicraft)

2. Lightweight Scamp or Casita camper or even a popup camper?

Thanks,

Bama
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing with a Bus? Reply with quote

bamaflyfisher wrote:
I am brand new to the Bus world and I am currently looking at a couple.

My question is:

Can I pull:

1. A lightweight fishing boat (talking 60's model alumicraft)

2. Lightweight Scamp or Casita camper or even a popup camper?

Thanks,

Bama

The Scamp or Casita might be too heavy. A small popup is do-able. Also, there are some hardshell campers lighter than Scamps and Casitas. Google "Puck travel trailer". You can probably pull a very lightweight fishing boat.

Here's a suggestion for you. Around 1972 (not sure of exact date, but someone will chime in) they started putting in Type IV engines in buses, which were alot beefier than their forerunners. They put out 66 or more horsepower compared to about 50 or less for the earlier engines.

You might also want to look at Westys (Westfalias) buses or similar. There's a photo of my Westy, which is a real piece of crap, on my avatar (to the left). They have popup roofs with bunks, and miniature kitchens. From 1974 and later, the bed size up top changed from a single to a double, which is handy even if you're camping alone because you can use the bed for camping, and the lower area for living space. Regardless of whether your top pops up or not, if you sleep in your bus, you don't need to pull a travel trailer, so that allows you to pull a boat. Eventually, I plan to get a boat myself. I'm thinking it would be cool to get a small two-man sailboat that I can carry to the water (with help from the family). Another reason to look at Westy's is that most of them have trailer hitches.

Steve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bamaflyfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve,

Saw a westy today with a hitch!

I have my eye on a 72 model and I am currently waiting on an email from a guy....playing the waiting game....
bamaflyfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump......anyone else with some info?
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

search function is your friend

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287688&highlight=towing+boat
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251277&highlight=towing+boat
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246441&highlight=towing+boat
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187827&highlight=towing+boat
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187826&highlight=towing+boat
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67110&highlight=towing+boat
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50865&highlight=towing+boat
orangesuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what year is your bus. check out the technical tab up top and go to manuals. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/stoermer/70ownmanpage57.jpg stock 1970 is rated to pull 1100 lb trailer with no brakes, if you have a later bay with a Type 4 its probably rated a lot higher
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pulled a 1968 Aluminacraft 18' fishing boat for years and years with our 1971 Deluxe and 5 people riding inside the van. I wouldn't recommend pulling it up any mountains and it's quite the eye opener in a stiff cross breeze, but it wasn't too hard to drive. Just keep the RPMs up above 2500 and give yourself plenty of time to slow down.
'74 Super Beetle Convertible (Sold)
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search for jaime rivers and his 2" receiver hitch, or look at his site below. There have been a lot of satisfied customers here, not least of whom is me! The hitch is strong, very well made, bolts right up under the bumper to the frame, and cost something like 200 bucks all up.

Great deal, and if you get any bus, see if he has a hitch for you.

http://www.globalserve.net/~jrivers/latebayhitch.htm

1977 2.0 FI Westy
2011 1200cc Yamaha Super Tenere
1976 Feet (they work surprisingly well)
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more concerned with stopping power than torque. You'll get there eventually with a '69 towing, but once you get there you might not be able to stop!
reasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
I'd be more concerned with stopping power than torque. You'll get there eventually with a '69 towing, but once you get there you might not be able to stop!

For around $300 you can put brakes on most any trailer.
RZAR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those eriba pucks are cool. do they sell them here in the states. I looked on their international website but there was no tab for the US.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The later busses have power disk brakes.
And a bigger 2-liter motor...

What’s That Noise?!?
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Towing with a Bus? Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
The later busses have power disk brakes.
And a bigger 2-liter motor...

reasley wrote:
ccpalmer wrote:

For around $300 you can put brakes on most any trailer.

It's not the brakes which stop the vehicle, but the friction between the tyres and the road surface, which is why for anything other than a very light trailer, the trailer needs to have its own over-run brakes.

In Great Britain and Europe, the maximum permitted gross weight (i.e. trailer's own weight + its maximum rated payload) of an unbraked trailer, must not exceed 750 kg or half the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, which ever is the smaller.

The maximum permitted gross weight (i.e. trailer's own weight + its maximum rated payload) of an braked trailer, should be no more than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle and preferably no more than about 85% of this.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Towing with a Bus? Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

In Great Britain and Europe....blah, blah, blah...useless information

British towing laws mean little or nothing to this person since they are in Alabama where British law means absolutely zero. I don't understand why you constantly need to answer questions from a person in the US with laws applicable only to Britain. It makes no sense whatsoever, and most certainly isn't helpful to the person asking the question. UK towing laws are just as applicable here as the laws in Zimbabwe or China or Italy, that is, not at all.
nw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to attempt to pull a 15' Serro Scotty travel trailer with my 68 Bus. I attempted it with the stock single port eng.
It would only get up to about 35-40 mph. at best. The weight of the trailer is only about 1500 lbs.
The weight didn't seem to be the problem . The problem seemed to be wind resistance of the trailer. My eng is pretty worn out so I'm getting a new one . I'm going to try a 1915 cc with duel 1bb carbs and a mild cam.
It will be a few months as I am restoring the bus. I will make a post and let you know the out come. When I attempt it.
Norm[/size]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Oldfart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing with a Bus? Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

In Great Britain and Europe....blah, blah, blah...useless information

British towing laws mean little or nothing to this person since they are in Alabama where British law means absolutely zero. I don't understand why you constantly need to answer questions from a person in the US with laws applicable only to Britain. It makes no sense whatsoever, and most certainly isn't helpful to the person asking the question. UK towing laws are just as applicable here as the laws in Zimbabwe or China or Italy, that is, not at all.

WARNING, THIS ANSWER CONTAINS IRONIC SATIRE.

Maybe he was trying to help? A civilised country like England is that far in front of a backward/retarded place like Alabama with traffic laws and vehicle safety that your right, you shouldn't really compare both. Also almost all people round the would are worth a lot more than folks in the southern states of "Amerrycar" so if you wipe out half a dozen hilbilly's it would only equal a cat in England. Your right on you other point too, nobody should try and help you out with suggestions, it's not appreciated.[/b]
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stopping, not pulling, is the weak part, but I don't have trailer brakes.
flateric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Pulling Trailer with 69 experience... Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 1969 Bus and I am currently traveling across country for a about a month now and will continue until 20th of May approximately. I am pulling a 4x6 enclosed trailer. The trailer alone weight 400lb. I do not know exactly how much weight I have in there but I would guess another 300lb. The bus pools it pretty good (stock engine 1600dp, stock brake system 4 drums) and break good too. We had no problem so far pulling this trailer and I travel with it everyday for a month now. You can check pictures of the bus and the trailer on the following website:
http://www.vwtripusa2008.com/

We were pulling a 5x8 at the beginning but it is way too hard for the bus to pull that much. The 4x6 is perfect max fit for the bus.

As for the hitch I had made custom before leaving, it is very strong and removable and looks nice I think.

I hope it was informative enough... Smile
1FUNBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing with a Bus? Reply with quote

Oldfart wrote:
so if you wipe out half a dozen hilbilly's it would only equal a cat in England.

That's funny! I have no ill will against "hillbilly's". That's just plain funny.

Well played my friend! Laughing

71 Beetle, 1776, dual Kadrons
77 Westy, Camper Special 2.0 F.I.
Dufo's Pizza and Auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: UK towing laws Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:

British towing laws mean little or nothing to this person since they are in Alabama where British law means absolutely zero. I don't understand why you constantly need to answer questions from a person in the US with laws applicable only to Britain. It makes no sense whatsoever, and most certainly isn't helpful to the person asking the question.

Just because the "law" part dosen't apply to readers in the U.S., dosen't mean the info isn't valid anyway. The information is a helpful guidline for anyone towing a trailer. It shows that the safety factor is increased when using trailer brakes, and give some ballpark weight limits a reader can use to help determine how heavey a trailer he/she can tow with a given vehicle. Not everyone reading the Samba is from Alabama either. Wink

I have never towed with my Splitty (or any VW for that matter), but from my experience w/ other vehicles and trailers, I think trailer brakes will help alot.

Westy Steve wrote:
The Scamp or Casita might be too heavy. A small popup is do-able.

I had a 13' Scamp that towed much easier than a 14' pop-up behind my Honda. It was really light and the axle placement seemed just about right for proper tounge weight and backing/turning purposes. A nice one will cost about 2x a nice pop-up though. Small light trailer seem to be difficult to come by these days. Crying or Very sad

Will

...'cause it ain't easy bein' cheesy!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: