Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wideband Results
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
in a bay you are on the main circuit over 40mph for sure.
It's pretty clear that at constant speed:
Idles up to 35 in 3rd or 30mph in 4th
Transition around 30-40mph in 4th, certainly over by 40mph
Mains 40-70 in 4th rock steady 13.5 afr
From 70- 75 in 4th afr leaned to 14.

That's 32 vents, 145 mains.
When I tried 135 as you suggested earlier, I only tried constant speeds up to 50mph, by which time the cht was showing my normal 70mph temps. The heat exchangers were working well though.
As this doesn't seem right, will backing off full advance help? It's nudging over 30. I can easily try it so I will.

Last edited by Zed999 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

what is

idle timing hose on
idle timing hose off
3500 RPM timing hose on
3500 RPM timing hose off?

Also, have you indexed the jets, instead of trusting they are as marked? Very frustrating to go down on a jet and have it run richer.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
what is

idle timing hose on
idle timing hose off
3500 RPM timing hose on
3500 RPM timing hose off?

Also, have you indexed the jets, instead of trusting they are as marked? Very frustrating to go down on a jet and have it run richer.

Idle hose on 7.5
Idle hose off 7.5
3500 hose on 40-ish
3500 hose off 30-31
Ahhh, the penny has dropped, you're saying that from a start point richer than 14.7, if it gets hotter the jets must be bigger, despite their markings. Doh! *

Choosing my words more carefully, I'll try my jets that are marked 140.
I will also order a set of jet drills to use as gauges.
Thanks again for your help, I needed quite a bit of nudging there didn't I. Smile

*Edit: Hang on, that's not right? It must be the 145's that are incorrectly marked, or both.

Last edited by Zed999 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

the engine will run cooler as you move away from 14.7:1, EITHER WAY.

Your timing is good, so move on. Aim for 13:1 on the mains.

For progression, target

16:1 if you want to maximize MPG
13:1 if you do not care about MPG.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
the engine will run cooler as you move away from 14.7:1, EITHER WAY.

Your timing is good, so move on. Aim for 13:1 on the mains.

For progression, target

16:1 if you want to maximize MPG
13:1 if you do not care about MPG.

I do care about mpg. I'm down from 58 to 50 idles ( afr 12 to 13) and still going. This is great even though they're all out at such low driving speeds, every little helps. That's stacks out pumps backed right off rather than disconnected but I had previously disconnected them so I can see when then squirt a bit Smaller idle jets on order.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Ok, re-read my weber tech manual pages again, FINALLY understood it.. if i do something and someone explains it, i catch on fast, but i'm a downright terrible book reader..

Larger main jet + smaller AC should richen everything.. i'm running 55 idles, and tried changing ACs to 170 (only thing i have below 200). No change. AFR still says lean at idle and air when moving. Upped mains from 115 to 130, then to 140. No change on the gauge.

I'm beginning to wonder if my o2 sensor is reading properly.. it's a brand new plx dm6 system.

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

A PLX is pretty fool proof.

What happens when you turn the key on but don't start the engine???

It should default to 14.6 on the DM6 for about 10 to 15 seconds until the self check gets done then it will count up until it goes full LEAN....
Once you start it after that it should read the AFR.
You do not want to let the sensor heat run much before starting the engine due to condensation being able to ruin the sensor.

Let the sensor warm up as the engine is running so you don't shock the sensor.
Make sure you have the sensor mounted in a 10:00 or 2:00 o-clock position to keep it as far away from moisture as possible.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
A PLX is pretty fool proof.

What happens when you turn the key on but don't start the engine???

It should default to 14.6 on the DM6 for about 10 to 15 seconds until the self check gets done then it will count up until it goes full LEAN....
Once you start it after that it should read the AFR.
You do not want to let the sensor heat run much before starting the engine due to condensation being able to ruin the sensor.

Let the sensor warm up as the engine is running so you don't shock the sensor.
Make sure you have the sensor mounted in a 10:00 or 2:00 o-clock position to keep it as far away from moisture as possible.

Maybe that's part of my problem.. I start it up, it sweeps through it's range, says 14.5 for a few seconds, then goes to about 13-15, then when i start moving, it goes to AIR.. and basically bounces between Lean and Air while i'm driving.. Am i not allowing it to warm up enough?

The sensor is at a 9 o'clock position. it's an A-1 header and the bung is located on the forward side of the pipe.

next time i go out, i'll turn the key on and let it sit until it does it's diagnostic sweep. I might be screwing up results by not doing that..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Im sorry if this an obvious answer but, did you calibrate the sensor in free-air correctly?
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Im sorry if this an obvious answer but, did you calibrate the sensor in free-air correctly?

no wories, it's normally obvious problems for me.. I followed the steps in the tiny book that came with the dm6.. but that makes me think of something else.. doe sit retain any calibration? or do you have to take the sensor out and re calibrate it everytime you disconnect your battery?

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:
sled wrote:

no wories, it's normally obvious problems for me.. I followed the steps in the tiny book that came with the dm6.. but that makes me think of something else.. doe sit retain any calibration? or do you have to take the sensor out and re calibrate it everytime you disconnect your battery?

I do not have any experience with your unit in particular, but it takes just a couple minutes to re-calibrate so might as well do so just to make sure.
303epps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

This isn't a question about my wideband results but I hope to get some advice on a starting point to jet my weber IDF's.

What I have is a 79 and 82 series weber, not matched but left and right, the ones with the 5 progression ports. I'm hoping to install them onto a 2017 being finished up for break in. The 2017 has a web 163, Tim's Stage 1 heads, 1.25 rockers on the intakes - 1.1 on the exhaust and an AA 1-1/2" exhaust.

The webers will have 32 mm ventures and 3.5 aux ventures and 1-5/8" velocity stacks. The emulsion tubes are F67.

what's a good starting point for the jetting on this combination?

Thanks,
Eric
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:
sled wrote:

The PLX does not need to be calibrated. It is always correct.

Mine has been flawless for 3 years with the same O2 sensor and it is on all the time. I bet there is almost 20,000 miles on it by now.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Heavy poptop late bay camper.
Type-4
71x 104, 2413cc
Original 2L cam. (Solid refaced followers/european carb cam)
Under 8:1 CR with high deck.
Compression test 165-167psi on all 4.
Bosch SVDA from a 2L, pertronix and "flame thrower" coil. Set at 7.5 idle which gets approx 31-32 total mechanical advance.
Stock original heat exchangers, stock Ernst exhaust.
DRLA40'S
32 vents
.2 emulsions
48 idles
180 airs
145 mains

Stacks out, pumps backed off
Down progressively from 58 to 48 idles.
48s read 14.5 to 17.
The engine is happier than ever, not spluttering and runs higher cht than before which in this case I think is good, it's nowhere near hot, just hotter, it feels better.
So I'll order some 45 idles which I believe are the smallest available. I was hoping at some point to find a jet small enough to make it pop and stumble so I could go back up a size and know for sure I was as lean as possible. Maybe the 45s will do that.

Meanwhile, like a naughty schoolboy, I tried 140 mains but it pinks WOT.
Back to 145s, WOT from1500 to 4500rpm it gets progressively richer from around 14.5 to 10.8. Could this be evened out with different airs?
The tall airs I have are marked 180. A 2mm drill shank checked with a micrometer is much too big to fit through then so if they are drilled it's not by much. I think they're most likely as marked.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

you have too much ignition timing. Try 28 total. Your distributor is giving too much advance, ideally you'd bend the advance stops in to limit the advance more.

Remember per this thread, you may be too rich but have too much timing. Back out the timing and you can lean the main circuit a little more, and it will likely run better.

Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Thanks John, I'll try that. If it's good I'll look into bending the stops. It will tick over with a lot less advance but I guess it won't pull away well?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

normal good timing is around 8-10 BTDC at idle, 28-30 BTDC full advance (no vacuum).

Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Timing set to 28 max. Ticks over around 4 or 5 but happily ticks over.

WOT AFR is a little less spread over the revs. It now starts off around 14 at 2000rpm but still gets to 10.8 by 3500-4000 rpm.

At constant speeds
40mph = 14.0 afr
45mph = 14.5 afr
50mph = 15 afr
55-60mph = 13.1afr yee ha but weird
70mph = back leaner at 14 afr

I do have a lean hole between idles and mains but it's at loads where my idles on their own would have been long over. When I had bigger idles, any constant speed between 40 and 70mph produced 13.5afr.

I like my lean idles in terms of saving fuel but right now I feel I've temporarily ruined the driving experience. It's slower accelerating from any speed/revs and makes more noise doing it. I think my mains always came in late and now I've reduced the idles it's very noticeable. WOT it seems like the mains are only fully working at high revs (3500-4,000) where they are too rich. Constant speed or reasonable acceleration and they're too lean apart from at ,constant 55-60mph for some reason. CHT's are fine, 250-350f max.

I'm resisting the temptation to bung the big idles back in and set the timing back to 30-31 but I seem to be gradually making it drive worse so far!

Bigger airs? With dells I can't completely remove the tall airs as they hold the stack in. If I could I'd try that.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

what throttle position?

Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
what throttle position?

By 70mph about 1/2 to 2/3. 2/3 would be up a gradient.
Could my carbs (throttle butterflies) be too big? The last 1/4 to WOT seems to send it much richer without really adding to the acceleration, though of course it's hard to judge. I rarely if ever actually use it.
At some point it may be helpful to book a session on the rollers? They're generally operated by fairly unknowledgeable people here in the uk for whom vacuum advance for instance is a mystery best tackled by not having it. If, rather than the usual couple of WOT runs, there are better tests I could do e.g. see just how much throttle I need for max power and then find what the extra throttle is actually doing, I'd book a session.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Jump to:
Page 94 of 121

Jump to: