Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wideband Results
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Just ordered a Wideband- AEM 30-4110 Shocked

I've got a Vintage Speed Sport muffler, can't remember if it has bungs in it for O2 sensors or not. I'll check when I get home.

However- how long are the wiring harnesses that the sensor uses on these kits? 7-8 feet or so I'm guessing based off of what I can see? I can't find a straight answer on any of the listings. Will I need to make up or buy an extension to reach the rear on a 73 Super Beetle? I'm likely going to run the gauge in a custom console on the top center of the dash.

This should be interesting. After losing two engines I was really dead set on investing in instrumentation this time around. I'll also be running a VDO oil temp and pressure gauge, and eventually maybe CHT.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Yes they vintage speed muffler has O2 sensor bungs in either end of the muffler. So you get eith the 1-2 or 3-4 reading, unless your meter is compatible with 2 sensors

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

My Vintage Speed has bungs on both ends. I went with a PLX gauge cluster and yeah my O2 sensor only came with a 10 foot cable but the cylinder head temperature sender I used can be ordered with a specific length wire.

I wish I never put gauges in my car. I could be blissfully driving it thinking it’s running great instead of being paranoid all the time. In my case, the car runs great but starts running hot. If I drive it like Granny it stays within a tolerable range but if I drive it like me it runs HOT.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chupa7hingy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

I have been dabbling with a few engine problems in a new 2074 my father in law built for my 65 Notchback. I apologize in advance if this has been discussed somewhere in the 109 pages (I was able to get through the first 25, and last 10 or so) for my posts seeming to be all over the place, but I think I am narrowing down the main culprit, which is these carbs, to a large extent.

Set up is a approx 9:1 compression 2074
Engle 110
AA big valve heads
HPMX dual 40s with 28 vents
approx 2800 ft elevation
timing is set at 27-8 total advance, mechanical advance only

I had been adjusting jetting because I was running hot and my oil temps would keep creeping no matter what kind of driving or ambient temps (hot for me was 240+ and I know the gauge might not be exact, but I'm looking at trends.) Plus, I know its hot because I'm discoloring the SS VS muffler.

After reading John's input on lean cruise, I decided to get an AF gauge (AEM) and I set it up in a box with aux battery, and plugged into the sensor bung on the 1/2 side of the muffler. This is what I'm pulling my hair out about now.

I started with Empi's recommended idle and main of 55 and 145 and the largest air I had was a 185. Way too rich all over, like in the 10s. So I put the stock 52 idles and 135 mains back in and started over. Better, but the leanest it would go was 13.1 on a decel and idle was super rich at 10.5 Shocked

Thought something had to be wrong, so I pulled the tops and checked the floats. They did need adjustment and were set too low. I was excited to find this, hoping I found it, but that didn't change a thing on the follow up drive:
10.5 idle
12 ish cruise (light throttle)
10.5 WOT
13.5 decel.

I am thinking about going down to 50 or even 45 on the idles, but is that too small for a 2074? Am I overlooking something else, like fuel getting in some other way? Idle adjustment seems to be responsive and kills the cylinder. Faulty readings maybe? Valves not adjusted properly and fuel combusting in the exhaust instead of the cylinder?

BTW, my setup
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Idle jet sizing has 0 to do with engine size, and everything to do with manifold vacuum (cam/compression). I'd start with 50s, but you may need 47.5s.

Re-read first 10 pages of this thread.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chupa7hingy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Thank you John. I was going down that path, but got spooked by the seemingly undersized idles compared to others I have seen posted here in relation to the very rich conditions my meter is showing. I actually have a notepad with my notes from the first 10 pages! I am shooting for lean cruising for heat control and a solid 13 for WOT or heavy load, just as you prescribe.

I think my troubleshooting is a little tainted by other symptoms such as running hot (IMO). Timing seems OK, so I've moved on from there (we cooked the last motor because of a faulty mechanical advance that let it go almost 60 degrees advance under certain conditions) so I'm a little gun-shy about heat. But getting the fuel right will likely address this (we thought it WAS right because it seemed to run so good, but obviously not). I have to resist changing more than one thing at a time. Smaller idles and some additional air jets on order. Should I keep the 185 air as a starting point, or should I start with 200s?

A part of me wants to START COMPLETELY OVER with actual Webers... Confused
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Engine temp has almost nothing to do with jetting (if you are rich, like you are). It's a cooling issue. Jetting is a separate issue.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Quote:
Engine temp has almost nothing to do with jetting (if you are rich, like you are). It's a cooling issue. Jetting is a separate issue.

Type 3's with a bigger motor need a separate oil cooler and fan, there are lots of us in the T3 section of the samba who have been through the same thing. Driving around town with my old 1904cc, I could run all day in +30 weather and stay under 220F, but hit the highway for 15-20 minutes and the temps will start to climb. I added the oil cooler and it stays at 200F after it warms up. I tried going richer on the jetting to see if it would make any difference, it didn't.

on my 1968cc with my dells i'm in the 11's on the mains with 130's, I'll need to go down again in the spring when I get to drive it again.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Chupa7hingy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

I was somewhat confused by an earlier post you made (in the first 15 pages or so) about leaning out and retarding the timing to compensate and running cooler. Also about how lean is actually cooler contrary to popular belief due to less to burn (so long as it's out of the danger 13.5-15.5 range). It was intertwined with efficiency and mileage discussion, so I may have conflated the two. Anyway, I have the jets you recommended and will try them out this weekend and report back.

W1K1, thank you. I actually feel like I was lead down the wrong path with this engine setup for the car it's in. Should have either full flowed and ran external coolers, or gone much smaller, like a solid 1776.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Just a thought here, your venturies may be too small causing the main circuit to come on too soon and doubling up the fuel with the idle circuit. I am running 31 vents on a 1911cc engine.

And yes 47 idles are where I ended up.

John will have a better handle on vent size required for your engine.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

combustion temps and EGT are not necessarily directly related to engine temperatures.

And then it depends on which engine temperatures you are referring to. Oil temps are related to oil pressure and RPM.

67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Quick questions.
I have an A1 sidewinder exhaust with bung welded at the end where all primaries merge before the v-band clamp (before the exhaust)
What would be my best option to assist in tuning my brand new engine?
I would think it would help to tune it OUTSIDE the car on a stand?
The bung is located on the opposite side as the round A1 “badge” (it’s not pictured here)

1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

My opinion is that all you can really tune on the bench is the idle. You need to tune the rest under load.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

there is very little if ANY tuning that can be done accurately with the engine on a stand. Some folks tune using a dyno (under load) but this still does not simulate real world driving.

if you really want to tune your engine accurately, you will need an O2 sensor/AFR gauge and drive it on the street.

breaking in the cam/lifters can be done on a stand, but not much else.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Ok appreciate it.
So what gauges should I be looking at? Aem for a/f and ? For O2?
Hmmmm, reading reviews on the AEM. Most say it’s doa and support sucks.
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok appreciate it.
So what gauges should I be looking at? Aem for a/f and ? For O2?
Hmmmm, reading reviews on the AEM. Most say it’s doa and support sucks.

I would look for something that you can log the AFR readings instead of just a gauge. It's really hard to stare at a gauge and see what its doing while driving.

I have an old LM2 that I use, take the car out , warm it up , find a hill, or long stretch, push the button to record, repeat . Then I go home pop the SD card into the computer and look at the graphs and make notes for future reference.

like so

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Well, my order for the wideband got nuked by eBay support for potential fraud on the seller's side and the item is no longer listed Confused I got a full refund at least.

Any suggestions on an affordable quality wideband other than the UEGO AEM unit? The more I'm reading on them the more it seems like they seem to go through O2 sensors more than I'd like.

Are the Innovate DB series or MTX-L series a good option?

Seems all of these are very similar in cost, so I guess it comes down to features and how easy they are to see. I'm leaning towards a DB red so it's not too distracting at night. I see the MTX-L has the ticker along the edge of the face for at a glance ease of reading.

California gas has 10% ethanol so I'll be using it in lambda mode.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!

Last edited by Lingwendil on Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

go with the Innovative, and their data logger. I have the PLX for AFR and have had several issues with it. I have the Innovative for egt and it is spot on.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

I have a PLX with DM-6 gauge and it's been flawless for 6 1/2 years and 36,000 miles.
I have it installed all the time and it's still on the original O2 sensor.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Yeah I’m with Ling. I had an OLD uego and went through 2 or 3 O2 sensors. It appears that MANY of the reviews state doa units and no service support.
That’s not what I want after spending $170 on the aem.
The data log idea is nice. It’s hard to tune to a gauge that’s jumping around at different rpm’s. Isn’t the wideband supposed to alleviate the led’s jumping around soo much?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Jump to:
Page 109 of 121

Jump to: