Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Box Bind?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Steering Box Bind? Reply with quote

I'm not sure if bind is the right word, but when I turn it about 15 degrees to the left or right I can feel the steering hesitate just a tiny bit. It's like it meets a tiny bit of resistance, then gets past it. Imagine rolling a pencil across a surface with a small groove in it...your finger is enough to feel it dip into the groove and then push it back out, but it slows you down just a little.

I haven't had the chance to crawl underneath and look for anything obviously out of place, but I didn't see anything quite the same in searching and would like some idea of what it could be or what I should be looking for.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the steering box might be adjusted just a hair too tight. Is this a recent problem or something that has been around for a while?
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only first noticed it the other day.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Bind? Reply with quote

NorCalRiviera wrote:
I'm not sure if bind is the right word, but when I turn it about 15 degrees to the left or right I can feel the steering hesitate just a tiny bit. It's like it meets a tiny bit of resistance, then gets past it. Imagine rolling a pencil across a surface with a small groove in it...your finger is enough to feel it dip into the groove and then push it back out, but it slows you down just a little.

I haven't had the chance to crawl underneath and look for anything obviously out of place, but I didn't see anything quite the same in searching and would like some idea of what it could be or what I should be looking for.

I have this EXACT same problem, never heard anyone else with it... I adjusted steering box and it helped slightly..... Its hard to explain but I think you hit the nail on the head with the pencil example.......

hope someone can help
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem on my '67. Smile I thought perhaps it was intended to be that way... Embarassed

If for whatever reason, adjusting the steering box doesn't work, what then?

N.

iowegian wrote:
People who are allowed to have signature lines annoy me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I'm glad it's not just me actually. Now...as to what exactly causes it....

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try disconnecting one end of the dampener and see if it's still there. Also put the front up on jackstands and hand turn the wheels and steering wheel individually. Try to watch all the knuckles and feel for the mini-clunk.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dampner. Good idea. I'm going to have the front end up this weekend to fiddle with the brakes, so I'll check for that and anything else then.

NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's a really late update.

Thought it was the dampner...so I replaced it. Then I felt like I could feel the binding spots even more than I did before!

Fast forward to yesterday and I was driving through the Santa Cruz mountains when it started to feel very difficult to turn left. More and more effort was needed. Luckily made it home and put the steering box high on my list of things to work on today.

Planned to check the oil level in and make an adjustment. Got the front end off the ground, cleaned up the box (were they all stamped Ross or do I have a replacement?), removed the plug, and started to fill it. Wound up overfilling it, so I let gravity do its work and wait to put the plug back in.

Now, as I was waiting, I noticed a darker gooey oil come out of the box where the horn wire exits. Should that be happening!?

I have the feeling it might be time for a new box, but I want to get some opinions from the peanut gallery.

rockettdoggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem different box.

I have replaced everything in the front end:
Spindles
Tire Rods & Ends
Drag Link
Center Pin Bushing
Shocks

The only thing left is the damn Steering box.

I drove it after a slight lowering job, Just dropped spindles and 1 notch in the rear. Now the box keeps getting tighter and tighter. I stop by Mikey's house but turning into his street I turn a 90 right and it will not return to straight. WTF?? So I get it down the street to his house and there is not a drop of oil in the box. We fill it up, loosen up the adjuster and it helps a little. Of course on the test drive we still can't turn back from right too well. I manage to limp it home and can only assume it is the steering box because everything else is new/rebuilt.

Any suggesstions or Ideas?
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, FWIW, it did turn out to be my steering box. I got a replacement, but if you do the same DO NOT go through BFY. Pure headaches with those guys.

rockettdoggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will be looking into a used replacement instead of a rebuilt.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockettdoggie wrote:
Thanks for the info. I will be looking into a used replacement instead of a rebuilt.

I haven't heard any complaints about the bus boys/wolfgangs steering boxes.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77ducci
Samba Beer Head

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having the same exact problem on my westy after I lowered it. I noticed when I raised it to look at everything it would be just fine. When I dropped it again the problem would come back. I then looked at the steering arm on the spindle Wink That was the problem the bolt (one of the locking bolt I think) was interfacing with the steering arm. A small amount of grinding and problem fixed. I was thinking it was my steering box for sure as well.
rockettdoggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any more info on this? Picture or maybe a little better explanation? I only installed drop spindles and it got progressively worse through out the day. I am 99% sure it is the box as when I opened it it had no oil, none, not a drop, not even to get my finger a little dirty, nothing. It did improve after I added the oil but I think the damage was done.
77ducci
Samba Beer Head

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the gallery:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRiviera wrote:

Now, as I was waiting, I noticed a darker gooey oil come out of the box where the horn wire exits. Should that be happening!?

You really had to overfill it to get oil out of the horn wire hole. The horn wire goes in a tube at the bottom of the box that goes up through the box for 2 or 3 inches, so you had to fill it enough for the oil level to be over the top of the tube.

Does BFY rebuild their own or do they sell somebody else's rebuilt ones? Like Crofty, I've heard nothing but good on both Bus-Boys and Wolfgang's rebuilds. What kind of problem did you have with BFY?
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFY deals with a third party builder. I have his phone number.

don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of advice : Don't buy steering box from BFY, and I am not the only one that will tell you this.
Look in the Feedback forum and search BFY, there are 13 pages of information (mostly negative)

Here is ONE example why below:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2995795#2995795

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Bind? Reply with quote

Just read this thread.....same thing happened to me on the way to buses and balloons....loosened steering box screw 1/4 turn and perfecto.....
Thanks to Kody @ the camp site for the help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: