Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock Steering column or ? for clone w/3" lift
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Stock Steering column or ? for clone w/3" lift Reply with quote

I have a manx clone with a 3" lift kit. I'm down to putting the steering column together and cutting a hole in the firewall. I have a stock early bug column with all the fittings. Since I have a 3" lift, the column will have to be supported by an as yet to be built rollcage crossbar. Column used to go thru a hole in the bottom of the dash for support, but since that is now 3" higher with the lift kit, I've glassed it over. I am not putting turnsignals on the steering column.

My question is this: Should I bother with the stock column, or run a simple steering shaft? I'm using more or less stock components on the beam (stock steering box,etc.). If I do this, does anyone have suggestions for a weather/dust seal for where the column comes thru the firewall?

I'm just starting to noodle on this one. Any suggestions or pictures would be welcome.
Zcarnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a 2 1/2" lift on mine and used a early style column/shaft with the berrien buggy column mount kit (which works great BTW).My "old" column hole through the dash was pretty low anyway.I just cut out the bottom of it so the column would fit right and had to adjust the steering box a tad for the angle.
If you already have a complete coulmn,I'd prob just use it.

I didnt bother sealing my "firewall",but the hole is semi snug as is.
Maybe a rubber boot of some sort?
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't have any sealing issues with a stock shaft and the tube in runs in...an original firewall seal from a bug will work. I'm just wondering if since I am not going to hang turn signals on the column if it is worth it to use 40+ year old hardware, or just buy a simple shaft, which of course, might create other issues, such as the one I mentioned about dust seals.

I'll still hang or otherwise support the stock column from the crossbar I build on the windsheild hoop of the rollcage. I'll put it all together this weekend and see what I've got to deal with.
Zcarnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used the 40ish year old 3 wire turn signal switch.Simple and looks good.
And now that I thought about it,I used the stock bug seal too.
I say if the length is good for you,stick with it.If you have to modify the column,might be better to put a "sandrail" type setup on it.
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a custom column from an aftermarket shaft that ran in the stock location out to through the body where I welded in a spline from a VW adapter, threw a double jointed Kia shaft in to the stock box. Works great. Drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a picture.
JiI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jil,
I've pm'ed you my email address for the pics. Zcarnut, I've sat in the car since I mounted the seats, and the stock location would have me driving this thing like you'd see those guys on Harleys with "ape hangers". Is the berrien buggy kit that one that hangs from the fiberglass just inside the fenders? I think I've seen a picture of it posted here somewhere....
Zcarnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thats it. if your planning on incorporating a column support with your roll cage then its not nessesary of course.
You can make one easily enough.Just make a straight bar with ends angled to bolt into both sides of the tub.Me and a friend did for another buggy.I bought the one from Berrien because it went in easy and didnt require any fab work.I dont weld.
Ive read from other people here about using other makers column piece or parts of a Super Beetle column with a u joint (like jiI by the sound of it).Depending on how yours is set up that may be a option.
Like I said with mine,a relocation of a few holes in the "firewall" and hood/dash along with moving the steering box angle is all mine needed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Zcarnut on Fri May 02, 2008 6:23 am; edited 3 times in total
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
Jil,
I've pm'ed you my email address for the pics. Zcarnut, I've sat in the car since I mounted the seats, and the stock location would have me driving this thing like you'd see those guys on Harleys with "ape hangers". Is the berrien buggy kit that one that hangs from the fiberglass just inside the fenders? I think I've seen a picture of it posted here somewhere....

Got it. I'll mail the pics to you soon!
JiI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I got next to my stock column last night and made sure I had all the pieces. I think it will work just fine.

It appears there is a copper bushing/carrier bearing that goes on the top of the column tube, and a spring and some brass spacers that go between this bearing and the a circlip at the top of the column, just below the three bolt steering hub. I didn't see another bushing/bearing for the lower end, but that seems ok..I'm assuming that the connection to the steering box supports the other end. I don't see any kind of dust cover for the lower end, but the scale rust I see on the shaft tells me that there probably never was one. Since I am not using the stock turnsignal switch on the column, I'll have to come up with something to cover that gap, perhaps a modified shifter boot would work as a dust cover.

zcarnut, does this sound like your column?
Zcarnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said copper? Sounds like your describing some of the guts that made the stock horn work (that I didnt use).The "bottom" part of the shaft doesnt have any kind of boot or cover im aware of.The shaft just connects to the "doughnut" shaft dampner.
Sounds like my setup.Does it NOT have a ignition switch on the right side of the column AND has a 3 wire turn signal switch?
If so,thats what I got.
If your not going to use the OEM turn sig switch,why not shave it off?
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My column is from an pre '66 bug....ignition was in the dash then, not on the column. I'm going to take a look at the stock TS switch, which I have, and see if it will work as a cover if I shave the signal arm. That piece of copper does have a bearing in the middle of it. inside race is driven on over the shaft, outer race and bushing squeezes inside of column tube. I'll take some pics and post them this weekend.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: